NZXT Phantom/ASROCK Extreme6 fan question

SpazeGoat

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I'm building a system for the first time and I have a question concerning the NZXT Phantom case, ASRock Extreme6 mobo, and the built in fan controller.

The MOBO has these fan connectors:
- 2 x CPU Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin)
- 3 x Chassis Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 2 x 3-pin)
- 1 x Power Fan connector (3-pin)

Fans:
FRONT, 1 X 140mm
REAR, 1 X 120mm
SIDE, 2 x 120mm, 1 x 200mm
TOP, 2 X 200mm
H100 Radiator fans 2x 120mm

I plan on buying the additional fans for the case (7 in total), and the H100 Corsair. Since I have more fans than connectors, what are my options? I know they can be directly plugged into the PSU, but I'd prefer to be able to control fan speeds through my MOBO/OS. How does the built-in fan controller factor into this?

Plugging fans directly into the PSU will run in at maximum speed at all times? Besides noise, is this a problem? I'd just like a basic understanding how I will have to hook up 7 fans and the H100 before I purchase. What are my options?

Thank you,
-M

SpazeGoat

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
The case comes with a fan controller that supports 5 fans. So I would need an additional fan controller if I didn't want to plug the additional fans directly into the PSU? Do the fan controllers work with the MOBO? Would I be able to control all fans from my OS? I'd like to have all the fans on automatic and only speed up when necessary. Also, would I plug the H100 fans into the mobo or a fan controller if I bought one?

SpazeGoat

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Also, how do you set the rotation of the fan- to push or pull air... to intake or vent. I'm sorry, I know these must be newb questions, but I've never built my own system before. TYVM for the help.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
in the front of your case the fans should pull cool air in / pull out warm in the back out on the top ,in toward the cpu on the side, I cant tell from the pictures but does that case have room on top for the dual fan radiator of the H100 if not and the hoses are long enuff you can direct the air out the side panel but that is iffy if you open the side of the case much,better check into that

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Yes that is right all the fans will run at the same speed and I would not connect more than 2 fans to one m/b connector :sol:

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
ok I read the specs, you may be able to remove the 200mm fan from the top and put it on the side panel blowing in, and mount the radiator to the top blowing out,(u would still have to do some modifying) The H 80 would be simpler though, remove the rear fan and stick the radiatior there blowing out,and use the rear fan somewhere else, with all the fans your planning on I dont see a problem keeping it cool and you might want to tether it down so it dont fly away, LoL

SpazeGoat

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Lol, I hope my expensive rig doesn't fly away! I've looked into it and it is possible to mount the H100 radiator in front of the 2x 200mm on the top. Depending on how some people set it up, it can also function as a push/pull system. The only issue was the height of the memory, but with the low profile Corsair Vengeance, everything should fit nice.

SpazeGoat

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will use the built in fan controller for 5 of the case fans, then plug-in the H100 radiator fans and 2 additional case fans with use of one splitter into the motherboard. This way I'll have control over all of my fans. I likely leave the motherboard plugged fans on automatic and I'll have to experiment with the 5 other fans manually.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Defiantly plug the H100 into the motherboard cpu terminal it probably has PWM (pulse width modulation) which tells the bios there is a fan there spinning and how fast it is going, if it dosen't detect a certain speed (usually 600 rpm minimum) it will shut down,.