Sign in with
Your question

Computer randomly reboots into Windows Failed to Start.

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2012 7:10:22 AM

Hi I recently built my computer a little over 6 months ago with no problems until lately. Recently my computer has started to freeze or randomly restart. After it randomly restarts it will sit at the MOBO screen for longer than normal and then go to a black screen that says Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

It tells me to repair with the disc which I have tried to no avail. If I do a full shutdown after it wont boot it will start up fine and then will proceed to freeze or randomly reboot at no particular time to the windows boot error screen again.

My specs are:
Windows 7 Ultimate
i5 2500k
Corsair 750w PSU
Nvidia 560 Ti
8 gig of Ripjaws
Crucial M4 60gb SSD

Any help or tips in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 8:13:46 AM

It sure sounds to me as though your SSD is becoming flaky. I would suggest backing up important data from that drive
One other thing to look at is your temps, you can download Coretemp for free here
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
See what your temperatures show - it may be that the CPU heatsink has become loose. Or it may be as simple as a thorough cleaning of fans and heatsink to get you back up and running.
m
l
August 12, 2012 5:35:40 PM

C12Friedman said:
It sure sounds to me as though your SSD is becoming flaky. I would suggest backing up important data from that drive
One other thing to look at is your temps, you can download Coretemp for free here
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
See what your temperatures show - it may be that the CPU heatsink has become loose. Or it may be as simple as a thorough cleaning of fans and heatsink to get you back up and running.

I was thinking it was the SSD as well. Didn't wanna go ahead and buy another one without getting some suggestions as to what it might be. I just blew out the whole computer a couple weeks ago.

Here's a pic of CoreTemp. Seems like everything is running pretty cool.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 5:55:19 PM

Those are very nice idle temps but don't tell a lot. Do a few things to get your computer generating more than 8W... run Prime95, play a game, watch a few high res vids but honestly, I'm thinking that isn't the issue and I am going to lean toward the SSD as the issue - thinking outloud here, I wonder if you didn't blow some kind of semi-conductive dust onto/into the SSD - you might try blowing it out specifically...
m
l
August 12, 2012 7:29:20 PM

I cleaned out the ssd connection and made sure everything was secure inside. The ssd-life said the ssd was 100% and would last till 2021, but I dont know much on how it calculates that. It ran fine for a while then programs started freezing up. Music was still playing and I could move the cursor but couldn't click on anything. After like 3 minutes being not able to do any operations, it bsod for like 1 second then restarts into the windows startup error screen. I power it down fully then back on and it starts back up fine like normal. Im not really doing anything intensive on it at the time it randomly freezes. It happens when it's at idle over night as well. Usually within an hour or two from start up. I'm really at a loss if its anything other than the ssd?
m
l
August 12, 2012 7:53:21 PM

What's the BSOD error? Also check Event Viewer for issues
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:20:43 AM

dingo07 said:
What's the BSOD error? Also check Event Viewer for issues

Couldn't really catch the BSOD because it pops up for literrally a second before it reboots.

Here's a pic of the event viewer. All the critical ones are probably when it fails and restarts. Not really sure what to gather from it though.

m
l
August 13, 2012 12:30:45 PM

That's great! BUT we need to know what's going on right Before those errors. They just indicate the computer shut down unexpectedly.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:52:45 AM

Well I think I have solved the problem. The original firmware for my Crucial M4 SSD caused it to restart after 5000 or so plus hours every hour. I believe that was the cause to my problems. I also did an extended power cycle of the ssd which is where you only have power to the ssd and it cycles the drive with no data throughput and cleans the drive of garbage. So one of those did the trick so far. I'm leaning towards the first one though.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 7:27:50 AM

trevf07 said:
Well I think I have solved the problem. The original firmware for my Crucial M4 SSD caused it to restart after 5000 or so plus hours every hour. I believe that was the cause to my problems. I also did an extended power cycle of the ssd which is where you only have power to the ssd and it cycles the drive with no data throughput and cleans the drive of garbage. So one of those did the trick so far. I'm leaning towards the first one though.

Wow, that's a new one on me... hope that's it, good luck
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:48:28 PM

This is pretty damned similar to what I'm experiencing with a Crucial M4 + ASUS P6T SE. Only just started happening. Could be SSD or Mobo. Feels like SSD since on reboot it can't see the drive. Then I fiddle or retry and it comes back again for a while.

I've unchecked the auto reboot on BSOD so I can see the message. It doesn't always BSOD, sometimes just the mouse works, network active, but cannot click anything.

The Event Log has nothing, which is interesting and might be due to the inability to commit writes to the log. But why has it just started happening??

@Trev, I'd love to hear more about how you found the solution and how you do the second part.
m
l
!