ZALMAN 750w PSU enough? [updated listed wrong PSU]

DruB83

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello,

About to build a brand new system (already bought most of the parts) and was wondering if the PSU i have is capable enough running the system, the PSU is a ZALMAN 750w PSU as you've probably gathered from the title.

The rest of the build includes:

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case
i7-3770k CPU
Gigabyte G1 Sniper m3 Mainboard
16GB Gskill Ripjaw Ram (possibly changing to Corsair Vengance)
H80 Watercooler
60GB Corsair SSD (Primary Boot Drive)
500GB Seagate Primary Download Sata HDD
2 x 2 TB Seagate Storage Drives.
Gigabye Nvidia GTX 670 GPU
Asus Xonar Essence STX SC
Standard Pioneer SUPERMULTI DVD Burner

Just wanting to find out if my current PSU will power this or if i should upgrade the unit. Even if the PSU is able to run the system for now and i can change in a few weeks/months that is fine.

Most of my routine is gaming or video encoding. Gaming being mostly BF3, TSW, Warcraft etc BF3 is probably the most graphically dependent game i have.

DruB83

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Well after having a look at your link, even tho the Mobo is a rather generalized option. there is no listing for a powered Sound Card,

but after choosing the i7, high end Motherboard, 1x GTX680 (higher then my card as mine isnt listed), 4x4GB ram, 3 x 7200rpm HDDs (obviously the SSD will add a little but i cant list it) and a DVD-RW drive it equates to 557W, adding the Soundcard and SSD im assuming that wouldnt go much over 600W if at all? So the 750W should be alright?

DruB83

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
good luck with what? im not much closer to solving my question then i was when i asked. If i am to upgrade, not an issue, what would people recommend.... 850W?
900W? 1000W?

Ive been considering CoolerMaster 850W Silent Pro MII Modular, but unsure if i even need the extra 100W. Alsoi maybe removing the 500GB HDD and disconnecting the DVD drive altogether.

Do you only have one GTX 670? If so, frankly, 750W is overkill. You could run two GTX 670s on a good 750W PSU like the Antec Truepower New TP-750.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/25/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_670_oc_video_card_review/10
Shows a system with a i7-3960X, which is much more power hungry than an i7-3770K, and the Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD drawing 319W at the wall, power consumption of the system itself is less due to the inefficiency of the PSU, under Battlefield 3.

DruB83

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Yeah I'm only running one GTX670, I've never really bothered with SLI. And my apologies I have a zalman 750w power supply, not an antec. I'd have to look at the unit when I get home to figure out exactly what PSU MODEL it is tho.

D

Deleted member 217926

You did not specify a model but there is only one Zalman 750w power supply. It is made by FSP and is actually a very good unit.

Hardwaresecrets review. It received their Silver award. The only reason it did not get their highest rated Golden award is that it only has 2 PCI-E power connectors. Otherwise it scored very highly.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-ZM750-HP-Power-Supply-Review/661/10

Since you only need 500-550 watts for a system with any single graphics card you are fine. You could add a second GTX 670 and still be fine.

Power requirements for every card.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

DruB83

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for the Info, much appreciated. I just thought I'd check cause I have built the system using the PSU i have and everything is running smoothly however for some silly reason last night between 1 and 3 am the machine reboot itself. ( yes I have disabled automatic updates ). Figured I'd ask about the power supplies capabilities first and trouble shoot from there, retesting the ram now for bad memory, and will move onto the HDDs after that.

All of the drivers are up to date, including the USB controllers, intel chipset drivers, sniper bios, xonar sound card, gtx 670, intel inf driver, raid drivers. Every thing I can think of is up to date so baring the PSU hasnt had an interruption in its supply ( fault or whatever ) the only thing I can narrow it down to is RAM or HDDs. The error visable in the error log is a Windows Kernal Event 41 ( as vague as that error is ), basically the pc reboots without cleanly shutting down first. Although I have seen the machine reboot on one occassion and it wasn't in the 1-3am time bracket, however I didn't get a BSOD, simply hung, 5 minutes later rebooted. I didn't think much of it after having it operational for a while ( few hours without incident ), however it was left to idle overnight, once a second unscheduled reboot occurred overnight, I'm a bit concerned.

D

Deleted member 217926

Have you run memtest for at least 12 hours?

Any overclocking?

The computer has only crashed twice? In how long?

You have the latest BIOS and the latest firmware for your SSD?

Your extra hard drives and DVD drives are about the last thing that would cause crashes.

You said in your first post you were about to build and have most of the parts.......so how are you running it with only most of the parts? Are the listed specs your exact system?