XAiN

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
What do people recommend for a complete new sound system? I would prefer a 5:1 setup and a sound card what won't cause problems. My budget is £250 (after VAT) or so. Preferably DTS, but not necessary as this is going to be mostly (at first completely) used for PC sound (DTS is for movie sound, right?) - the main plus of DTS is the seperate controls.

I'm looking at the Videologic Digitheatre PC. This is the Digitheatre 5:1 speakers and the Sonicfury soundcard. This card has a good reputation I gather. The problems with this is not so good subwoofer and hard to get at controls (on the subwoofer that is generally hidden) - I guess that's what you get for £145 :)

Also the Creative DTT3500 speakers (which are DTS, a bonus) which look better. However this needs a Creative SB Live 5.1 card which I gather has problems with Athlon mobos (although my SBLive value is working fine). While just about affordable, these speakers with the Sonicfury card are a no as the 5:1 capabilities of these speakers only works with SBLive 5.1s.

Am I justified in my avoidance of the Soundblaster Live 5.1 series? Is 5:1 worthwhile for games and music? Have I got any of my facts wrong? Any right? ;)

Is there any other combos people could suggest? The Videologic bundle with a remote control or at least seperate control panel would be good, with a better subwoofer it would be ideal.

Cheers,
Xain