Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First build ... and the case fans have me stumped!

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2012 11:14:54 AM

I'm building a PC with a NXZT Source 220 case, an ASRock Z77 Pro3 mobo and a Corsair CX430 PSU.

> the case has a cable from each fan with three connections; a four pin male, four pin female and three pin female
> the PSU has a cable with three four pin male connections on it
> the mobo has two three pin connections labeled CHA_Fan2 and PWR_FAN1

I'm not clear on which connections I use for the fan cables ... can someone clue me in?!

I didn't think the case fan connections would be the stumper in this build :pfff: 
August 12, 2012 11:35:34 AM

Acorrding to your case it came with 2 fans.Id connect one to CHA_Fan1 thats to the right of the ram at the top. and connect the other to CHA_Fan2.
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:36:23 AM

richard694000 said:
Acorrding to your case it came with 2 fans.Id connect one to CHA_Fan1 thats to the right of the ram at the top. and connect the other to CHA_Fan2.

So the big 4 pin connectors just dangle loose and the fan power comes from the mobo connections?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 105 B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 11:43:28 AM

Those 4pin connectors are known as Molex connectors, you can use them to plug the fan straight to the PSU (will cause the fan to run at 100% though).
The 3 pin plugs are sufficient for power, just connect them to the mobo's fan headers.

Unless its wired straight into the fan, usually you can disconnect the molex connectors from the fan to reduce cable clutter.
August 12, 2012 11:46:59 AM

The mobo has connections labeled CHA_FAN2 and PWR_FAN1 and the case has a fan on the top and rear(top). Does it matter which fan is connected to which plus on the mobo?
m
l
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2012 11:52:01 AM

It only has exhaust fans?
It shouldnt matter which you connect to. Also look around some more, there has to be a CHA_FAN1 connector somewhere. It will most likely be at the middle bottom of the board.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:30:38 PM

Best answer selected by jrau.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:32:22 PM

I looked on newegg at your board the CHA_FAN1 is on the right side of the memory aboe the 24 pin connector.
m
l
August 12, 2012 6:26:12 PM

manofchalk said:
It only has exhaust fans?
It shouldnt matter which you connect to. Also look around some more, there has to be a CHA_FAN1 connector somewhere. It will most likely be at the middle bottom of the board.

I'm remembering an article on Tom's about optimum airflow to find/reread. I'm wondering though ... if I have two case fans won't I get more airflow if the are running the same direction ... meaning both intake or both exhaust? Since there is no way to pressurize a case with all the grills I would thinktwo fans in the same direction add cfm ... in opposite directions they don't.
m
l
August 12, 2012 7:26:52 PM

jrau said:
I'm remembering an article on Tom's about optimum airflow to find/reread. I'm wondering though ... if I have two case fans won't I get more airflow if the are running the same direction ... meaning both intake or both exhaust? Since there is no way to pressurize a case with all the grills I would thinktwo fans in the same direction add cfm ... in opposite directions they don't.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...
m
l
!