[Solved] Will a dell XPS 8300 run a GTX 560 ti

drums101

Distinguished
what are the specs on the pc? there are a few different cpus that this pc comes with....give us the rest of the pc specs...the 550ti requires a 6 pin pcie power connector so you will have to look in the case and see if the stock psu comes with one...but I would recomend getting a new psu at least 400 watts...400watts is the min requirement for the card you could squeek by with lower wattage but I wouldnt risk it

dicklshults

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have look into the unit but i HAVE A RADEON HD 6450 installed, i assuming there a 6 pin power connect. what will be the problem if i installed the gtx 550, will it just not run or cause other problem with my computer, thanks

drums101

Distinguished
the problem would be that your pc cannot give the gpu enough power to run....the 6450 doesnt require a pcie power connector so chances are the psu you have doesnt have one but I would still check to make sure...if it doesnt you may be able to replace the psu with one that does then you would have no problem installing the new card

Carefull on the new PSU!!!! Dell use proprietry PSU (if memory serves me correctly, so you would have to purchase a new one from them, at a premium too, knowing Dell!!! :(

Newer Dells made in the last few years are standard atx. If he goes with the 7750 he doesn't need a new psu at all.

drums101

Distinguished

my apologies that was a poorly worded comment. I meant that he should keep in mind that if he goes for an option that doesnt require a 6 pin power cable (like a 7750) he will be getting less performance than a 550ti

drums101

Distinguished

dicklshults

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
thanks for all the help, but i discovered that instead of a 300 psu , dell give me a 460, that was not on the original invoice and i did have a 6 pin connector, installed the 550 ti and so far it run fine

TRENDING THREADS