Non-Standard Folder & Shortcut Icons

I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to create
your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where there are
free icons for folders & shortcuts?

Thanks!!
BMW

In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> typed:

> I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to
> create
> your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where
> there are
> free icons for folders & shortcuts?

Both software to create your own icons and libraries of existing
icons are widely available on the web. Google should produce lots
of hits.

Please reply to the newsgroup

You can use any .ico files that are on your machine.

Do a Search on your machine for *.ico this will find all ico files.

I have all my isons or copies stored in a file in My Documents.

Here are some links where you can download icons...

http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/

http://www.jeffs-icons.com/

http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html

Creating Windows XP Icons
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to create
> your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where there are
> free icons for folders & shortcuts?
>
> Thanks!!
> BMW

He can rename any bmp file to ico to. The renaming is needed for some XP
dialogs.
> You can use any .ico files that are on your machine.
>
> Do a Search on your machine for *.ico this will find all ico files.
>
> I have all my isons or copies stored in a file in My Documents.
>
> Here are some links where you can download icons...
>
> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
>
> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
>
> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
>
> Creating Windows XP Icons

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.
asp

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to create
> > your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where there are
> > free icons for folders & shortcuts?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > BMW

I knew that one.

What I do not know is what dll file is really the Control Panel. Since
Control.exe is NOT the control panel.

I know it runs under explorer.exe.

Give me a hint. I don't want to load Process Explorer right now.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23iE1%23U7YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> He can rename any bmp file to ico to. The renaming is needed for some XP
> dialogs.
>> You can use any .ico files that are on your machine.
>>
>> Do a Search on your machine for *.ico this will find all ico files.
>>
>> I have all my isons or copies stored in a file in My Documents.
>>
>> Here are some links where you can download icons...
>>
>> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
>>
>> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
>>
>> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
>>
>> Creating Windows XP Icons

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.
> asp
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
>> bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to create
>>> your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where there are
>>> free icons for folders & shortcuts?
>>>
>>> Thanks!!
>>> BMW

Shell32.dll. Most standard namespace extensions are in shell32. In Win 3.1
Control.exe was the CP. You could have looked it's GUID up in the registry
to see
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\InProcServer3

> I knew that one.
>
> What I do not know is what dll file is really the Control Panel. Since
> Control.exe is NOT the control panel.
>
> I know it runs under explorer.exe.
>
> Give me a hint. I don't want to load Process Explorer right now.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23iE1%23U7YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> > He can rename any bmp file to ico to. The renaming is needed for some XP
> > dialogs.
> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> You can use any .ico files that are on your machine.
> >>
> >> Do a Search on your machine for *.ico this will find all ico files.
> >>
> >> I have all my isons or copies stored in a file in My Documents.
> >>
> >> Here are some links where you can download icons...
> >>
> >> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
> >>
> >> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
> >>
> >> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
> >>
> >> Creating Windows XP Icons

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.
> > asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> >> bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:

Actually I did see that key.

Since SHELL32.dll = Windows Shell Common Dll I didn't believe that it was
the Control Panel.

I guess MS could've called it Blind Pig. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23hc$z88YFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> Shell32.dll. Most standard namespace extensions are in shell32. In Win 3.1
> Control.exe was the CP. You could have looked it's GUID up in the registry
> to see

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\InProcServer3
> 2

>> I knew that one.
>>
>> What I do not know is what dll file is really the Control Panel. Since
>> Control.exe is NOT the control panel.
>>
>> I know it runs under explorer.exe.
>>
>> Give me a hint. I don't want to load Process Explorer right now.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23iE1%23U7YFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
>>> He can rename any bmp file to ico to. The renaming is needed for some XP
>>> dialogs.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.
>>> asp

Thanks, Wesley!! I'm having fun with it!!

BMW

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> You can use any .ico files that are on your machine.
>
> Do a Search on your machine for *.ico this will find all ico files.
>
> I have all my isons or copies stored in a file in My Documents.
>
> Here are some links where you can download icons...
>
> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
>
> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
>
> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
>
> Creating Windows XP Icons
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to create
> > your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where there are
> > free icons for folders & shortcuts?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > BMW

Wes,
I am a little late in responding, but a thought just occurred to me when
re-reading this correspondence.

I have done a search for *.ico on my C: drive and this gives me the search
result window with lots of files to choose from.

My query is - can I save the results of this search, so that I can refer to
it again, rather than have to tediously copy all the *.ico files into a
separate folder

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

bmw wrote:
> Thanks, Wesley!! I'm having fun with it!!
>
> BMW
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> You can use any .ico files that are on your machine.
>>
>> Do a Search on your machine for *.ico this will find all ico files.
>>
>> I have all my isons or copies stored in a file in My Documents.
>>
>> Here are some links where you can download icons...
>>
>> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
>>
>> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
>>
>> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
>>
>> Creating Windows XP Icons
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:1117304026.029050.33310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
>> bmw <bmwdriver1@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I know about system32 where the icons are. Is there a way to create
>>> your own folder & shortcut icons? Is there a web site where there
>>> are free icons for folders & shortcuts?
>>>
>>> Thanks!!
>>> BMW

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html