Looking for HTPC recommendations

g-unit1111

Titan
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Within the next two months

Budget Range: $400, $450 would really be pushing it

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming media, internet usage, Windows 7 DVR functionality, maybe some light gaming but that's not really that big of a deal

Are you buying a monitor: No - using 55" Mitsubishi HDTV running at 1900 x 1200

Parts to Upgrade: Case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, OS, SSD possibly

Parts not required: RAM (possibly - have some 4GB G.Skill 1333MHz I can use but it's 1.35V), hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 320GB), BD-R Burner (Pioneer BD-R 203), GPU (reusing GTX 550TI), PSU (Corsair CX430)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I mainly use Newegg and occasionally Tiger Direct

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Los Angeles, CA - I do have easy access to Microcenter

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No real preference, I'm leaning toward new AMD A8 APUs, I might go the Intel route and use the Pentium G680 but if anyone advises against it I'm open to suggestion - games will not really be played on this machine, it will be used for streaming media content with low power consumption.hh

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1900 x 1200

Additional Comments: This is the case I'm thinking of using, I ran into issues on my last attempted build - as the case was way too big for the shelf it was sitting on and the cabinet door didn't close properly. It is currently being used as a floater computer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163158

If anyone has any case recommendations I'm definitely open to it, but at the same time I also need one that fits in an HTPC form factor but also accommodates for a full size ATX PSU so I can reuse that Corsair CX430 without having to purchase a new one. I'd kind of like to make it look like a home theater component if possible as it will be sitting in my parents' home theater cabinet. Heat generation will definitely be a factor but I will be using the Tom's guide as a template on how to setup my air flow in this case properly.

Didn't you have a 1045T? What happened to that?

Otherwise, well, if you're planning on using the 550 TI, not much point in the new Trinity. May as well go with a cheap Athlon II or Pentium. But I'd blow the dust off that Thuban if you still have it, shut down a core or two or downclock it if you're really worried about power consumption, but honestly running it 24/7 for a year is probably not going to translate to more than $20 on your electric bill. Can't run 1.35V RAM on an Intel CPU you know?

g-unit1111

Titan

I had the 1055T and the system it's being used in now is a floater system - which is basically a Frankenstein system that I put together using all parts from old builds that I didn't have any use for. It was intended to be the HTPC but the case I got for it was way too big and I'm having a hard time finding a case that supports full ATX PSU but in an mATX form factor. I also didn't want the Gigabyte motherboard it was being used in going to waste either. :lol:

g-unit1111

Titan

It's going to be on a component shelf so even a small tower is out of the question. The Core 3000 is a great case, it just won't work for what I need it to do. The Silverstone one I linked to in the OP is more along the lines of what I want.

g-unit1111

Titan

That might work but I also need it to accommodate a full ATX PSU and a 5.25" drive bay, I'm now wondering if such a case would be like finding a needle in a haystack. :lol:

External 5.25" Drive Bays

"Stylish and compact, the cube styled LIAN LI PC-V352 stands out from the crowd with its clean lines, quality craftsmanship and classic color tones. Inside the tiny chassis, you'll get ample space for your Micro ATX / Mini ITX motherboard, standard ATX P/S2 power supply, and a wealth of features such as USB 3.0 ports and a eSATA port, slide out motherboard tray and excellent thermal performance."

g-unit1111

Titan

That might work then. How does the case generate heat? That's kind of an important factor.

g-unit1111

Titan

It says it accommodates a few fans - I guess that's enough for what I need.

I'm thinking something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($87.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-V353A HTPC Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $351.95
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-13 02:16 EDT-0400)

And then I'm reusing the power supply, GPU, and BD-R drive. Adding a Windows 7 Home Premium license as well.

g-unit1111

Titan

I had a CX430 and it shorted on me, and I sent it back to Corsair and they sent me a brand new one in box for free. :bounce:

Add to the fact that I've got a few extra parts lying around (RAM, HD, GPU, etc) and I've been wondering what to do with them so I'm thinking I might attempt the HTPC again.