using Nokia 5110 to dial in

Last response: in Brands
August 20, 2004 4:15:06 PM

Hi,

I have an old Nokia 5110 (works fine!) and from what I understand, it should
be possible to use it to dial in to my work from my laptop. Obviously I need
a certain cable for that and some kind of Nokia Cellular Data Suite. The
Nokia would then become a 'software modem'.
Is this possible, and if so, has anybody done this before? What kind of
cable do I need and what software?

Thanks,

Martijn

More about : nokia 5110 dial

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:15:07 PM

http://www.nokia-faceplates-and-phone-covers.co.uk/Data...

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:15:07 PM

"martijn linsen" <mhkjlinsen@home.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an old Nokia 5110 (works fine!) and from what I understand, it
should
> be possible to use it to dial in to my work from my laptop. Obviously I
need
> a certain cable for that and some kind of Nokia Cellular Data Suite. The
> Nokia would then become a 'software modem'.
> Is this possible, and if so, has anybody done this before? What kind of
> cable do I need and what software?

No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a later
model phone such as the 6310i.

Ivor
August 20, 2004 5:39:43 PM

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> "martijn linsen" <mhkjlinsen@home.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an old Nokia 5110 (works fine!) and from what I understand, it
> should
>> be possible to use it to dial in to my work from my laptop. Obviously I
> need
>> a certain cable for that and some kind of Nokia Cellular Data Suite. The
>> Nokia would then become a 'software modem'.
>> Is this possible, and if so, has anybody done this before? What kind of
>> cable do I need and what software?
>
> No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a later
> model phone such as the 6310i.

Wrong!

Yes, you can do it, but you need Data Suite (which ships with the correct
cable) or a standard M/F bus cable should work as a substitute. I used to
use an Orange ED50 SIM in a 5146 some years back for dial-up internet
access.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:57:49 PM

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

[snip]

> > No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a
later
> > model phone such as the 6310i.
>
> Wrong!
>
> Yes, you can do it, but you need Data Suite (which ships with the
correct
> cable) or a standard M/F bus cable should work as a substitute. I used
> use an Orange ED50 SIM in a 5146 some years back for dial-up internet
> access.

I stand corrected..!

Ivor (going off to stand in corner with pointy hat with a "D" on..!)
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 7:09:09 PM

> "Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
>> > No you can't do this, the 5110 doesn't have a modem. You'll need a
> later
>> > model phone such as the 6310i.
>>
>> Wrong!
>>
>> Yes, you can do it, but you need Data Suite (which ships with the
> correct
>> cable) or a standard M/F bus cable should work as a substitute. I used
>> use an Orange ED50 SIM in a 5146 some years back for dial-up internet
>> access.
>
> I stand corrected..!
>
> Ivor (going off to stand in corner with pointy hat with a "D" on..!)

Don't feel too bad about it, you're usually right more times than you're
wrong. ;-)

Mind you, don't forget to write your lines (I must look before I leap) after
you leave the corner - and I'd like my hat back sometime please.

--
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
!