Do i love punkbuster or what

How do i update punkbuster when it dosent update itself. Was kicked out of
games all the time.
Tried 2 update it manually with security file and client file. Didnt work. I
got those files from www.punkbuster.com. Any ideas ??

"Hajo" <hajo@hajo.no> wrote in message news:4271586c$1@news.broadpark.no...
> How do i update punkbuster when it dosent update itself. Was kicked out of
> games all the time.
> Tried 2 update it manually with security file and client file. Didnt work.
> I got those files from www.punkbuster.com. Any ideas ??

PB is kicking a lot of folks for not updating tonight. I guess their servers
are busy.

Start a dos window. cd to c:\program files\ea games\battlefield1942\pb

and then run the pbweb.bat

you /must/ cd to the directory first before running it.

L.

"Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote in message

> "Hajo" <hajo@hajo.no> wrote in message
>> How do i update punkbuster when it dosent update itself. Was kicked out
>> of games all the time.
>> Tried 2 update it manually with security file and client file. Didnt
>> work. I got those files from www.punkbuster.com. Any ideas ??
>>

> PB is kicking a lot of folks for not updating tonight. I guess their
> servers are busy.
>
> Start a dos window. cd to c:\program files\ea games\battlefield1942\pb
>
> and then run the pbweb.bat
>
> you /must/ cd to the directory first before running it.
>
> L.

Well I just tried what I said, as mine didn't automatically update, and now
I just get kicked for "Blocked O/S Privelges 508:430" whatever that means.
Guess they''ll have a new version tomorrow.

L.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:52:07 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
wrote:

>"Hajo" <hajo@hajo.no> wrote in message news:4271586c$1@news.broadpark.no...
>> How do i update punkbuster when it dosent update itself. Was kicked out of
>> games all the time.
>> Tried 2 update it manually with security file and client file. Didnt work.
>> I got those files from www.punkbuster.com. Any ideas ??
>>

>PB is kicking a lot of folks for not updating tonight. I guess their servers
>are busy.
>
>Start a dos window. cd to c:\program files\ea games\battlefield1942\pb
>
>and then run the pbweb.bat
>
>you /must/ cd to the directory first before running it.
>
>L.

How do you get to the dos prompt? I thought XP didnt even have DOS
anymore? Thanks Lorian

Rick

I know I'll go mad talking to myself.

I spoke too soon, still have the problem. Raised a ticket with
unevenbalance.

L.

Lorian wrote:

>I know I'll go mad talking to myself.
>
>I spoke too soon, still have the problem. Raised a ticket with
>unevenbalance.
>
>L.

Had the same problems. Found the solution here:
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php

pbweb.exe <http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbweb.exe> -- Put it in
your pb-folder, and execute.

Good luck!

Hpd

--
I live in my own little world, but it's ok...they know me here.

"Hans P. Dalsheim" <insolvent@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Lorian wrote:
>
>>I know I'll go mad talking to myself.
>>
>>I spoke too soon, still have the problem. Raised a ticket with
>>unevenbalance.
>>
>>L.
>>

> Had the same problems. Found the solution here:
> http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php
>
> pbweb.exe <http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbweb.exe> -- Put it in
> your pb-folder, and execute.

Alas,thats what I've been doing.

L.

"Rick" <rnorell@1west.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:52:07 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
> wrote:
>

>>"Hajo" <hajo@hajo.no> wrote in message
>>> How do i update punkbuster when it dosent update itself. Was kicked out
>>> of
>>> games all the time.
>>> Tried 2 update it manually with security file and client file. Didnt
>>> work.
>>> I got those files from www.punkbuster.com. Any ideas ??
>>>

>>PB is kicking a lot of folks for not updating tonight. I guess their
>>servers
>>are busy.
>>
>>Start a dos window. cd to c:\program files\ea games\battlefield1942\pb
>>
>>and then run the pbweb.bat
>>
>>you /must/ cd to the directory first before running it.
>>
>>L.
>>
> How do you get to the dos prompt? I thought XP didnt even have DOS
> anymore? Thanks Lorian

Well it has a command line interpreter that looks like Dos;-)

do a start->run and type cmd in the box, then press enter.

Sometime the update will work ok if you just use windows explorer to change
to the directory and run pbweb.bat, but for a reason I've not figured out it
doesn't work for some people.

L.

Lorian> Well it has a command line interpreter that looks like Dos;-)

Lorian> do a start->run and type cmd in the box, then press enter.

Lorian> Sometime the update will work ok if you just use windows
Lorian> explorer to change to the directory and run pbweb.bat, but for
Lorian> a reason I've not figured out it doesn't work for some people.

It's pbweb.exe now. I use windows explorer and just click on it.

--
Michael Bain

Lorian wrote:
> I know I'll go mad talking to myself.
>
> I spoke too soon, still have the problem. Raised a ticket with
> unevenbalance.
>
> L.

I just ran pbweb.exe from the DOS prompt and let it decide what to do,
took a small while but everything worked great.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:54:23 -0700, Michael Bain
<poppa@wetleather.com> wrote:

>Lorian> Well it has a command line interpreter that looks like Dos;-)
>
>Lorian> do a start->run and type cmd in the box, then press enter.
>
>Lorian> Sometime the update will work ok if you just use windows
>Lorian> explorer to change to the directory and run pbweb.bat, but for
>Lorian> a reason I've not figured out it doesn't work for some people.
>
>It's pbweb.exe now. I use windows explorer and just click on it.

Hate to seem like a complete newbie, but.....

Haven't used DOS in years. I remember that if you entered cd\ you
were automatically brought to the c: prompt. Don't recall the command
string to change to a specific directory, tried many variations but no
luck...

Soooo, I opened Windows explorer and opened to battlefield1942, then
pb. Lo and behold, I do not have a pbweb.exe or a pbweb.bat file.
What's up with that? BF had been working fine before I leave on a
business trip. Come home and pb kicks me off a server cause it update
itself. Not impressed pb at all

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:35:13 -0600, Rick <rnorell@1west.net> wrote:

>>Lorian> Well it has a command line interpreter that looks like Dos;-)
>>
>>Lorian> do a start->run and type cmd in the box, then press enter.
>>
>>Lorian> Sometime the update will work ok if you just use windows
>>Lorian> explorer to change to the directory and run pbweb.bat, but for
>>Lorian> a reason I've not figured out it doesn't work for some people.
>>
>>It's pbweb.exe now. I use windows explorer and just click on it.
>
>Hate to seem like a complete newbie, but.....
>
>Haven't used DOS in years. I remember that if you entered cd\ you
>were automatically brought to the c: prompt. Don't recall the command
>string to change to a specific directory, tried many variations but no
>luck...
>
>Soooo, I opened Windows explorer and opened to battlefield1942, then
>pb. Lo and behold, I do not have a pbweb.exe or a pbweb.bat file.
>What's up with that? BF had been working fine before I leave on a
>business trip. Come home and pb kicks me off a server cause it update
>itself. Not impressed pb at all
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rick

Yuck, hate major typos. I was kicked off a server because pb could
not update. Strange, but my pb folder appears to be missing the
essentials files for updating. Pb updates always worked before.

Rick

schrodinger

> "Hans P. Dalsheim" <insolvent@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Lorian wrote:
>>
>>>I know I'll go mad talking to myself.
>>>
>>>I spoke too soon, still have the problem. Raised a ticket with
>>>unevenbalance.
>>>
>>>L.
>>>

>> Had the same problems. Found the solution here:
>> http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php
>>
>> pbweb.exe <http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbweb.exe> -- Put it in
>> your pb-folder, and execute.
>
> Alas,thats what I've been doing.
>
> L.

Same here. Same problem. Another "anti cheat" or "anti pirate" method that
penalises the honest folk.

Rick,

click on this link and save pbweb.exe to c:\program files\ea
games\battlefield1942\pb

http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbweb.exe

If you are lucky it will work if you navugate to the PB folder and double
click on it (it will for most people).

It creates a log called pbweb.log. Check it for errors.

If that dosen't work paste this into a file on your desktop called pb.bat
and double click on that:

cd c:\"program files\ea games\battlefield 1942/pb"
pbweb.exe

Regards, L.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:21:00 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
wrote:

>Rick,
>
>click on this link and save pbweb.exe to c:\program files\ea
>games\battlefield1942\pb
>
>http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbweb.exe
>
>If you are lucky it will work if you navugate to the PB folder and double
>click on it (it will for most people).
>
>It creates a log called pbweb.log. Check it for errors.
>
>If that dosen't work paste this into a file on your desktop called pb.bat
>and double click on that:
>
>cd c:\"program files\ea games\battlefield 1942/pb"
>pbweb.exe
>

>Regards, L.

Thanks, Lorian! pb is now squared away. You do a marvelous job of
helping others on the ng! A big tip of the hat to you!

Best,

Rick

Rick wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:35:13 -0600, Rick <rnorell@1west.net> wrote:

>>>Lorian> Well it has a command line interpreter that looks like Dos;-)
>>>
>>>Lorian> do a start->run and type cmd in the box, then press enter.
>>>
>>>Lorian> Sometime the update will work ok if you just use windows
>>>Lorian> explorer to change to the directory and run pbweb.bat, but for
>>>Lorian> a reason I've not figured out it doesn't work for some people.
>>>
>>>It's pbweb.exe now. I use windows explorer and just click on it.
>>
>>Hate to seem like a complete newbie, but.....
>>
>>Haven't used DOS in years. I remember that if you entered cd\ you
>>were automatically brought to the c: prompt. Don't recall the command
>>string to change to a specific directory, tried many variations but no
>>luck...
>>
>>Soooo, I opened Windows explorer and opened to battlefield1942, then
>>pb. Lo and behold, I do not have a pbweb.exe or a pbweb.bat file.
>>What's up with that? BF had been working fine before I leave on a
>>business trip. Come home and pb kicks me off a server cause it update
>>itself. Not impressed pb at all
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Rick
>

> Yuck, hate major typos. I was kicked off a server because pb could
> not update. Strange, but my pb folder appears to be missing the
> essentials files for updating. Pb updates always worked before.
>
> Rick

the instructions on where to go and what to do are in this thread. You
didn't read all the previous ones before asking did ya? go to
punkbuster.com find the pbweb.exe file navigate in dos by the simple use
of cd dirname\dirname\dirname etc......then type in pbweb.exe when you
get to the pb folder in your battlefield 1942 directory. it isn't a fast
process but it works.

> Thanks, Lorian! pb is now squared away. You do a marvelous job of
> helping others on the ng! A big tip of the hat to you!

No problem, glad it helped. It's kind of ironic though that I have a problem
with the latest PB client that stops me playing altogether (blocked O/S
privilege errors, and PC crashing). I have followed all the advice on how to
fixit , but it doesn't help.

Unevenbalance don't seem to care. I guess we'll see if they release a new
version in the next day or two, otherwise my days in this group are likely
to be numbered. A sad end after 2.5 years.

L.

Byron

Can you still get past PB on Windows by just making a HOSTS file in the
Windows directory that just aliases all the unevenbalance PB servers to
localhost (127.0.0.1) on your local machine? That's how I used to get past
PB issues back in the day.

>> Thanks, Lorian! pb is now squared away. You do a marvelous job of
>> helping others on the ng! A big tip of the hat to you!
>
> No problem, glad it helped. It's kind of ironic though that I have a
> problem with the latest PB client that stops me playing altogether
> (blocked O/S privilege errors, and PC crashing). I have followed all the
> advice on how to fixit , but it doesn't help.
>
> Unevenbalance don't seem to care. I guess we'll see if they release a new
> version in the next day or two, otherwise my days in this group are likely
> to be numbered. A sad end after 2.5 years.
>
> L.

> Can you still get past PB on Windows by just making a HOSTS file in the
> Windows directory that just aliases all the unevenbalance PB servers to
> localhost (127.0.0.1) on your local machine? That's how I used to get
> past PB issues back in the day.

I guess this will kick you quite quickly for no packet flow.

L.

Byron

I figured they'd catch onto it eventually and stop it from being possible.
I played on several machines configured that way because I didn't want to
bother with staying up to date, and it worked fine during most of 2003-04.
The tip was noted in a few BF message forums, which is why I gave it a try.