Laptop CPU throttling during stress?

caughtinalandslide

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have an HP Pavilion DV6 6121tx laptop, it's about 1.5 years old. I've been doing some gaming on it (not too often) and it supported most games very well. I regularly played FIFA on it, which you might know isn't a very demanding game and my i7 + HD6770M were able to smoothly support it. I ran much much more demanding games on it occasionally as well.

But these days after around half an hour of playing it, I'm experiencing choppyness. I'm thinking it might be because my GPU/CPU is underclocking due to heat. I'll try to reinstall drivers meanwhile, but for the sake of this discussion, lets assume its not the drivers at fault.
Anyway, so I tried to monitor my temps using CPUID Hardware Monitor, and saw my CPU cores reached 93-94oC during the game. And now I've closed the game it's been around 15 mins and temps are still around 87oC. It doesn't show my GPU temp, but thats mainly because of the muxless dual graphic card switching in this laptop. GPU-Z does show the temperature and they're still around 92oC. Ambient temps are 10-15oC.

So do you think it's the heat? Or if the heat levels are fine, what can be wrong with my laptop? Is there a tool with which I can check if my CPU/GPU are actually throttling during stress?

User4798

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Install sapphire trixx it will work with any GPU so that will tell you what your GPU is running at but yes that is very hot so maby get a laptop cooling stand or clean out your laptop.

twelve25

Distinguished
If its a new problem, you probably have some dusty fans/heatsinks. Try blowing out all the vents you can reach externally and see if that helps. If not, you may have to figure out how to take it partially apart and find the dust or bad fan.