Sign in with
Your question

Optical output configure greyed out

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2012 7:58:42 PM

When I go to select the configure button to change it from Stereo to 5.1 surround, it is greyed out. I'd like to have music play from all speakers, whether it is 2.1 fake, or true 5.1 surround sound.

Asus 3 rampage extreme mobo - It is connected from the optical out, to my reciever.

Would it help to buy a soundcard with Dolby Digital Live? ]http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1766713&sku=C44-3520]
December 27, 2012 8:43:59 PM

isn't that the job of your receiver?
December 27, 2012 9:43:54 PM

The 5.1 option is only available, if 5.1 speakers are connected and the decoding has to be done by the onboard audio. If you connect the optical, the decoding is done by your receiver and the option is unavailable.
Related resources
December 27, 2012 9:54:00 PM

When I play music, I only have sound from the sub, the front left, and front right. Is there a way I can get sound from all 5 speakers?
December 28, 2012 11:49:23 AM

Yes! Play a DVD or BluRay that has 5.1 sound of some sort. Normal CDs or mp3 are stereo and don't have the 5.1 information.
December 28, 2012 6:31:41 PM

noidea_77 said:
Yes! Play a DVD or BluRay that has 5.1 sound of some sort. Normal CDs or mp3 are stereo and don't have the 5.1 information.

Yes, but is there a way that I can just fake 2.1 sterero to play out of all 5 speakers? I don't need true surround sound, I just simply want sound to come from all the speakers..
December 28, 2012 8:04:39 PM

read the manual for your receiver. I'm sure there must be an option there to do this unless you got some real low end thing.
December 29, 2012 12:35:53 AM

popatim said:
read the manual for your receiver. I'm sure there must be an option there to do this unless you got some real low end thing.

There is an option under Optical output, but it is stuck on PCM and I cannot change it.. Other options under this include dolby digital, but it is greyed out and I cant change it :S
January 9, 2013 10:50:32 AM

set your hardware receiver to Dolby Prologic II it should do the trick.

or use software player like MPC-HC set the speakers to 5.1 AND use the "Encode SPDIF" output
January 9, 2013 10:57:50 AM

Sounds normal. Most motherboards, while "supporting" Dolby Digital Live and DTS-Connect, don't enable the feature due to licensing fees. As a result, you are limited to stereo when using SPDIF, except in the case where audio is already encoded as either Dolby Digital or DTS.

Most receivers do have Dolby Pro Logic II support though, so you can fake it if need be. Pro Logic doesn't do the best job however.
!