When installing windows 7 do i need a driver to access my hard drive

chrissyb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
had a really bad crash with laptop,so decided to format and add my windows 7 disc to do so but now when i go to setup it is saying it does not recognaise my harddrive?anyhelp welcome

chrissyb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
no hard drive is fine,the laptop recognises the hard drive when i put the windows 7 cd in gets says system 100 partition 400 or something like that,then gets to coping windows files and freezes for ages then says windows needs a driver for your hard drive

You really shouldn't but check on your HDD manufacturers website. This doesn't sound good to my mind. the 100 400 thing is normal, windows likes to create a small 100MB partition for system reasons.
What caused the crash? the most common problem would be a HDD failure especially in laptops. An odd failure that windows thinks a driver is needed.

chrissyb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
yes thats why i thought as does regonise hard drive as it creat partitions,it is proper windows disc,s i am using i have 64 bit and also 32 bit,just wondering if there is somthing in bios stopping me putting windows on to it

chrissyb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Intel Celeron T3500 / 2.13 GHz
3GB DDR Ram
500GB Hard Drive
DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
WLAN : 802.11b/g/n
15.6" Widescreen LED backlight TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA )
Integrated Webcam
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

chrissyb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
tryed again to run disc when it gets to coping windows files it freezes for ages the says windows could not format partition on disk o the error occured while prepairing the partition selected for installation error code 0x80070057

OK, thanks nothing special on the laptop front. When you are selecting the location for installation there should be an advanced button somewhere on the screen, from there you can create your own partitions. It might be best to try and do this, as it might let you see where the error is in more detail.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/4449-63-0x80070057-error

might help and again indicates a driver for the HDD, what you actually want though is a driver for the motherboard so that it can talk to the HDD. Go onto your manufacturers website, and see if they have chipset or sata drivers.