Solved

Overheating GeForce 560M

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 22, 2012 5:20:25 AM

I have an Asus G74S laptop, with a GeForce 560M graphics card. This machine has been a great gaming machine, but lately I've had problems with it. I am pretty sure the graphics card is overheating, causing the machine to suddenly turn itself off. I have extra fans blowing from underneath and the side now, but it still happens.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this overheating? Temperatures climb pretty fast whenever I start a game up, but cool back down once I go back to the regular desktop. Why has it started overheating recently, but not for the first few months I had the machine? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

More about : overheating geforce 560m

a c 75 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 6:19:47 AM

Did you by any chance moved to a warmer climate? or have any change in the ambient temperature in the place where you use this laptop?
m
l
June 22, 2012 7:16:30 AM

Perhaps so... it's summer now, and warm. Not so much so in previous months. I suppose this contributes to the problem, but would it be the only cause?

In any case... I need a solution that doesn't involve moving to Alaska.
m
l
Related resources
a c 75 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 8:25:58 AM

Madwand99 said:

In any case... I need a solution that doesn't involve moving to Alaska.

Hahaha! Nicely put.

Madwand99 said:
Perhaps so... it's summer now, and warm. Not so much so in previous months. I suppose this contributes to the problem, but would it be the only cause?

If it is not too much warmer & if the room temperature is controlled, it shouldn't be enough to cause such frequent shutdown. Perhaps the fan of the gpu died. The fan's under will not help if the internal fan is not spinning in the first place. Do you hear louder whirring sound when you game (indication that fan is spinning faster)?

By the way, I notice your name "Madwand". Are you by any chance a fan of Roger Zelazny?
m
l
June 22, 2012 2:19:45 PM

I do hear a louder whirring, but that could just be from the case fan. I don't know if the GPU fan is going or not. Is there a way to determine that in software?

And yes, Zelazny fan.
m
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 11:38:53 PM

Madwand99 said:
I do hear a louder whirring, but that could just be from the case fan. I don't know if the GPU fan is going or not. Is there a way to determine that in software?

Yes, it could be the CPU fan you hear. Here is a possible monitor for the fans. I am just not sure how well it works with laptop motherboards:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Madwand99 said:
And yes, Zelazny fan.

Great! I am too for a very long time. First novel I read from him is Jack of Shadows & has been my favorite. I have collected almost all of his novels & my second favorite is Lord of Light. Nice to have a fellow Zelazny fan here at Tom's. :D 
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:31:02 AM

So, I used HWMonitor:

As you can see, temperatures got quite high even with all sorts of fans blowing on the laptop. I have no idea what fans inside the case may or may not be blowing. What can I do now? My computer is currently unusable for games, but that's the whole reason I bought this machine!

I would really really appreciate any advice here.
m
l

Best solution

a c 75 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 6:49:51 AM

It's most probably that cpu fan is not spinning. If it doesn't spin, no amount of wind on the outside will cool your cpu. So I would suggest to take it to a service center or if your laptop still have warranty to RMA it. In any case, I recommend that you backup your files & remove any important data specially those of confidential nature before you send it for repair...
July 7, 2012 4:53:05 AM

Best answer selected by Madwand99.
m
l