Thermal Event - Overheating

Raphaelio

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I recently cleaned out a friends computer, removed all of the dust with a compressed gas duster, cleaned the fan and heat sink for the CPU and then cleaned the old thermal paste off with 91% isopropyl alcohol and reapplied a new layer of thermal paste (a silicon based compound) and when I turned on the computer it turned off almost instantly. I then received the thermal event error - overheating so I checked the temperatures and the fan speeds in the BIOS; the Processor temperature is almost always between 95 C and 110 C while the system zone temperatures are always around 36 C. Both fans are averaging around 2200 RPMs. I thoroughly cleaned both fans and the heat sink and even re-pasted the CPU with a thin layer just in case I messed that up but nothing seems to be working.

The specs of the computer are as follows:
Intel Pentium 4 Dual-Core 3 GHz
System Bus speed - 800 MHz
System Memory speed - 533 MHz
RAM - 1024 MB
L2 Cache RAM - 2 MB

Exact product: D915GUX

I opened up the case while the computer was running in order to check to see if something else was overheating and found a black chip that I am unable to identify that was scalding hot. I tried cooling it down with my compressed gas and by doing so I managed to keep the computer from overheating long enough to download speedfan in order to check to see what the temperature of the CPU was while in Windows. The temperature started off in the high 90s but slowly trickled down to the upper 70s while I was trying to cool off the part that I believed was causing the problem. I have provided a picture with the culprit circled in blue. The computer is also roughly 7 years old.

4W4by

I also let it run while it was open without using my compressed gas and the processor dropped down to 77 C but still has periods where it jumps to around the 90s. The part circled in blue is still balls hot.

Raphaelio

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I also did some more testing with SpeedFan, when the CPU is at 0% usage the temperature is at 77 C minimum, but when it goes up to 100% usage the temperature skyrockets up to 110 C.

TRENDING THREADS