Sign in with
Your question

Need a solid build at $500-$600

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2012 6:32:31 PM

hey guys, main desktop's hdd just broke and it's time for an upgrade

i am looking for a solid desktop at $500-$600. it's not a gaming build but a fast processor is a priority.

i already have a monitor and am looking for PARTS ONLY, including a case/fans, so i can build everything myself. preferably i would like to buy at amazon.com. i already have a copy of windows 7, so i do not need that.

a fast cpu is a priority (only intel; i7 possibly), 12-16gigs of RAM, good motherboard, reliable psu, 1tb hard drive, decent cooling, and maybe even a decent video card for hd playback etc
also i will be taking out my Xonar DX sound card to transfer it to the new PC.

if anyone could come up with a good build for me i would really appreciate it. i haven't been keeping up to date with hardware changes and what's best for the price, and i am sure you guys know all about that
thanks!

More about : solid build 500 600

August 12, 2012 8:32:26 PM

please? :D 
August 12, 2012 8:57:26 PM

i7 in a 600$ build?!?!? i will do what i can...

Here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($102.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z11 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($26.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $629.48

i really dont think you need the i7 unless you do HEAVY video editing or transcoding, the i5 3570k would be more than enough.

The IGP in the 3770k will be more than enough to play HD video content, dont worry about that.

I would change the motherboard to a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 so you can add a pair of GTX670/660ti or a pair of 7850s/7870s if you ever decide to play games on it (of course, you will need a higher wattage psu)

Related resources
August 12, 2012 9:36:24 PM

thanks for the reply!

well mainly the pc is used to calculate hours and hours of math + programming, which is why i wanted the fastest processor

$600 is the limit, preferably under $550

if you had to build one for that price....what would be in it..?
thanks again

edit: also looking for a better psu, dont want it crapping out on me...
August 12, 2012 10:02:28 PM

eiflegend said:
thanks for the reply!

well mainly the pc is used to calculate hours and hours of math + programming, which is why i wanted the fastest processor

$600 is the limit, preferably under $550

if you had to build one for that price....what would be in it..?
thanks again

edit: also looking for a better psu, dont want it crapping out on me...

*Well... if you want to make your PC cheaper then you would have to either drop the i7 to get a i5 or drop the 16GB of ram and get only 8GB but i dont think you want that so you are gonna have to get the extra 30$

*in gaming the i5 performs the same or better than the i7 (if the HT in the i7 is on then the i5 will perform faster most of the time) but a lot people understimate the i5 for professional usage (but in your case you will benefit from having a i7)

*I really wouldnt even try to build a 600$ pc, i limit my self to the high-end stuff (altough i dont know why since i barely play 3 hours a week :lol: )

* not because that PSU is cheap means its bad, its a Corsair PSU so you cant deny its quality, but if you want something a bit better then you can get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pc-power--cooling-power-su...

!