Running 12 videos at once

timmygrover

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
So I've got a client wanting to run twelve monitors, streaming twelve different videos, each on a different screen. The system I build runs an FX-8120, 12GB and six GeForce 210s. To run the video I'm using Media Player Classic (as it's the least demanding player that I know of). However, if I run the video on all twelve screens (meaning 12 instances of MPC, each running a separate video) the system will crash after about 5 minutes.

I'm not sure where the issue is exactly, I've upgraded the processor (originally built it with a Phenom II X6 1045t) no improvement, The processes don't seem to be maxing out the system RAM

I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
See if running two different media players might solve your problem. If you have reasonable CPU usage at 6 MPCs and it spikes on the 7th, it could be that you start running into a resource conflict once you have that many. Try running a few instances of something like VLC along with 6 instances of MLC and see if you still get the same CPU usage increase.

Also, are you splitting them up across all 12 screens while you are testing the 7-9 MPCs or are you doing it all on one screen?

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Unfortunately, it's not a configuration most of us will ever use, however, try the well tested generic method of dropping the number of connected monitors down......starting from 1...testing for at least 5 min...then adding another...etc.

It may one of the cards is miss-behaving.

G

as much as i am inexperienced with this problem, as meab66 stated, its not a common problem you have; i would look not so much at the hardware for now but running all those instances of MPC. something tells me all those instances accessing the same .dll files and codec(s) just seems . . . troublesome.

instead of pulling cards, gradually increase the instances of MPC.

timmygrover

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I've tried your suggestion, i added on instances of MPC and monitored CPU usage. When I add in the 7-9 instance, the CPU usage leaps up to 90%+. Is there some way to approach that problem?

See if running two different media players might solve your problem. If you have reasonable CPU usage at 6 MPCs and it spikes on the 7th, it could be that you start running into a resource conflict once you have that many. Try running a few instances of something like VLC along with 6 instances of MLC and see if you still get the same CPU usage increase.

Also, are you splitting them up across all 12 screens while you are testing the 7-9 MPCs or are you doing it all on one screen?

Solution

timmygrover

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Actually, it still crashes. All the videos freeze after about 25 minutes. I'm running 6 in VLC and 6 in MLC. The CPU usage doesn't jump like it used to, but it still crashes. I've done it twice and both times all the videos crash. The mouse moves, but I can't click on anything. Any ideas?

timmygrover

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Nvidia OpenGL Driver
The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

G

ok, after a little googling . .it just says you crashed and couldn't log any errors. :p

though my interpretation may be way off.

timmygrover

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, I'm not sure what is causing it. I turned down my graphics card settings. I'm running again to see how long it will take to crash with multiple videos looping. CPU usage fluctuates around 32 percent.

G

even though i just have 2 monitors . .you got me curious . .lets see what happens when i run multiply instances of VLC . :lol: