Digital Camera for Senior

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 1, 2005 3:50:45 PM

Hello

I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
judge which would be a good model for an older person.

Some requirements would be:

* Larger Buttons
* Larger Screen
* Good Quality
* Doesn't have to be top of the line
* Ease of integration with photo software.

I've considered a few of the Kodak or HP models, but some of the larger
canons like the A520 look tempting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best Regards
John

More about : digital camera senior

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:10:58 PM

Greetings Rip,

There are a great many cameras on the market and many are tempting.
What I do when I look for a camera is consider:

How much do I have to spend? (Key Issue) -
What kind of picture taking am I going to do (landscapes, kids,
nature..eBay items, or general type stuff?
Do I want to do more portraits and close ups, thos kinds of things -
Do I want control of the features, i.e. shutter, aperture, ISO, etc. or
to let the camera do everthing? -
Do I want to experiment with my computer and a lot of new features? -
How long do I plan to keep this camera and technology? -
Do I plan to enhance my photography or just want something to take
snaps? -

With this information in mind, I can visit local stores etc. and review
the cameras in my price range then consider their features.

For me I like ease of use so the EasyShare line of cameras is a plus.
Set the camera on the dock and let the EasyShare software do the work.
I can then view and use the pictures as I please. At the same time I do
like to control the image and so I opt for the higher line of cameras
Kodak offers, i.e. the P850 and 880. I currently have a DX7590 and a
DX6440 that I use. Great cameras that give me what I want.

But, there is always a but, I love new technology. So when things
change, keep your eye on WiFi, I will probably opt for this kind of
feature.

Maybe you have already done all the reviews, but if not give them a
little thought, and look down the road a ways, technology moves at
light speed these days.

By the way, I am 63 and still intrigued by all this kind of thing. It
is quite exciting, and I suspect it will continue to be, even when I
get old.

Talk to you soon, glad to help with any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

rip_saw777@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
>
> Some requirements would be:
>
> * Larger Buttons
> * Larger Screen
> * Good Quality
> * Doesn't have to be top of the line
> * Ease of integration with photo software.
>
> I've considered a few of the Kodak or HP models, but some of the larger
> canons like the A520 look tempting.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Best Regards
> John
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:37:55 PM

<rip_saw777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
>
> Some requirements would be:
>
> * Larger Buttons
> * Larger Screen
> * Good Quality
> * Doesn't have to be top of the line
> * Ease of integration with photo software.
>
> I've considered a few of the Kodak or HP models, but some of the
larger
> canons like the A520 look tempting.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi John, I thought of the A510 or A520 when they first came out but the
LCD is 1.8" LCD. The buttons on the back seem to be fairly big compared
to some other cameras which have very small buttons. I want a 2" LCD at
least and a viewfinder that I can see clearly through is an absolute
must. There are a few point and shoot cameras around with 2" or 2.5"
LCD's but no viewfinder, particularly Panasonics and and some others, so
watch out for that if a viewfinder is something you need. Its good to
have a viewfinder and an LCD, because many LCD's are not easy to see in
low light.
I looked at Kodak C340 and C360. The C360 has a 2" or 2.5" LCD. But for
me at least,
the C360 viewfinder was the most blurry viewfinder I've seen on my
travels so far and I've looked at lots of cameras off and on for months.
The C340 viewfinder was not as blurry,but only has a 1.6 or 1.8" LCD as
I recall. Sony has some quite good cameras with 2 or 2.5" LCD's, but the
buttons on the back are not very big. Sony seems to like small buttons
on the back of most of its newer cameras. The Sony DSC W5 looks like an
OK camera and has a 2.5" LCD and a viewfinder -uses 2 AA batteries and
comes with charger and rechargeable batteries. But again, small buttons
on the back and for me, its still too expensive. so I am still looking.
I wish camera makers would realize that a large part of the population
who want to buy digital cameras are over 60 and should make cameras with
bigger buttons on the back which are easily seen. They seem to think
everyone is young with 20/20 vision, which isn't me in any of those
counts :) . Maybe you should go to several camera stores and pick up
various point and shoot cameras which look interesting to you and ask
questions. Get them to put batteries in it if possible, so you can see
what the LCD looks like, if it has various brightness settings etc. Look
through the viewfinder for sure.I wear glasses and that probably makes a
difference when looking through viewfinders. Happy hunting!

Cathy
September 1, 2005 8:08:10 PM

On 1 Sep 2005 11:50:45 -0700, rip_saw777@yahoo.com wrote:

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fuji's F10 has a large LCD display, takes very good pictures, and
due to its (so far) unique, highly sensitive sensor should provide
an advantage similar to other camera's use of image stabilization.
A difference though would be that by using a faster shutter speed
than cameras using IS, it would be better at getting crisp images of
moving objects. It's pretty much a simpler "auto everything"
camera, but your requirements didn't mention a need for manual
controls. It's probably about the same size as the Canon A520 that
you mentioned, but lacks the A520's more numerous controls and
options. There's a thorough review of it at www.dpreview.com
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:27:07 PM

"Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message

> By the way, I am 63 and still intrigued by all this kind of thing. It
> is quite exciting, and I suspect it will continue to be, even when I
> get old.

I didn't know you were so old Ron. Makes me feel better. :)
I already feel old and not much younger than you. Don't you mean "older"
though?.
Just kidding.

Cathy
September 1, 2005 11:17:48 PM

<rip_saw777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
> judge which would be a good model for an older person.

That would be hard for me to answer as I am only 75.
Jim
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:11:27 AM

<rip_saw777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
>
> Some requirements would be:
>
> * Larger Buttons
> * Larger Screen
> * Good Quality
> * Doesn't have to be top of the line
> * Ease of integration with photo software.

I hope you're not confusing "senior" & "older" with being disabled, because
some seniors, me included, aren't yet disabled enough to need this type of
assistance.
I'm looking forward to getting my EOS 5D which fits some of your
requirements, but probably not that of having larger buttons.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

> Greetings Rip,
>
> There are a great many cameras on the market and many are tempting.
> What I do when I look for a camera is consider:
>
> How much do I have to spend? (Key Issue) -
> What kind of picture taking am I going to do (landscapes, kids,
> nature..eBay items, or general type stuff?
> Do I want to do more portraits and close ups, thos kinds of things -
> Do I want control of the features, i.e. shutter, aperture, ISO, etc. or
> to let the camera do everthing? -
> Do I want to experiment with my computer and a lot of new features? -
> How long do I plan to keep this camera and technology? -
> Do I plan to enhance my photography or just want something to take
> snaps? -
>
> With this information in mind, I can visit local stores etc. and review
> the cameras in my price range then consider their features.
>
> For me I like ease of use so the EasyShare line of cameras is a plus.
> Set the camera on the dock and let the EasyShare software do the work.
> I can then view and use the pictures as I please. At the same time I do
> like to control the image and so I opt for the higher line of cameras
> Kodak offers, i.e. the P850 and 880. I currently have a DX7590 and a
> DX6440 that I use. Great cameras that give me what I want.
>
> But, there is always a but, I love new technology. So when things
> change, keep your eye on WiFi, I will probably opt for this kind of
> feature.
>
> Maybe you have already done all the reviews, but if not give them a
> little thought, and look down the road a ways, technology moves at
> light speed these days.
>
> By the way, I am 63 and still intrigued by all this kind of thing. It
> is quite exciting, and I suspect it will continue to be, even when I
> get old.

Sure glad you ain't old Ron, makes me feel younger. :-)
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:58:50 AM

rip_saw777@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
>
> Some requirements would be:
>
> * Larger Buttons
> * Larger Screen
> * Good Quality
> * Doesn't have to be top of the line
> * Ease of integration with photo software.
>
> I've considered a few of the Kodak or HP models, but some of the larger
> canons like the A520 look tempting.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Best Regards
> John

You don't mention the level of photographic expertise the 'senior' has.
Many of us seniors are quite experienced in film photography and the
knowledge translates pretty well to digital.
The Kodak line of cameras are geared to the shapshot type of
photographer, which would include a senior with little or no
photographic knowledge. HP also does well for that level of knowledge,
but someone with more experience might want something a bit more
advanced with regard to capabilities.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
> <rip_saw777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
>> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
>>
>> Some requirements would be:
>>
>> * Larger Buttons
>> * Larger Screen
>> * Good Quality
>> * Doesn't have to be top of the line
>> * Ease of integration with photo software.
>

> I hope you're not confusing "senior" & "older" with being disabled, because
> some seniors, me included, aren't yet disabled enough to need this type of
> assistance.
> I'm looking forward to getting my EOS 5D which fits some of your
> requirements, but probably not that of having larger buttons.

Something that amazes me about the more expensive, and capable cameras
is that the displays run on the small (1.8inch) size. Even snapshot
cameras have larger displays.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:04:07 AM

Cathy wrote:
> "Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
>
>> By the way, I am 63 and still intrigued by all this kind of thing. It
>> is quite exciting, and I suspect it will continue to be, even when I
>> get old.
>
> I didn't know you were so old Ron. Makes me feel better. :)
> I already feel old and not much younger than you. Don't you mean "older"
> though?.
> Just kidding.
>
> Cathy

Grin. You knew THIS Ron was that old.....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 5:30:44 PM

> Cathy wrote:
> > "Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> By the way, I am 63 and still intrigued by all this kind of thing.
It
> >> is quite exciting, and I suspect it will continue to be, even when
> >> get old.
> >
> > I didn't know you were so old Ron. Makes me feel better. :)
> > I already feel old and not much younger than you. Don't you mean
"older"
> > though?.
> > Just kidding.
> >
> > Cathy
> >

> Grin. You knew THIS Ron was that old.....

Yeah, I knew about you Ron H :)

Cathy
September 2, 2005 11:15:50 PM

Darnit! What a day this has been. First I
learn I'm going to be dead soon, now this! <G>

On 1 Sep 2005 11:50:45 -0700
Posted from http://groups.google.com
rip_saw777@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
> <SNIP>

Jeff
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:15:51 PM

Confused wrote:
> Darnit! What a day this has been. First I
> learn I'm going to be dead soon, now this! <G>
>
> On 1 Sep 2005 11:50:45 -0700
> Posted from http://groups.google.com
> rip_saw777@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I've been reviewing a lot of the cameras, but it is really hard to
>> judge which would be a good model for an older person.
>> <SNIP>
>
> Jeff

I know.

In all seriousness, I think the best alternative is same as for
voluminous scanning projects: an intern with the right machinery and
skills.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:24:43 PM

Hey Ron,

Actually, I am not old yet. Age is not just about the body. The more
important part is in the mind. I believe I am a 25 year old man in a 63
year old body. The only time I relaize anything different is when I
shave or try to run too far.

Talk to you soon, Ron,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company