Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 680 to my PC; needed an opinion.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2012 6:39:17 AM

Several weeks ago, my tower started having an issue during gameplay, which is a black screen-no signal issue that have me forced to power off my tower everytime it occurs. I couldn't figure out what's causing this random no signal black screen but my best bet is my graphics card probably dying, i have tested other monitor and my tv hooked to my graphics and the issue still occurs.

So i decided to upgrade and getting a GTX 680 (even though i'm not sure if that's really case). However, i'm not entirely sure if my tower could handle it;

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (Default amount of fans)
Motherboard: MSI x58 Platinum Sli
Ram: 12gb Corsairs
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
PSU: Corsair 850w
Tower build: 3+ years ago.

I'm just wondering if that card will kill my motherboard, heat issue? Will i need a liquid cooler? Do i have to ugprade something else? A simple opinion to satisfy my decision will help. Thank you

More about : gtx 680 needed opinion

a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 6:56:57 AM

I do not think you have a problem. You got a great power supply & it matters more than anything else.

And the tower is fine too. It is better than most PC cases for its size & cooling capacity. In fact it is massive & no card today or even in the future will choke it. :) 
Score
June 22, 2012 7:11:11 AM

Thank you! I guess i'm save from buying liquid cooler or upgrading anything else!
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 8:19:35 AM

:)  Welcome. The new generation cards are more power efficient & for the same or greater performance, they also perform cooler than those from older generations.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 10:05:16 AM

We have extremely similar builds, your tower with have absolutely no problems, you can mount a fan within the chasis directly in front of the GPU for massive cooling (the mount came in the origonal packaging if you have it).

My reference 7970 lost 10 Degrees @ max load doing that. A 500W PSU would be enough for your system, 550W to be safe. 850W is enough to SLi a 680GTX.
Score

Best solution

a c 166 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 10:48:03 AM

The recommended Wattage for a stock GTX680 is 550Watts with the proper Amperage on the 12V rail but you're fine.

Just get a non-reference model for better cooling, components and quieter.

I love my Asus DirectCU II but it's three slots. Just look around.

Another option might be the Asus DirectCU II 670. It performs the same as a stock 680 but it's very, very quiet and has high quality parts.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...
a c 166 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 10:52:01 AM

*other:
don't forget to:
a) check for BIOS update for motherboard
b) run Memtest ( www.ultimatebootcd.com ; use memtest86+ v4.3)
c) motherboard drivers are up to date (especially the main chipset driver. get from the motheboard site.)
d) create a backup image periodically (Acronis True Image has a free version for Seagate or WD if you have a USB or internal drive. WD version software is at the software for hard drive section)
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 1:40:00 PM

Messenger said:
Several weeks ago, my tower started having an issue during gameplay, which is a black screen-no signal issue that have me forced to power off my tower everytime it occurs. I couldn't figure out what's causing this random no signal black screen but my best bet is my graphics card probably dying, i have tested other monitor and my tv hooked to my graphics and the issue still occurs.

So i decided to upgrade and getting a GTX 680 (even though i'm not sure if that's really case). However, i'm not entirely sure if my tower could handle it;

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (Default amount of fans)
Motherboard: MSI x58 Platinum Sli
Ram: 12gb Corsairs
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
PSU: Corsair 850w
Tower build: 3+ years ago.

I'm just wondering if that card will kill my motherboard, heat issue? Will i need a liquid cooler? Do i have to ugprade something else? A simple opinion to satisfy my decision will help. Thank you

Everything is good except the i7 920 you have to overlclock it otherwise you will see a bottleneck.

I know you can get 4ghz easy on an i7 920, I should know because my friend has one :) 

BTW what was your graphics card that died? A gtx 295?
Score
June 23, 2012 12:15:52 AM

Thank you for the replies, thank god im getting a great feedback helping me to love my tower more.

@Joedjnpc - I'm pretty sure i have the mount,i never trash the boxes away. I have to buy the fan though?

@photonboy - I got my motherboard bios upgraded last 2 weeks ago hoping it'll fix my black screen issue with my gtx 295, so i got my motherboard bios done, i also got the main chipset up to date too and everything else.

Currently i'm eye-ing EVGA superclock gtx 680 since a lot says EVGA manufacturer has a great service. I'm still doing some more reviews reading and looking for a manufacturer comparison review for gtx 680 that shows the Infrared thermography, Energy Consumption, Temperature, Noise and Performances just like from behardware site's gtx 580 manufacturer comparision.

@maxh22 - I don't know how to overclock stuff. Although i have the Overclock Center program from MSI, i never play much with it. Just scared to mess up my motherboard unless i can find a finished overclock setting for it online?
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 12:34:42 AM

Messenger said:
Thank you for the replies, thank god im getting a great feedback helping me to love my tower more.

@Joedjnpc - I'm pretty sure i have the mount,i never trash the boxes away. I have to buy the fan though?

@photonboy - I got my motherboard bios upgraded last 2 weeks ago hoping it'll fix my black screen issue with my gtx 295, so i got my motherboard bios done, i also got the main chipset up to date too and everything else.

Currently i'm eye-ing EVGA superclock gtx 680 since a lot says EVGA manufacturer has a great service. I'm still doing some more reviews reading and looking for a manufacturer comparison review for gtx 680 that shows the Infrared thermography, Energy Consumption, Temperature, Noise and Performances just like from behardware site's gtx 580 manufacturer comparision.

@maxh22 - I don't know how to overclock stuff. Although i have the Overclock Center program from MSI, i never play much with it. Just scared to mess up my motherboard unless i can find a finished overclock setting for it online?

You don't need any experience honestly, you can overclock with programs and its very easy to learn. There are many tutorials on YouTube that explain how to overclock a CPU.
Score
June 23, 2012 7:16:47 AM

photonboy said:
The recommended Wattage for a stock GTX680 is 550Watts with the proper Amperage on the 12V rail but you're fine.

Just get a non-reference model for better cooling, components and quieter.

I love my Asus DirectCU II but it's three slots. Just look around.

Another option might be the Asus DirectCU II 670. It performs the same as a stock 680 but it's very, very quiet and has high quality parts.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

After doing a lot of research and comparison with GTX 670 DC2/DC2T and several overclocked GTX 680 manufacturer, i gotta admit, this 670 that you recommend is promising.

maxh22 said:
You don't need any experience honestly, you can overclock with programs and its very easy to learn. There are many tutorials on YouTube that explain how to overclock a CPU.

I've tried to check in youtube however, the only ones i can find are from asus motherboard with Extreme Tweaking tab in Bios setting, i couldn't find just a standard one... Oh also thank heavens my i7 is DO revision.
Score
June 23, 2012 9:28:20 PM

Best answer selected by Messenger.
Score
a c 166 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 12:19:05 AM

overclocking and GTX 600 issues:

I have an i7-860 (HT turned off) which is pretty much identical to your 920 CPU. I haven't gotten around to comparing overclocked version non, but my experience is suggesting most games will see little benefit.

Many of my games will run maxed at 60FPS anyway so I won't bother testing these.

I will test a few games in the near future and if I seems worthwhile I'll overclock ONLY when playing those games (once you're comfortable overclocking and rebooting takes about three minutes).

Your motherboard BIOS contains settings for your CPU which relate to how power management happens. For example, if I leave one of the settings on "AUTO" the voltage doesn't drop so I don't see a power savings in idle (thus the fan will run faster and noisier). I can monitor the voltage in CPU-Z and may see a drop from 1.35V to 0.85V or whatever the exact value is when the CPU is idling and power saving kicks in. Even if overclocking it MAY be possible to see some benefit if you turn these features on in the BIOS instead of AUTO.

I have discovered if I change this feature to "ON" then I do get the benefit during an overclock, but currently I'm sticking with non-overclocked except for video transcoding.

*I also use a good CPU HSF which is much, much quieter than the stock that came with the CPU. I have a Noctua DH-14 or similar but there are good cheaper ones if you don't have one.

Also, if you don't have a FRONT case fan I advise you to get one. The first fan I got worked great, but the second, different model had a blade that hit the case so you may need to investigate that. I prefer case fans with the following characteristics:
- 12cm (or as demanded by case)
- max 800RPM, roughly 16dB
- non-variable speed
- 4-pin molex or adapter for

Good luck!
(FYI, most games work great but Batman AC still stutters. I believe it is the game not the card. A critical patch is coming out this June to address a VSYNC related stutter issue. Finally, I have weird resolution issues such as 1920x1080 scaling as 1920x1200 if 60Hz but working at 50Hz. These are all mostly solved by enabling the GPU scaling option in the drivers. I assume these are also being addressed.)
Score
a c 166 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 5:18:03 AM

If you're still there, be aware there's a new NVidia driver which is very good:

NVidia driver v304.79 BETA

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvist...

*other issues:
- prototype #1 doesn't properly detect my video card's VRAM and limits the resolution and AA capabilities. A workaround exists which works, and AA can be forced in your NVidia Control panel if needed.

- Prototype #1 and FEAR #1 both suffer from a USB issue. If I unplug my keyboard the frame rate increases. That's fine for Prototype as I use an XBOX controller. For FEAR I had to find out which USB options under HID devices in the "Device Manager" to disable (goes away after a reboot). Running a benchmark in FEAR should show if it worked or not.

**I'm very pleased at the overall results. I don't have a list of games which benefit much for overclocking the CPU but I can confirm there are some, but no enough for me to warrant a permanent overclock.

There are THREE main types of bottlenecks in a system (ignoring hard drives for load times):
1) the CPU
2) the Graphics card (GPU or VRAM)
3) the game is maxed (i.e. hits 60FPS with VSYNC ON with neither the CPU or GPU maxed)

I've found at least 90% of the games are bottlenecked at #2 or #3 with overclocking the CPU having up to 15% on some games. I'm planning on generating a list and throwing on the net somewhere.

*Again, any gamer should use a non-stock CPU HSF for less noise, and I recommend overclocking only as needed to benefit from the reduced noise brought about by extra CPU heat even in Idle mode. I've gone easily two months without doing anything, including gaming, which required my i7-860 (same as i7-920 basically) to be overclocked for any benefit.

My final post. Cheers.
Score
a c 166 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 5:23:41 AM

Oh, and my weird monitor issue was a defective Dell U2711 which was repaced the same time my GTX 680 arrived.

The workaround was using the GPU scaling mode. In this mode the GTX 680 always sends my monitor the max resolution of 2560x1440, so the scaling glitch which is INSIDE the monitor is avoided.

I suggest everyone use GPU scaling anyway.

"Display-> Adjust desktop size and resolution-> Scaling-> "Perform scaling on GPU" (AND select Aspect Ratio).

So when I switch to a game of say, 1024x768, it is scaled properly and sent to my monitor as a 2560x1440 signal.
Score
July 13, 2012 2:58:04 AM

I have this bookmarked for future guidance. And a lot of you guys are giving out good comments. Thank you!
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 9:39:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!