New multi purp rig, opinions welcome, ty.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello,

Im frustrated with my unstable am2+ rig so im going to upgrade to a whole new machine.

Ive been using AMD since 2006 and i feel, its time to try something new. This is what im thinking about going with.

Intel i5 2500k cpu
Asus Sabertooth z77 mobo
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gig Ram
Seagate baracuda 1.5 tb hdd ( I alread have a OCZ vertex 3 SSD 120g for windows.)

Also i already have a XFX 6850 HD, and im unsure of what to do. either, im going to just stick with the one card, because spending 400 for a good 7k series isnt really worth the small upgrade to me, or get another 6850 for less than 150 and take on the woes of a crossfire rig, but at least i could just turn one off if i need to. Problem is, Newegg doesnt have the exact same 6850 i have, it has a newer one thats got 2x 6 pin connectors and 2 fans. so if i did get one of these would it be "kosher" to use the one with dual fans and 2x pcie connectors with the 1x1 card i have already? i figure that would be better than getting a difference brand at least.

Also. I have two psu's right now, a couple year old Corsair stealthxstream? or something like that 650w psu and i just bought that 64$ Ultra 750w that ppl on newegg seem to swear by. I could just use this Ultra, but idk something about it just feels, well cheap? idk something about 78% effeciency rubs me the wrong way. just says... "meh, it works.." you know?

so if not that i was looking at the Corsair XT 750w one for 150 on newegg. looks like its decent at least.

Well, other than a case and a coolermaster heatsink i think thats pretty much it. Besides a 23.6 inch asus monitor for another 150 and a MW3 edition (cheaper) logitech g9x mouse for another 60.

The running total in my cart is $1,289.00 cost isnt really an issue but i would like to save what i could i guess.

I guess what i am asking is, what do you think? does it seem like im paying alot for nothing? ha idk i spent this much on a single core pre built in 2006 so yeh... lol ill try and get a SS of my cart or something if anyone needs more detailed information.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I guess i should say that i plan to use this system for high end games and high eye candy settings. also i plan on using alot of photoshop in the future and some to medium video editing.

I just dont want to have to think about upgrading for at least a year or two. I figure maybe i could just cutt back on some of the parts and go for like a 670 or a 7950/70/90 or something... idk

obsama1

Distinguished
I'd get 8GB of RAM and spend the money towards a 3570K and peripherals. Not sure if that Crossfire setup will work. Look on eBay and Amazon to see if they have your card. Stick with your Corsair. Better than Ultra.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
my school of thought is that if im going to 86 the 6850, instead of just getting 7850, id rather pay another 75-100 or whatever it is, for the 7950 or something like that, i want to maximize my ... mer whats the word... cost vs worth? lol idk something like that. Id rather pay 300 for a 80% performance increase than pay 200 for a 45% increase you know?

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My budget is kind of open ended, i havent had a lot of money for a few years due to illness, but now ive come into some money and besides paying for medical bills and a pending brain surgery, this is sort of the one thing that i dont want to screw around with you know? i wont really be able to do much after surgery for a while, wont even be able to sleep laying down. but this is one thing that im hoping ill be able to focus on while i recover. So, i guess i just need help making sure i dont buy something then regret what i did, did not do 3 weeks later, like i pretty much always do because i always make under educated decisions.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Yeah, but wouldnt in most, ideal situations, a crossfire of a 6850 be more than 60% of an increase on a single 6850 if not better?

ive read in a couple places that the scaling with 2x6850 is either around 30% or 60-100% in some cases.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
http://i45.tinypic.com/261p254.jpg

I took a screen of the current cart i have going. prices and all that.

261p254.jpg

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
More reliable and faster how exactly? Isnt asrock Asus's red headed step child?.. i just bought an asrock board thats already int he box to go back to newegg, its nothing special imho. im even hesitant to go with Asus after the on i had in 2006. but this sabertooth looks promising.

Also, a 7950 benches ro be better than the 670 except for in the texel rate by 14% and the 7950 is 50$ cheaper.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Meh.. you advice was that your build was faster and more reliable, and based on what i saw, all it was, was cheaper.

consideration is always... considered. I dont take someones advice as fact, hence why i ask more questions. questions beget answers. I cant speak for people, but at least in my case, id rather know all i can about the items that i spend my money on, before i spend it. forgive me for wanting to not just know what to buy, but also understand why.

forerunner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
i guess it depends on what you are talking about when it comes to comparing the 670 and 7950. It goes without saying that the 670 destroys the 6850. I might just use the 6850 until either the 670 comes down in price or i feel the need for the GPu power when some, new uber graphics intensive game comes out. 50 fps is just as good to me as 150 fps with a 60hz monitor