tinkerman

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2004
Can anyone tell me why my CPU oscillates between 0 and 20% just by sitting there? (no other programs active) The process that is making this occur is SYSTEM.

Win XP pro, AMD1.2c 512ram ECS K7VZA 3.0 Bios 3.6a

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Well you have something performing a background task in order for the CPU to show activity when at idle even in XP.

You could be seeing an auto updater in the background running for something like Symantec products or you could have something nasty like a key logger program in the background.

In any case download Aida32 off a Google search and install it. That system utility will show you pretty much everything going on if your not comfortable mucking around in task managers or msconfig or system resources.

Also download AD-AWARE 6 just for kicks and run that progy and let it see if it can find any background tasks working through cookies or folders.

If you use a third party down loader software for music files like Kazaa your screwed anyways as the ad-aware will show you.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

tinkerman

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2004
I have been using Spy Sweeper by Webroot. I have used Ad-aware before and still having same results.....I am not afraid of the task managers or msconfig or system resources...just not sure where to start on it. there are some other issues plaguing me but I want ot solve this one first....

thanx

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Go into msconfig and check to see what you have running at start-up. You might disable one at a time to see if you can isolate the prgm that's running in background ...

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>

tinkerman

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2004
Oh yea, another thing that really pisses me off is the freakin thing will just hang for no apparent reason. I can be on line, off line, it really doesn'y matter. there is no pattern. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Yes the idea is now that you are overheating perhaps a power supply or your CPU cooler has a dirty fan.

Perhaps the cpu time you are seeing is because it is having power fluctuations.

Don't panic if you know your PC is older or has never been cleaned then that is something you should consider.

Careful not to give the P.C an electrostatic shock when you are cleaning it.

If your not sure how to safely clean your P.C take it into the shop and let them do it.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
GeForce FX5900
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

tinkerman

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2004
I clean it regularly with love and care (and canned air). I have left the case side off after cleaning it, and it still stops when it wishes. And this is with a fresh install of all legal software. I am in the market for upgrades but still wish to fix the issues with this one as I will give it to the kids to replace there dying monster.

:)

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
If it is an ATX power supply in the dying Monster swap it out with your newer Monster and see if your Monster works properly.

Of Course I am Scottish and my Wife is Irish and both of us were into some Guinness last night and I could have lost track of what Monster got plugged into what ? ;) As.....We don't drink much at all and simply had a few lying around from a guest that left them at Xmas. Oh and it was Saturday Night lol.

But you need to tinker with it failing that replace the P.C.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
GeForce FX5900
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x