using Nokia 5110 to dial in

Hi,

I have an old Nokia 5110 (works fine!) and from what I understand, it should
be possible to use it to dial in to my work from my laptop. Obviously I need
a certain cable for that and some kind of Nokia Cellular Data Suite. The
Nokia would then become a 'software modem'.
Is this possible, and if so, has anybody done this before? What kind of
cable do I need and what software?

Thanks,

Martijn
5 answers Last reply
More about using nokia 5110 dial

    http://www.nokia-faceplates-and-phone-covers.co.uk/Data-Cables.html

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg

    "martijn linsen" <mhkjlinsen@home.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Nokia 5110 (works fine!) and from what I understand, it
    should
    > be possible to use it to dial in to my work from my laptop. Obviously I
    need
    > a certain cable for that and some kind of Nokia Cellular Data Suite. The
    > Nokia would then become a 'software modem'.
    > Is this possible, and if so, has anybody done this before? What kind of
    > cable do I need and what software?

    No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a later
    model phone such as the 6310i.

    Ivor

    "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

    > "martijn linsen" <mhkjlinsen@home.nl> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an old Nokia 5110 (works fine!) and from what I understand, it
    > should
    >> be possible to use it to dial in to my work from my laptop. Obviously I
    > need
    >> a certain cable for that and some kind of Nokia Cellular Data Suite. The
    >> Nokia would then become a 'software modem'.
    >> Is this possible, and if so, has anybody done this before? What kind of
    >> cable do I need and what software?
    >
    > No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a later
    > model phone such as the 6310i.

    Wrong!

    Yes, you can do it, but you need Data Suite (which ships with the correct
    cable) or a standard M/F bus cable should work as a substitute. I used to
    use an Orange ED50 SIM in a 5146 some years back for dial-up internet
    access.

    --
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<

    "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a
    later
    > > model phone such as the 6310i.
    >
    > Wrong!
    >
    > Yes, you can do it, but you need Data Suite (which ships with the
    correct
    > cable) or a standard M/F bus cable should work as a substitute. I used
    > use an Orange ED50 SIM in a 5146 some years back for dial-up internet
    > access.

    I stand corrected..!

    Ivor (going off to stand in corner with pointy hat with a "D" on..!)

    > "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> > No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a
    > later
    >> > model phone such as the 6310i.
    >>
    >> Wrong!
    >>
    >> Yes, you can do it, but you need Data Suite (which ships with the
    > correct
    >> cable) or a standard M/F bus cable should work as a substitute. I used
    >> use an Orange ED50 SIM in a 5146 some years back for dial-up internet
    >> access.
    >
    > I stand corrected..!
    >
    > Ivor (going off to stand in corner with pointy hat with a "D" on..!)

    Don't feel too bad about it, you're usually right more times than you're
    wrong. ;-)

    Mind you, don't forget to write your lines (I must look before I leap) after
    you leave the corner - and I'd like my hat back sometime please.

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<