kareemroks101

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my graphics card from a galaxy gt430 to a MSI twin frozr gtx660 (non-ti), and I've been experiencing some problems, not only in gaming, that I believe is being caused by a CPU bottleneck

specs
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E7500 2.93GHz dual core
mobo: 0K83V0 Intel P45/P43/G45/G43
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX660 (non-ti) 2GB
8gb RAM
PSU: Thermaltake TRX-750M TR2 750w
Screen: LG Flatron E2350V 1080p

Firstly, the problems with games: In nearly every game that I play, it will run fine, but it randomly freezes for about a second every once in a while. I ignored this at first when I played Borderlands 2 because I heard it was a physx problem with the game, but it started happening in all other graphically intensive games (ACR, ACIII, Crysis, Prototype 2, etc.) It's not a constant lag, it'll be running around 60fps then just freeze for a second. I'm not sure is this is due the the GPU overheating or not, I've seen it max at 94C, which I know is horrible, so I'm getting a new ventilated case to fix that. There has also been audio problems in three games I've played: ACR, ACIII, and Dishonored. When somebody's talking, the audio would stop, the picture kept going, then after about 2-3 seconds the audio would return off sync. This is what mainly made me think it was the CPU since I use onboard audio, I think the CPU is doing too many things at once (maxed usage), possibly overheating then throttling back, correct me if I'm wrong about that. The final problem that I'm having, probably the most frustrating, happens inside the game and out. When I'm watching and HD video, either 720p or 1080p, or an in-game cinematic, it constantly freezes every 2-5 seconds depending on the quality (less freezes with lower quality). It's simply freezes for about a second at the same interval infinitely, making a perfect lag spike pattern in the GPU usage. It really makes video totally unwatchable.

And just as a note, none of the above problems happened with the gt430, aside from having to use lower settings.

Thank for any help in advance :D

Solution
Your CPU does seem pretty weak for the GPU you have. You should monitor temp and usage of your CPU and if it is getting bottlenecked. But even with the weaker GPU you still get spikes could still mean that the CPU is the issue, maybe because it is bad or overheating.
And also I have heard alot about Thermaltake PSU instability, so you could possibly check there for an issue.
And another thing I would do is look up for BIOS update or just reset the BIOS cause I have had many cases with BIOS going crazy after updating the hardware.

kareemroks101

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
UPDATE: I decided to RMA my gtx660 because of the overheating problems, so in the mean time I plugged my gt430 back in, and to my surprise HD videos and in-game cinematics are still freezing and lagging, even though they used to run fine with this card before I upgraded to the gtx660. So now I think this rules out the CPU being a bottleneck (and I'm probably posting in the wrong section now :na:). Could this be a problem with the PCI-E slot or something else?

tzarlazar

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Your CPU does seem pretty weak for the GPU you have. You should monitor temp and usage of your CPU and if it is getting bottlenecked. But even with the weaker GPU you still get spikes could still mean that the CPU is the issue, maybe because it is bad or overheating.
And also I have heard alot about Thermaltake PSU instability, so you could possibly check there for an issue.
And another thing I would do is look up for BIOS update or just reset the BIOS cause I have had many cases with BIOS going crazy after updating the hardware.

Solution

kareemroks101

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Reset BIOS settings, reseated CMOS, replaced PSU with the one that came with the computer, still lagging with each change. I suppose getting a new mobo and CPU is best then.