Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Crysis 2 makes a GTX550 Ti reach 89c?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 7, 2012 8:23:52 PM

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my GT240 to a GTX550 TI, wich I assume was a good choise.
I did this to be able to play Skyrim on medium/high setting with a solid 60 fps.
The problem with the GT240 was that it started to lag after 2/3 hours of playing (I think it was because the temperature raised to 49 degrees celsius).
So I bought the GTX 550 TI (Asus) for a better endurance and better performance (but I have not changed the graphics settings).
The game plays fine with 60 fps for around 30 to 45 minutes, and than I start to hear the GPU fan getting louder with every minute and wich means that the GPU temperature rises to 80 degrees celsius (wich makes the fan go crazy).
I don't understand why a graphic card that is almost twice as good as my previous graphic card gets so hot for such a short amount of time.
Also, I bought the graphic card today! wich makes it even more sad :cry:  .
Here are my system specs:

Processor: Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06Ghz
Ram:4096 MB RAM
PSU:460 Watt (The GTX 550 TI of Asus requires a minimum of 400 Watt)

I have not installed the graphic card myself but by the people in the store.
And to read the temperature of my graphic card I use ''MSI Afterburner''
I hope this is enough information.

PS: This is the first time that I seek for help at a forum so excuse my mistakes :sarcastic: 
March 7, 2012 9:40:39 PM

1) Did you overclock it?
2) Tell us more about your case and the case fans?
3) What are your motherboard and CPU temps looking like after 45 minutes of play?

I'm speculating that heat is building up in your case with poor heat evacuation?
March 7, 2012 9:53:53 PM

Well first of all thank you for replying

1)No I did not overlock it, because I just bought the GPU today and I can't overlock
2)Uhmm... I assume I have a regular case with no extra fans in it (CPU fan, PSU fan, GPU fan and a small harddrive fan)
3) Core 1=44c and Core2=38c
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 9:56:01 PM

Quote:
1) Did you overclock it?
2) Tell us more about your case and the case fans?
3) What are your motherboard and CPU temps looking like after 45 minutes of play?

I'm speculating that heat is building up in your case with poor heat evacuation?


I agree it's probably heat building up in the case. check to make sure your fans in your case are still working. When the card starts lagging, put your hands on the case and check to see if it feels hot to the touch.
March 7, 2012 10:02:39 PM

The case indeed is warm, and the GPU fan is pretty loud (wich is one of my biggest problems).
March 7, 2012 10:19:26 PM

Are there any other suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2012 10:21:17 PM

if it is overheating, cleaing your case, take out all the dust... if you can get an cheap $5 fan and put in your case as intake, since you have an exhaust case you will be getting better cooling.

This is something if read, will be having a better understanding how heat works into your case and your parts...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

Its quite good to get a nice $50 case with features of space and good cooling..
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 3:37:32 AM

In the MSI Afterburner are you setting your fan to increase when your temps start to go up? You feel into the same trap I did. The 550 Ti's are not the best card to get for the money.

You might want to run a house fan with the side of the case off untill you can either get a bigger case or are able to add more fans. Another problem is your CPU only being a core duo

What is your PSU's brand, model and how many watts is it? Also while looking at it write down the numbers from it on the sticker they should look something like this 3.3v +15a = 5.0v +18a = 12v 15a.

Write down the numbers you see and reposte them. But you are having a heat issue but what I am trying to do is figure out a way to cool things down before you have to spend money. Good luck
March 8, 2012 9:29:41 AM

I have a 460 Watt psu
March 8, 2012 9:31:26 AM

And sorry I can't check the ''psu rate'' at the moment, I will send it in soon
March 8, 2012 10:56:18 AM

What's funny is the CPU temps look ok, but your CPU fan shouldn't be on full blast either. +1 on the suggestion to remove the side cover and blow a house fan into the whole rig. Play your game and if it still lags after 45 minutes then something else is going on.

Maybe you have an antivirus program (or some other program in the background) kicking in hogging resources?

Also, long shot, I don't know if your GPU has 1 or 2 fans, but peek inside if it has 2 fans and make sure both fans are running...
March 8, 2012 11:38:46 AM

Well that is the strange part: the case and the hardware are dust free because the computer itself is fairly new,
And I have tried playing with the case open wich had a positive effect!
The gpu was like 10 degrees lesser than it is with the case on it.
But I don't think that playing with a open case is really a option :??: 
Maybe that there is another sugestion?
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 1:03:52 AM

Playing with the case open is to find out if your CPU and GPU are having a heat issue.
That is why I suggested put a fan blowing air into the case and just see if your problem goes away.

We are not saying this is the fix. We are just troubleshooting.
If it is a heat problem then we will know what to do next.
Once we determine what is causing the problem. Then we can advise you.

So please indulge us a little and we should be able to fix your problem.
Another problem could be your PSU.
Just because it shows 460w dosn't mean it has enough power on the 12v rail.

Something is causing your GPU to run hot.
When I got my rig and playing games both of my cards temps went to 84c and I was having all kinds of lag.
So I turnd the GPU settings down for the game and my temps were 64c.

But that was my fix with the games I play which is not the same as your games.
I also have 7 case fans 4 exhaust fans and 3 intake fans.
The exhaust fans are 1x200mm, 3x120mm and the intake 3x200mm.
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 1:43:57 AM

how long do u have with your gpu? you can rma it and get a new one, if its overheating and theres not many solutions the problem is it...
March 10, 2012 12:49:55 PM

Quote:
Well that is the strange part: the case and the hardware are dust free because the computer itself is fairly new,
And I have tried playing with the case open wich had a positive effect!The gpu was like 10 degrees lesser than it is with the case on it.
But I don't think that playing with a open case is really a option :??: 
Maybe that there is another sugestion?


You've kind of confirmed at least part of the possible problem, heat build up in the case. Like DM has suggested, that tells you something. No you don't want to play with your case open necessarily, but it tells you that with some better fan management you could reduce the temps.

If you're using a PC from Best Buy they typically have tiny little cases with hardly any fans. I had a Gateway once and put a 9600GT and a Corsair 550w in it and would get heat-crash lock up issues periodically. One day I noticed it happened when it was warm in my office. Sure everything worked, but the bigbox store prebought just didn't have the ventilation in it for big heat generating add ons.

Like DM suggested, download MSI Afterburner and adjust the fan curve so that it kicks on earlier. Of course, if you don't have good ventilation in your PC, this won't do much good. Or do like I used to do and just make it super cold in your office.
March 18, 2012 10:44:37 PM

Hello,

I am having some temperature issues that keep me from playing Skyrim.
My system specifications are:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06Ghz
GPU: GTX 550 Ti 1GB
RAM: 4GB
PSU: 460 Watt

So here is my problem, the game itself runs at 55 to 120 fps (55 fps at very intense moments and 120 fps in houses), but the GPU is reaching temperatures like 84c.
And when the GPU reaches 84c, the fan gets really noisy that I can hear it over my sounds in the game.
What I think the problem is, is that the CPU is almost not doing anything.
Because when I open ''taskmanager'' it shows me that Skyrim is only using around 4 per cent of CPU usage.
And that Skyrim only costs around 750.000 kB, wich is strange because the game requires atleast 2GB of RAM.
So I think that either everything or too much is being done by only the GPU.
Tell me if I am wrong, and if there is a way to balance the CPU and GPU and RAM usage of Skyrim.
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 10:50:29 PM

All that is good, I would not worry, but if you want to get the temps and fan noise down to more manageable levels, turn on v-sync and it'll cap you at your monitors refresh rate, which is likely 60hz.
a c 170 U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 11:20:32 PM

I agree, turn on VSYNC.

Other:
- make sure your CASE has proper cooling (i.e. 120mm fan at bottom-front, and another 120mm case fan at top-rear. They should be quiet, low RPM fans of no more than 20dB each.)

- 4% CPU usage? That's not possible. What's likely happening is that the game stops using your CPU once you TAB to see the Task Manager. You need to go by the graph for ALL the cores under "performance"-> "cpu usage history" and look at what it just was, not what it is now.

- RAM 750kB. I think you mean 750MegaBytes. Anyway, there's no issue here. The game wouldn't even run if this was screwed up. Either it only needs 750Megabytes or you're reading the wrong numbers.

- High temp: the GPU temp is a result of the heat it generates itself plus the heat inside the case. When you have VSYNC disabled the game simply creates as many frames as possible per second until either the CPU or the graphics card becomes the bottleneck. 120FPS is pointless as a flat screen monitor usually only displays 60FPS (you can also get screen tearing without VSYNC enabled).

*Even with VSYNC enabled, if your CPU or graphics card isn't powerful enough to reach 60FPS one of those two is the bottleneck. If your CPU is hitting 100% on at least one core it's probably the bottleneck. If it does NOT reach 100% on ANY core then your graphics card is the bottleneck. (If your CPU hits 80% there's little point in upgrading your graphics card since the CPU would then become a bottleneck. If it was 50% you could upgrade to a card that gets 2x the FPS in benchmarks.)
March 18, 2012 11:45:39 PM

Quote:
I agree, turn on VSYNC.

Other:
- make sure your CASE has proper cooling (i.e. 120mm fan at bottom-front, and another 120mm case fan at top-rear. They should be quiet, low RPM fans of no more than 20dB each.)

- 4% CPU usage? That's not possible. What's likely happening is that the game stops using your CPU once you TAB to see the Task Manager. You need to go by the graph for ALL the cores under "performance"-> "cpu usage history" and look at what it just was, not what it is now.

- RAM 750kB. I think you mean 750MegaBytes. Anyway, there's no issue here. The game wouldn't even run if this was screwed up. Either it only needs 750Megabytes or you're reading the wrong numbers.

- High temp: the GPU temp is a result of the heat it generates itself plus the heat inside the case. When you have VSYNC disabled the game simply creates as many frames as possible per second until either the CPU or the graphics card becomes the bottleneck. 120FPS is pointless as a flat screen monitor usually only displays 60FPS (you can also get screen tearing without VSYNC enabled).

*Even with VSYNC enabled, if your CPU or graphics card isn't powerful enough to reach 60FPS one of those two is the bottleneck. If your CPU is hitting 100% on at least one core it's probably the bottleneck. If it does NOT reach 100% on ANY core then your graphics card is the bottleneck. (If your CPU hits 80% there's little point in upgrading your graphics card since the CPU would then become a bottleneck. If it was 50% you could upgrade to a card that gets 2x the FPS in benchmarks.)

Okay, if you say that this will lower my GPU temperatures than I will do it.
But there is one problem, I disabled the VSYNC in Skyrim via the Skyrim settings ini. because Skyrim does not have a ''official VSYNC option''.
So I typed in something like ''iPresentinterval=0'' to disable VSYNC, so should I just remove the text in order to turn VSYNC on again?
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 19, 2012 12:17:41 AM

You could try to enable v-sync in Nvidia control panel. That usually works.
March 19, 2012 3:44:48 AM

Quote:
You could try to enable v-sync in Nvidia control panel. That usually works.

Mhh, I did set v-sync back on but the performance was bad, for example: when I turn to the right it costs around 1.5 seconds till I turn to the right.
And still the GPU was getting noisy, are there any other options?
April 30, 2012 9:24:40 PM

Hello,

I have been playing MW2 on the GTX550ti with 90 average fps.
But I have noticed that the GPU gets up to 84c!
How can I stop this from happening?
April 30, 2012 9:50:28 PM

My SLI'd 580's generally peak at around 80c playing battlefield 3.

Your cards max thermal envelope is 100C. I would worry if you get up to 95C.

But if you are still worried and your monitor is 60hz I recommend turning on vertical sync. It will match your FPS with your monitors max(60hz=60FPS) that way your computer isn't making frames that your monitor can't show you.
a c 205 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 11:13:31 PM

or download msi afterburner and make a new fan profile for the game.see what the temp and speed is at stock and then go from there to raise the speed of the gpu.
May 27, 2012 11:08:09 AM

Hello,

I have a strange problem with the temperature of the computer.
When I play Dawn of War, the pc starts rising to high temperatures like 83c (GPU).
Though this computer should handel Dawn of War 2 easy?
These are the system specs:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06GHz
GPU: GTX550 Ti
RAM: 4GB
And this is not only the problem with Dawn of War 2, I used to play BF3 without reaching these kind of temperatures, and now the CPU reaches 50c for a game as
Dawn of War 2.
It might be the summer temperatures that make the computer warmer, but I do not think that the summer will make the computer 20c hotter.
Can some somebody please help me out?

Thank you for reading.
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 11:23:45 AM

the temps will rise proportionately to the ambient temps so i dont know where you live but it is realistically possible to have temps within those ranges also when was the last time you cleaned out your system for dust?? check that too!
May 27, 2012 11:31:47 AM

Quote:
the temps will rise proportionately to the ambient temps so i dont know where you live but it is realistically possible to have temps within those ranges also when was the last time you cleaned out your system for dust?? check that too!

The case and the fans are dust clean, and it is 25c in my room.
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 11:59:55 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I have a strange problem with the temperature of the computer.
When I play Dawn of War, the pc starts rising to high temperatures like 83c (GPU).
Though this computer should handel Dawn of War 2 easy?
These are the system specs:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06GHz
GPU: GTX550 Ti
RAM: 4GB
And this is not only the problem with Dawn of War 2, I used to play BF3 without reaching these kind of temperatures, and now the CPU reaches 50c for a game as
Dawn of War 2.
It might be the summer temperatures that make the computer warmer, but I do not think that the summer will make the computer 20c hotter.
Can some somebody please help me out?

Thank you for reading.

50 Celcius at load for processor & 83 Celcius at load for GPU are not bad. They are within normal operating temperature.
When you say 20c hotter, do you mean your processor use to run at 30c at load & the GPU at 63c at load before?
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 12:23:39 PM

Quote:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1185&ga...

And as you can see, this computer should run this game very easy.
So it should not make as much noise as a vacuum cleaner does.
How can I fix this?

noise depends on the gpus cooler and fan sizes etc sounds like you have a cheaper card with crappy heatsink and fan config my gear never gets loud but thats due to the heatsinks etc on my gear. if it has dirty big fans/multiple fans they dont have to spin as fast as smaller fans etc and fan speed is proportionate to the temps and fan profiles i havent played dow2 i played the first one years ago and i do play alot of bf3, just because the bf3 looks better and is better doesnt mean that when they coded dow2 they coded it as efficiently bf3 for example thus making your hardware work as hard as if you were playing bf3 for a lesser result. is it a constant gpu fan speed or is it quiet then loud maybe the fan profile is set for silent making it hold off spin ups as long as possible and then when it does spin up it struggles to get it back under control. also its worth trying changing your nvidia driver as there may be an issue there too. im just speculating here but im pretty sure it will be something along those lines. what is the exact gpu make and model? temps in the 80s are not unusual for gpus and they dont usually throttle speed to over 100c. just did a test on mine i ran furmark couldnt get my 6950overclock over 56c and 47% fan but my room temp is prob about 20 at the moment this is my gpu though http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/3/3693/3749....
May 27, 2012 1:14:44 PM

Quote:
noise depends on the gpus cooler and fan sizes etc sounds like you have a cheaper card with crappy heatsink and fan config my gear never gets loud but thats due to the heatsinks etc on my gear. if it has dirty big fans/multiple fans they dont have to spin as fast as smaller fans etc and fan speed is proportionate to the temps and fan profiles i havent played dow2 i played the first one years ago and i do play alot of bf3, just because the bf3 looks better and is better doesnt mean that when they coded dow2 they coded it as efficiently bf3 for example thus making your hardware work as hard as if you were playing bf3 for a lesser result. is it a constant gpu fan speed or is it quiet then loud maybe the fan profile is set for silent making it hold off spin ups as long as possible and then when it does spin up it struggles to get it back under control. also its worth trying changing your nvidia driver as there may be an issue there too. im just speculating here but im pretty sure it will be something along those lines. what is the exact gpu make and model? temps in the 80s are not unusual for gpus and they dont usually throttle speed to over 100c. just did a test on mine i ran furmark couldnt get my 6950overclock over 56c and 47% fan but my room temp is prob about 20 at the moment this is my gpu though http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/3/3693/3749....

But it does not make any sense to me why the computer is getteng so hot on other games like Killing floor and Left 4 Dead 2.
Because it did not used to be so hot.
Could it be a driver problem?
May 27, 2012 1:15:17 PM

Quote:
50 Celcius at load for processor & 83 Celcius at load for GPU are not bad. They are within normal operating temperature.
When you say 20c hotter, do you mean your processor use to run at 30c at load & the GPU at 63c at load before?

Exactly
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2012 1:23:06 PM

Quote:
Exactly

What was the ambient room temperature when you were getting the processor at 30c at load & the GPU at 63c at load?
May 27, 2012 1:32:40 PM

ok well you talk about your case and fans being clean but did you pull out your video card and blow out the dust that gets stuck in there. If your video card gets hot it will make the temp in the case rise which in return will make cpu get hot.
May 27, 2012 1:35:08 PM

Quote:
ok well you talk about your case and fans being clean but did you pull out your video card and blow out the dust that gets stuck in there. If your video card gets hot it will make the temp in the case rise which in return will make cpu get hot.

Well the GPU is only 4 months old, so I did not saw any dust in the fan of the GPU, only on the GPU it self (the blue part?).
May 27, 2012 2:19:42 PM

Quote:
What was the ambient room temperature when you were getting the processor at 30c at load & the GPU at 63c at load?

In the living room it is 25.5c and since my the pc is on the second floor, it must be around 26c.
May 27, 2012 2:21:48 PM

And I made a mistake about the CPU temperature, it used to be around 38c to 44c at load, and now it is 42c to 50c at load.
And the fan used to make around 2500 rpm at the max temperature, and now it makes around 3100 rpm, this really scares me, because I hope this will not get standard.
I can't stand a noisy computer :s.
May 27, 2012 2:22:37 PM

have you ever used EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner. You can control the fan speed of the GPU by its temps. You can also show the temp, gpu usage, memory usage of the video card on your screen while in game.
May 27, 2012 3:49:32 PM

Quote:
have you ever used EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner. You can control the fan speed of the GPU by its temps. You can also show the temp, gpu usage, memory usage of the video card on your screen while in game.

I am using MSI Afterburner, but the problem is the amount of noise the GPU makes.
And what I do not understand is, why does the GTX550 Ti struggle to run DoW 2?
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 12:05:02 AM

Quote:
But it does not make any sense to me why the computer is getteng so hot on other games like Killing floor and Left 4 Dead 2.
Because it did not used to be so hot.
Could it be a driver problem?

i already said update your driver to see if it helps, left for dead games dont push your hardware at all any old computer should be able to push lfd2 at well over 100fps, i also mentioned the efficiency in which its coded
May 28, 2012 12:12:24 AM

Are you sure there aren't any fans out completely? Seems like if old games are running hotter, some part of the cooling system is no longer cooling the way it used to.
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 12:16:35 AM

Quote:
And I made a mistake about the CPU temperature, it used to be around 38c to 44c at load, and now it is 42c to 50c at load.
And the fan used to make around 2500 rpm at the max temperature, and now it makes around 3100 rpm, this really scares me, because I hope this will not get standard.
I can't stand a noisy computer :s.

so what your saying is that your compu is 6 degrees hotter in summer than say winter thats good! maybe also consider getting aftermarket cpu cooler so that heat is getting thrown straight out the back instead of recirculating it round inside your case and raising your ambient case temps what case do you have? have you done some cable management so the clean air flow gets thru? what is your case fan setup? if you have a fan mount on the side of your case opposite your gpu mount a fresh air intake there that will help heaps and a 120mm fan will be quieter than a 80mm gpu fan
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 12:19:31 AM

Quote:
Are you sure there aren't any fans out completely? Seems like if old games are running hotter, some part of the cooling system is no longer cooling the way it used to.

remember he is comparing it too 4months ago when he got it, which would have been in winter
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 5:24:19 AM

Quote:
And I made a mistake about the CPU temperature, it used to be around 38c to 44c at load, and now it is 42c to 50c at load.
And the fan used to make around 2500 rpm at the max temperature, and now it makes around 3100 rpm, this really scares me, because I hope this will not get standard.
I can't stand a noisy computer :s.

Your temperature is not bad at all. To control the FAN speed, go to your BIOS. There is setting there what temperature to maintain. If it is set too low, naturally, the motherboard will ramp up the FAN speed to keep to cpu temperature within the low value set. I keep mine at 55celcius.
May 28, 2012 4:31:32 PM

Hello,

I have been playing Blacklight Retribution on a computer with these specs:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06GHz
GPU: GTX550 Ti
RAM: 4 GB
I run the game on low settings (Textures on high and depth of field on standard with a resolution of 1440x900, the other options are set to disabled).
And I saw via MSI Afterburner that the GTX550 Ti reached 89c!
This kind of scares me, I am not sure if this is normal for the GTX550 Ti, is it okay if I keep playing the game with this kind of temperature?
I know that is summer and that the computer will get more hot than common, but is this safe?
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 4:33:54 PM

It's kind of high, but not fatal. Check the heatsink for dust and could you post the model of your PSU please?
May 28, 2012 5:05:22 PM

Quote:
Your temperature is not bad at all. To control the FAN speed, go to your BIOS. There is setting there what temperature to maintain. If it is set too low, naturally, the motherboard will ramp up the FAN speed to keep to cpu temperature within the low value set. I keep mine at 55celcius.

So if the GTX550 Ti is 89c hot, I can keep playing without damiging any parts of the computer?
May 28, 2012 7:35:02 PM

Quote:
It's kind of high, but not fatal. Check the heatsink for dust and could you post the model of your PSU please?

The fan of the GPU is not covered in dust because it is like 4 months old.
And I could see any brand on the PSU, though it says that it gives 460 Watt.
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 7:36:51 PM

Are you sure? Check again, you underestimate how fast dust can accommodate. My pc gets full of dust in two weeks!
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 10:56:20 PM

Not at all. Here is the 550 Ti specifications from nVidia itself which states the maximum operating temperature at 100degrees:
http://www.nvidia.in/object/product-geforce-gtx-550ti-i...
If you do not have any problem with the PC shutting down or BSOD or game crashing to desktop, then it means your GPU temp is okay. If it overheats beyond normal, it have the protection mechanism to shut down itself or bring down the clock so do not worry.
!