Sign in with
Your question

No input signal on HP desktop

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2012 1:52:49 AM

I have an a1630n hp desktop that stopped sending a picture to the monitor. I have already tried plugging it into another monitor but that didn't work. I should add to that the night before it stopped working I installed the first ghost recon game to play. I don't know if that could have messed with the settings display.

More about : input signal desktop

a b α HP
a b C Monitor
August 12, 2012 3:59:07 AM

your system is an Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4600+ 2.4 GHz running integrated video.

When you power on the PC you should see the BIOS splash screen. It probably has a big HP logo or something similar. It might tell you the key to enter to get into the BIOS.

If you see this, then video goes away then its a software problem. If you never see the BIOS splash, then it's nothing you did to windows or your video drivers.

Can you post whether or not you see the BIOS splash -- the debugging is different.

Aside: if you game regularly you should consider a $65 ad-in video card liek the Hd6670. Your game video will be sharply better. But first you probably want to get your current video working again.
m
l
August 13, 2012 7:26:03 AM

The pc never gets to any screen. The monitor just says no input signal then goes to sleep.
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2012 12:12:17 PM

Good.

1. With the PC turned off, power on the monitor and let it go to sleep. Now power on the PC. Did the monitor wake up briefly when you powered on the PC then go back to sleep, or did the monitor just stay in sleep and total ignore the PC powering on? (If the monitor knows the PC was powered on then some signal is getting through the cable)

2. When you power on the PC does it do any BEEPs from the internal PC speaker? (If the internal video on the motherboard was totally dead the PC should do a "no video" beep pattern)

3.Can you say what type of monitor you have and what type of cable you are using? (Typically VGA is a cable with a blue connector. There is also DVI and HDMI.) What type of connections can your monitor support (DVI, HDMI, VGA)? (VGA uses a different part of the video hardware than DVI and HDMI. Sometimes when one fails you can use another).

4. When you " ... tried plugging it into another monitor but that didn't work." Did you use the same cable or different?

The video hardware on your PC is on the motherboard. If you are still under warranty its time to call HP and they will swap MBs which is difficult. Assuming you are out of warranty then an alternative approach is to add in a new video card. This is cheaper and easier than swapping the MB, and also gives you better gaming capability. But first you need to make sure your current video is dead, and not just a bad cable, etc.

This link has photos of DVI, HDMI, VGA, Display Port, etc. connectors if you need them to identify what kind of cable you are using. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:26:32 AM

i face this very same problem from time to time and ironically mines also an HP.
this is most definately not a cable or motherboard problem because after unplugging the vga cable and also other cables and then plugging them back in usually does the job. the thing to note is that when this problem happens the keyboard also doesnt work. so sometimes just unplugging and plugging back the keyboard cable the keyboard light up again and the monitor starts displaying again. though i dont use onboard graphics i have a discrete gpu through vga to my monitor. its very frustrating sometimes and i still dont know what causes it..i too have the same processor just different graphics..just try what i said and see if the monitor starts to display again
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:05:40 AM

tsnor said:
Good.

1. With the PC turned off, power on the monitor and let it go to sleep. Now power on the PC. Did the monitor wake up briefly when you powered on the PC then go back to sleep, or did the monitor just stay in sleep and total ignore the PC powering on? (If the monitor knows the PC was powered on then some signal is getting through the cable)

2. When you power on the PC does it do any BEEPs from the internal PC speaker? (If the internal video on the motherboard was totally dead the PC should do a "no video" beep pattern)

3.Can you say what type of monitor you have and what type of cable you are using? (Typically VGA is a cable with a blue connector. There is also DVI and HDMI.) What type of connections can your monitor support (DVI, HDMI, VGA)? (VGA uses a different part of the video hardware than DVI and HDMI. Sometimes when one fails you can use another).

4. When you " ... tried plugging it into another monitor but that didn't work." Did you use the same cable or different?

The video hardware on your PC is on the motherboard. If you are still under warranty its time to call HP and they will swap MBs which is difficult. Assuming you are out of warranty then an alternative approach is to add in a new video card. This is cheaper and easier than swapping the MB, and also gives you better gaming capability. But first you need to make sure your current video is dead, and not just a bad cable, etc.

This link has photos of DVI, HDMI, VGA, Display Port, etc. connectors if you need them to identify what kind of cable you are using. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors

1. The monitor ignores the pc when powering up.

2. I never heard any kind of beep from the pc.

3. The monitor is the HP vs17e. The only port I saw was the blue VGA.

4. I did use the same cable when plugging it into a different monitor.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:09:43 AM

mohit9206 said:
i face this very same problem from time to time and ironically mines also an HP.
this is most definately not a cable or motherboard problem because after unplugging the vga cable and also other cables and then plugging them back in usually does the job. the thing to note is that when this problem happens the keyboard also doesnt work. so sometimes just unplugging and plugging back the keyboard cable the keyboard light up again and the monitor starts displaying again. though i dont use onboard graphics i have a discrete gpu through vga to my monitor. its very frustrating sometimes and i still dont know what causes it..i too have the same processor just different graphics..just try what i said and see if the monitor starts to display again

I tried what you said but with no luck.
m
l
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
August 15, 2012 4:03:14 AM

jpooh said:
1. The monitor ignores the pc when powering up.

2. I never heard any kind of beep from the pc.

3. The monitor is the HP vs17e. The only port I saw was the blue VGA.

4. I did use the same cable when plugging it into a different monitor.

We've ruled out bad cable. The same cable worked on a different PC.

Video is not working even in the BIOS, that implies a hardware fail.

There is one more thing you need to try. The BIOS can be set to not use the internal integrated graphics. Resetting the CMOS would fix that, and would not hurt anything if it does not fit it. The procedure to reset the CMOS is at the very end of this page describing your motherboard. Follow the directions exactly -- Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is powered on. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

Your PC has a "PCI Express x16 One (One available)" per this spec: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

IF it were my PC and I wanted to get it working I'd purchase a low end video card and use that instead of the integrated video. If the video fail is the only problem then this is a cheap solution. If there are other problems besides video than the new video card might be a waste of money.

Here is a $30 (including shipping) video card. It is an 8400GS, a card I use in a home theater system. It supports VGA for your monitor and should work well for you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... IF you try this please post results. Aside: If you play computer games with 3D graphics, then getting a more expensive video card would give you better game play (assuming replacing the video fixes all your PC's problems).

Install should be simple. Open the case according to your manual. Remove one screw holding the empty bracket in front of the PCIe x16 slot. A picture of your MB showing the PCIe slot is here (same document that has teh CMOS reset procedure) http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00.... Push the card straight down into the slot. Insert the screw and tighten it. (If you need to remove the card there is a catch at the far end of the PCIe slot away from the side where you plug the monitor cable that you must release. You may want to look at the catch before you slide the card in so you know how to release it.) That's it for install. Plug your monitor cable into the VGA connector on the card (not the spot on the IO shied where you used to plug the monitor), power up and you should see the BIOS screen then see your normal windows startup messages.

m
l
August 17, 2012 8:52:41 AM

How exactly do I change the jumper settings. I see where it is but don't know exactly what to do with it.
m
l
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2012 7:44:11 PM

jpooh said:
How exactly do I change the jumper settings. I see where it is but don't know exactly what to do with it.

The jumpers lift straight up. If you have fat fumble fingers like mine tweezers help. Here's a nice video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:49:33 PM

tsnor said:
The jumpers lift straight up. If you have fat fumble fingers like mine tweezers help. Here's a nice video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

Ok, so I reset CMOS with the jumpers and still the screen doesn't respond. The other user who replied said his keyboard wouldn't turn on either. My keyboard is doing the same thing and is not turning on.
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:44:03 PM

your problem is still not solved ? if your computer is in warranty i suggest you take it up with hp or show it to some local technician..
m
l
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2012 12:20:36 AM

jpooh said:
Ok, so I reset CMOS with the jumpers and still the screen doesn't respond. The other user who replied said his keyboard wouldn't turn on either. My keyboard is doing the same thing and is not turning on.

Guessing your system is long past warranty given it's X2 4600+ based.

Next step (sorry there are so many) is to make sure that Video is really the problem. Power off PC, open CASE, remove your Memory DIMMS. Power up (I leave the case open). Your PC should BEEP no memory. (The beep code for no memory is in your owners guide in teh trouble shooting section). If the PC does not beep then it is failing before it even gets to video and we have more debugging to do.

m
l
September 23, 2012 6:49:26 AM

tsnor said:
Guessing your system is long past warranty given it's X2 4600+ based.

Next step (sorry there are so many) is to make sure that Video is really the problem. Power off PC, open CASE, remove your Memory DIMMS. Power up (I leave the case open). Your PC should BEEP no memory. (The beep code for no memory is in your owners guide in teh trouble shooting section). If the PC does not beep then it is failing before it even gets to video and we have more debugging to do.

Sorry I never replied back. I see where the ram is but some cords are in the way. I don't want to be yanking on cords that have a special way of unplugging. One of the cords seem to be going to the hard drive.
m
l
October 15, 2012 7:34:11 PM

Are you still there
m
l
October 16, 2012 12:35:36 PM

is your problem solved ?
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:41:04 PM

mohit9206 said:
is your problem solved ?

No it didn't
m
l
October 19, 2012 5:27:10 PM

jpooh said:
No it didn't

just get a new monitor. 1080p monitors are quite cheap these days. you have no other option :??: 
m
l
!