Need Help Troubleshooting

repulsive

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hello, I am new to the forums and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right section to be asking this but...

I've been having some problems with my computer lately.

When I turn on my computer, the screen will show all the ASUS messages and then a blinking _ will appear and repeatedly flash endlessly.

I went into safe mode and I was able to boot successfully, and after restarting my computer a couple of times I was able to get in the normal way.

What should I do to diagnose the problem here?

Also, if my computer idles for too long it'll shut off and go back to the blinking screen state again.

Thank you .

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
So you were able to get into windows and play DOTA2, meaning you got past the blinking "_"? Please post hardware specs, and if possible, any codes you are receiving following the blue screen.

repulsive

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Well I just got back home and I havn't got a blue screen since but I managed to get past the blinking by pressing F8 and selecting my SSD.

http://i.imgur.com/3vyp3.png

Is this detailed enough?

If not, off the top of my head...

PSU : Corsair TX750W
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO
CPU : Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3 ghz
Ram : Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1333 mhz
GPU : MSI GTX 460 factory overclocked
SSD : Crucial M4 60GB
HD : Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

Don't think I missed any core components.

If I get a blue screen again, I'll try to snap a picture really quick or is there another way ?

repulsive

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Update : So my computer just blue screened and I got an error

like the one in this image
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WLoXv_e54U8/TCikGN4zPKI/AAAAAAAAAAM/xkLPlQWWjaQ/s1600/th_dsc06595.jpg

On my attempt to start up again, the Crucial M4 (SSD) was not the option given to me when I was asked to select to boot my computer.
Instead, only the Hard drive and CD option was available.

Eventually after 10 minutes or so, I tried again and the SSD was available for me to launch from.

Is my SSD dead?

repulsive

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Another update : Booting in IDE mode works and my computer is able to run. However I'd still prefer the AHCI mode... :/ we'll see if I still get blue screens with this mode.