Will an am3 processor work with my am2+ motherboard?

Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to upgrade my CPU for a while now for gaming purposes. I currently want to get an AMD Phenom II X4 965, an am3 processor. My motherboard is a Gateway RS780. The question is, will this processor work with my CPU socket? I have heard that am3 processors will work with most am2+ motherboards, but they require some sort of BIOS update and some sort of RAM. I currently have 8 gigabytes of DDR2 RAM. Another problem I have is that I upgraded my OS to Windows 7, while the BIOS update on the support site only applies to Windows Vista and Windows XP. Lastly, who should I get to install the CPU if it is compatible? Or is it fairly easy?

Here is the link to my motherboard support website:
http://support.gateway.com/s//MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rnv.shtml

Link to the processor I want:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Thanks in advance!

- Eli
9 answers Last reply
More about will processor work motherboard
  1. Hi, the CPU will not work (it's 125W).
    From the specs:
    Processor Support
    Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors
  2. So do I have to upgrade my motherboard?
  3. It seems so. Or get a 95W Phenom.
  4. alexoiu said:
    It seems so. Or get a 95W Phenom.

Original phenom. Doesn't appear to support Phenom II at all. There was a 9750 that was 95 watts. Imagine its hard to find these days. Probably are better off with a new board at this stage.
  5. A Phenom 9750 2.5 is as high as you can go according to the gate way site unless they have a bios update for your board ,AMD makes a 95 watt phenom II x4 945 it's a 3.0ghz thats what i'm using and I went from a x2 6000+ to this with a bios upgrade, check thier support site
  6. papablista said:
    A Phenom 9750 2.5 is as high as you can go according to the gate way site unless they have a bios update for your board ,AMD makes a 95 watt phenom II x4 945 it's a 3.0ghz thats what i'm using and I went from a x2 6000+ to this with a bios upgrade, check thier support site

The 9750 was a 2.4. But come to think of it, there was a 95w 2.5ghz 9850 announced right around the time the Phenom II was released. Never saw it in stores, but it was announced.
  7. So should I get a new motherboard or upgrade to the Phenom II x4 945 95w?
  8. If you want to future proof I'd look at new boards also memory most new boards don't support ddr2 memory ddr3 is cheap though 4 or 8 gigs is plenty and 8 can be had under $50 usd also check the back of your case most of those propritary systems don't have normal I/O panel placement u may need a case what is the model number of your gateway
  9. I have a Gateway dx4200-09. Also, do you guys have any motherboard recommendations? Or CPU recommendations for that matter.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Motherboards Product