Sign in with
Your question

Unstable new build

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2012 9:06:01 AM

I just built a new gaming computer and its unstable. It will run fine as long as I don't load any programs on it. It doesn't matter what program it is. I installed firefox and it the computer locks up. If I install yahoo messenger the computer can't even full load without locking up. Here is a parts list:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
2x GIGABYTE GV-R777OC-1GD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
750watt power supply
windows 7 64 bit
used sata hard drive 1TB

I've gone and updated everything including Bios. I have built several computers and never had this much trouble. I have used Event viewer and did everything I could to fix any issues there with no luck. The motherboard was replaced 3 days after I got it. USB ports was bad. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks

More about : unstable build

August 12, 2012 4:55:37 PM

Sounds like it might have to do with writing to your hard drive. Are you able to save files? And have you tried installing things off a cd instead of downloading?
August 12, 2012 7:07:27 PM

I have loaded some programs from cd. I can save files too. I can put the drive in my old computer and it works fine. I did find an error in BIOS and fixed it I think. I also found the my psu had a wire come lose so that had to be replaced with a 550watt. I ran a load test and everything pass. So its time to start loading the rest of my games and pray it stays stable.
August 15, 2012 10:45:35 AM

I found out that the BIOS wouldn't update correctly using window 7 64bit. I loaded 32bit and BIOS updated fine. The system is working better but I can't over clock my video cards at all or run both of them. So one card is going into my old computer for now.
!