Sign in with
Your question

Fan speed at 100% rpm not changing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2012 11:59:15 PM

My new xfx 6950 was overheating so i decided to check the fan speed. But if the fan speed auto-scaled due to heat or was manually forced to 100% the rpm on the fan would stay at 1000 rpm give or take about 10. Whats going on and how can I fix this?
a c 201 U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 12:03:55 AM

HEAVYtiger said:
My new xfx 6950 was overheating so i decided to check the fan speed. But if the fan speed auto-scaled due to heat or was manually forced to 100% the rpm on the fan would stay at 1000 rpm give or take about 10. Whats going on and how can I fix this?

i know in msi afterburner for nvidia you can take the fan off auto it might be there in the ccc panel. if nt try fanspeed or look online. you should hear the fan...sound like a dust buster when the fan speed 50 percent or more. if not the fan may be bad on the card.
m
l
June 23, 2012 12:06:22 AM

I have attempted to adjust the speed in all of those ways but the rpm wont go over 1020ish at load it actually drops a bit! Edit: yes auto was off
m
l
Related resources
a c 108 U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 12:15:53 AM

If you are in CCC, you also need to enable the check box for overclocking(Enable Graphics Overdrive. You do NOT need to change the speeds) or the fan speed does not work.

Both boxes need a check mark if the Enable Graphics Overdrive is off, the fan speed does not change.
m
l
June 23, 2012 12:27:47 AM

nukemaster said:
If you are in CCC, you also need to enable the check box for overclocking(Enable Graphics Overdrive. You do NOT need to change the speeds) or the fan speed does not work.

Both boxes need a check mark if the Enable Graphics Overdrive is off, the fan speed does not change.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7319/cccbi.jpg

I did that the fan speed displays at 75% (just a random number) but the fan won't actually spin faster. :??: 
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 12:39:02 AM

Strange(That is all I have ever had to do, but I just increase fan speed for quick cooling or testing). No way you would not hear the difference(these fans get LOUD).

You could try something like Afterburner to see if it works.

How hot is the card getting? Have you cleaned out the heatsink. dust kills cooling performance
m
l
June 23, 2012 2:07:40 AM

nukemaster said:
Strange(That is all I have ever had to do, but I just increase fan speed for quick cooling or testing). No way you would not hear the difference(these fans get LOUD).

You could try something like Afterburner to see if it works.

How hot is the card getting? Have you cleaned out the heatsink. dust kills cooling performance

It's completely clean as i just installed it, also iv'e tried afterburner. Under load it can get up to 106 degrees Celsius. Idle it sits around 57.
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 5:17:02 AM

Yeah, that is quite hot.

I would not expect it to pass 90(that would be with some real hard work) to be honest.

That said, i wonder if it has another problem.

Is the card new as well?
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 6:41:18 PM

Does the fan speed increase when the card heats up or does it hit 100+ with the speed still at 1000rpm?

No reviews show this card running that hot in fact, last time i had a card over 100c(about 117c) it was running fanless, sure glad the card never died.

This may be a defect, I would contact XFX and see what they have to say.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx
m
l
June 23, 2012 11:00:13 PM

nukemaster said:
Does the fan speed increase when the card heats up or does it hit 100+ with the speed still at 1000rpm?

No reviews show this card running that hot in fact, last time i had a card over 100c(about 117c) it was running fanless, sure glad the card never died.

This may be a defect, I would contact XFX and see what they have to say.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

Nope the fan accually drops by about 15 rpm when it gets really hot.
m
l
June 23, 2012 11:59:51 PM

You could try if you can adjust something with the Radeon Bios Editor. You will also need GPU-Z to extract you're current Bios and read the howto in the Tutorial
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 12:03:20 AM

That is NOT right(15rpm is within the range of error, but games should make it speed up. the cards work to keep a certain max temp by slowly increasing and decreasing the fan speed with load).

A card should behave this way on its own without user interaction.

I would contact the store you got the card as and see if maybe you can swap it for another(defect as a reason).

It almost sounds like the card is not getting its pwm speed signals at all.

@ roald, I would be a bit worried about having to flash a new card to make it work right. Old card wanting a new profile or overclock, yeah.
m
l
!