Sign in with
Your question
Solved

When insert new graphics card- hear short beep and no display/video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2012 4:23:45 AM

Hello
the computer is a slimline Hp Pavillion s3707c with an upgraded flexatx 300w power supply & the graphics card is a GeForce low-profile 98000gt.

When the computer turns on with the fans running and everything, one would hear a short beep with no monitor display. However when the 9800gt graphics card is removed from its slot, the monitor works fine.

a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 4:44:29 AM

Remove the monitor cable from the motherboard monitor connector and plug it into the same monitor connector that is on the new Video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 4:47:24 AM

I dont think a 9800GT will run on a 300 watt power supply...but if so do you have the power connector plugged into the graphics card? Is your monitors cable connected to the graphics card port, or to the same graphics output port it was plugged ino before you put the card in?
There should be a black 6 pin plug in spot on the card. You have to plug the PCIe 6 pin power cord into this location. Exactly what power supply do you have? Does it have a 6 pin PCIe power cable? My guess is it doesnt have one since a 30 watt power supply generally isnt made to run a graphics card that requires external power.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2012 5:01:38 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Remove the monitor cable from the motherboard monitor connector and plug it into the same monitor connector that is on the new Video card.

thanks for a quick reply, unfortunately the monitor's cable is Vga where the port for the graphics card is hdmi. Is a vga to hdmi converter needed?
m
l
June 22, 2012 5:06:30 AM

GI_JONES said:
I dont think a 9800GT will run on a 300 watt power supply...but if so do you have the power connector plugged into the graphics card? Is your monitors cable connected to the graphics card port, or to the same graphics output port it was plugged ino before you put the card in?
There should be a black 6 pin plug in spot on the card. You have to plug the PCIe 6 pin power cord into this location. Exactly what power supply do you have? Does it have a 6 pin PCIe power cable? My guess is it doesnt have one since a 30 watt power supply generally isnt made to run a graphics card that requires external power.

thanks for your prompt reply :)  .there have been popular forums upgrading slimlines with 9800gt's running with a 270w psu
(i.e. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1224011&highlight...)

The 6-pin power cable is plugged in firmly to the back of the gpu. The vga connector from the monitor cannot be connected to the gpu's hdmi port. would an adapter be necessary?
*Another note, when the 6-pin cable is removed the monitor works well and games like Rage, which requires the 9800gt can be played on the lowest setting.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 5:11:55 AM

If your card only has HDMI ports you will have to get an adapter, because you have to have your monitor plugged into the graphics card to see whats on your screen. Is your card the Sparkle 9800GT? If so it has 1 HDMI and 1DVI plug. I know they make DVI to VGA adapters. Usually the graphics card comes with 1. I've got 4 or 5 sitting in a drawer, so chances are if your card didnt come with one, you might know someone who has one. This is what they look like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I found this on Amazon, HDMI to VGA
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-Male-Cable/dp/B001O... there are other types too, just google it
June 22, 2012 5:46:39 AM

Best answer selected by Ubehome.
m
l
!