PC 27" Diplay w/Max 2560x1440 resolution and 120Hertz refresh rate?

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Does such a PC Display exist?

I am aware of Dell UltraSharp Model U2711 and also that Samsung has 2 models S27A850D and S27B970D with 2560x1440 Max pixels resolution with 60 Hertz Refresh rates.

But I do not seem to find that high resolutions with 120 Refresh Rate (Vertical Frequency).

Does anyone know about a Brand Model that offers both features together with a 5 to 7 ms response time?

Thank you kindly

There are some low quality brands out there with weird names but I'd stay away. Quality is really, really low and they have some higher refresh rates but aren't 3D.

What you want does not seem to exist.

I love my Dell U2711. It has a three year warranty and died just shy of two years. It was replaced in two days and didn't cost me a penny. I'm planning to get the extended warranty.

I would probably go with the Samsung if I bought again but it wasn't an option at the time.

*So basically you can choose between a lower resolution screen with 120Hz (for 3D I assume?) or a large high-res screen without it.

I could NOT go back to gaming on a lower res, smaller screen. I play Diablo 3 and SC2 at 2560x1440. (I also couldn't care less about 3D anyway).

**If you do get 3D make sure the monitor properly increase the brightness in 3D mode.

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you photonboy for your fast response and sharing of your experience with the Dell U2711

I have zero inrterest in 3D,
My interests and needs are
1. fast web browsing, pages to show or be turned fast(usually I keep over 50 web pages opened at once)
2. watching live TV and movies and shows in the PC monitor
3. high quaity image
4. general computing
5. hope to afford a Dual monitor setting
6 ZERO interest in games.

My eyes are almost 70 years young, so Display is a major issue for me specially that they likely could be the last 1 or 2 monitors i will ever buy.
Right now I own a Dell Studio 540 Desktop and I am using one Dell 2309W 23" 1920x1080 resolution 16:9 ratio 1080P FHD Wide Flat Panel LCD Monitor (it is not Ultra Sharp)
I have extensively researched the 3 models and my conclusions very roughly are:
Features of both
- Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D C$ 800
and
- Dell UltraSharp U2711 C$ 700
(Better connectivity variety including analog VGA – IPS technology)

Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D 27” Class Widescreen LED Monitor - 2560 x 1440, 16:9, Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 3000:1 Native, 5ms, Dual Link DVI, Energy Star Matt Black
(slightly better energy savings than Dell UltraSharp U2711 – PLS Technology Compatible with Dual Monitor feature )

The second Samsung Model is comparable

Now, having read very good reviews of the one you own, I am a little concerned of the fact that the technology is already over 2 years old and at the current price level of the 27 inch units. I get a feeling that Dell could be coming out with a newer model to replace it and it might happen sooner rather than later. Also the PLS Technology from the Samsung has better reviews than the IPS from Dell, it seems to be newer more advanced technology.

Thank you again.

Extra Note:
Would it be at all possible a Dual monitor setting with two monitor of 2 different sizes (my current Dell 2309W and the new 27inch to be purchased) ?
Or image would be totally distorted?

===============
photonboy wrote:

There are some low quality brands out there with weird names but I'd stay away. Quality is really, really low and they have some higher refresh rates but aren't 3D.

What you want does not seem to exist.

I love my Dell U2711. It has a three year warranty and died just shy of two years. It was replaced in two days and didn't cost me a penny. I'm planning to get the extended warranty.

I would probably go with the Samsung if I bought again but it wasn't an option at the time.

*So basically you can choose between a lower resolution screen with 120Hz (for 3D I assume?) or a large high-res screen without it.

I could NOT go back to gaming on a lower res, smaller screen. I play Diablo 3 and SC2 at 2560x1440. (I also couldn't care less about 3D anyway).

**If you do get 3D make sure the monitor properly increase the brightness in 3D mode.[/quotemsg]

If that is what you desire, a high refresh rate will have no real benefit to you. Fast web browsing is not aided by refresh rate. Movies are limited to 24 fps, not 120. Given that LCD monitors are solid state, there is no flickering, and having a faster refresh rate does have any benefit on your eyes. Just get a high res 60hz monitor, you won't be missing anything.

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

Thank you bystander,

Would it be at all possible a Dual monitor setting with two monitor of 2 different sizes (my current Dell 2309W and the new 27inch to be purchased) ?
Or image would be totally distorted as the 23in has a max 1920x1080 pixel resolution and the 27in 2560x1440. If i did this would i only be able to set the 27 inch at the lower 1920x1080 resolution -to match them both- and somehow defeating the purpose of upgrading to it?
Would the different image sizes make it unpleasant to the eye?

What do you think?

Thank you

If you use it as an extended desktop, there is no issues to having different sizes. You wouldn't want to run a program that was in a window across both monitors, as they won't line up, but as long as you open them on different monitors, there shouldn't be a big issue other than the higher DPI monitor will display things smaller than the lower DPI monitor.

MSwhip

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Guys, I appreciate all 3 contributions

I will forget the 120 Hertz Vertical Frequency (refresh rate). And decide between the less expensive and older Dell U2711 or the seemingly better PLS technology in the Samsung SyncMaster which is (also) compatible with the Dual Monitor setting.

Thank you kindly