Sign in with
Your question

Quick Question on graphics card ( new to this)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2012 5:37:35 PM

Ok so i order to diffrent Radeon HD 7770 one by xfx and the other sapharre

one came with a power cord ( the saphaire one) but the xfx didnt.

are the power needed, or only the saphaire needs it, bc it says it does on the box.

also would i need them both to have a power cord if im going to do crossfire?

also stupid question but, once i get the computer started and running am i connecting my moniter to the card or to the mobo
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 7:58:46 PM

Yes, you need to connect a 6-pin power connector to both cards. Also, you need a crossfire bridge that connects on the top of both of them.

It would look something like this:
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:04:42 PM

ninjadudexp said:
Ok so i order to diffrent Radeon HD 7770 one by xfx and the other sapharre

one came with a power cord ( the saphaire one) but the xfx didnt.

are the power needed, or only the saphaire needs it, bc it says it does on the box.

also would i need them both to have a power cord if im going to do crossfire?

also stupid question but, once i get the computer started and running am i connecting my moniter to the card or to the mobo

Both cards need to be plugged into the PSU, and they must have a CrossFire bridge between them in order for anything to even happen. Plug your monitor into either GPU. If you don't have the correct cables, you may need to buy a new power supply (In which case, I would recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Xfire Bridges should be relatively cheap, and found on Newegg.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Changed SLI to Crossfire... Silly me.
m
l
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 8:28:27 PM

Yes, it should work fine.

If anything goes wrong, OCZ doesn't have a good track record for quality of products.
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:30:14 PM

ninjadudexp said:
yeah i already have the bridge and i have this as my power supply

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

even tho it doesnt say cf ready it should work fine right?

and thanks for the other information

You should have no problems delivering power, but OCZ doesn't tend to be the most reliable brand. God forbid your PSU dies, but if it does then definitely consider that Seasonic. I have the 560km, and it is absolutely amazing.

Good luck, and have fun with all that processing power!
m
l
June 23, 2012 1:52:14 AM

yeahh thanks ill see if i get the seasonic, im in the middle of trying to find a good psu for a reasonable price
m
l
June 23, 2012 1:56:30 AM

ninjadudexp said:
yeahh thanks ill see if i get the seasonic, im in the middle of trying to find a good psu for a reasonable price

Well Seasonic is supposed to be the greatest PSU manufacturer, or so they tell me. The great thing about that particular KM series is that the fan won't even turn on unless the PSU is under heavy load, which makes it completely silent. I have had mine for a couple months, and it hasn't turned on yet. I can leave my computer on at night to download a system restore from the server or something, and not even hear the computer.
m
l
!