Any big/high-res monitors coming out this year?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

Sorry, can't find a monitor category - so I post here.

I need to get a monitor soon. But since they havn't changed much over 10 years, I'm expecting much better monitors coming sometime soon. Actually I think monitors got worse since glossy screens are more common now. Even my cell phone has a retina type display.

I heard of the 4k monitors, but I think they will cost like $5000+ for the next few years.

So anyway, if I want a large high-res monitor, the Dell U2711/3011 is about as good as I can for the next year or two ? Lower watts and thin/light is always good.

thanks!

Solution
Yeah the IPS panels do take some serious getting used to. They're not for everyone but after having my u3011 for a year I would never go back to a TN panel (which make up most LCD and LED displays).

The colour reproduction is outstanding and the display is very easy on the eyes, which I definitely cannot say the same for any CRT. It can easily handle scenes with both dark and vibrant elements to a degree that rivals plasma displays.

The matte finish can be bothersome but it does a very good job of fending off glare from bright environments and preventing internal reflection. I don't have any problems reading small text though. This can actually work against the viewer in some games though as it mutes the dark parts a bit too much...

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I agree: I think we will see some new amazing monitors in the next 12-24 months and prices are likely to come down. In the meantime, the Dell monitors seem to be the best buy. The only other thing to consider is the Yamakasi Catleap. This is a 27" 2560x1440 monitor that can be cheaply imported. They are surprisingly good, and though I wouldn't count on one lasting 5 years, they may be a cheap way to bridge the gap until the new gen of high res monitors come out.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I ordered the U2711. But after I connected everything and saw the desktop come up, I felt nausea and the text was hard to read.
Later I tried full screen graphics and games - this was near unearthly experience - seeing colors and details I never saw before ! As in MUCH better than my now broken 27" 1080p monitor (which was MUCH better than the 24" 1600x1200 monitor before that).

After reading online, posters complained the strong AG/Matte finish was too harsh and it didn't align well with the small dot-pitch - causing small text to look strange.
Normally I liked strong AG coating to get deeper black and less reflections, but this time it was different.

So! I had two choices, keep the U2711 and get used to it or order a different monitor.
Instead I got the Samsung S27A850D. This was much slimmer/lighter, used half the watts, had a USB 3.0 hub, text was much easier to read, and the rest was fairly good. The AG coating wasn't as strong, but it still kept reflections off. Color and graphics are good, but didn't quite give the unearthly experience as the U2711, but the rest seemed much better.
So, basically it seems to me the U2711 is a serious monitor for graphics professionls and for everyone else, the S27A850D seemed to do everything else better.

One more thing, readers complained about the 850D backlight bleeding around the edges, but I didn't find this - maybe I was lucky.

When the 4k monitors come out, I think people need to redefine font sizes or they will be just to small to read.

Yeah the IPS panels do take some serious getting used to. They're not for everyone but after having my u3011 for a year I would never go back to a TN panel (which make up most LCD and LED displays).

The colour reproduction is outstanding and the display is very easy on the eyes, which I definitely cannot say the same for any CRT. It can easily handle scenes with both dark and vibrant elements to a degree that rivals plasma displays.

The matte finish can be bothersome but it does a very good job of fending off glare from bright environments and preventing internal reflection. I don't have any problems reading small text though. This can actually work against the viewer in some games though as it mutes the dark parts a bit too much sometimes.

I would have liked to have a USB3.0 hub though, I'm surprised that a $1500 model monitor from 2011 only had 2.0

Solution

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Yes, I also read the u3011 didn't have the mis-align problem of the small dot-pitch with the AG coating the u2711 has. So it seems Pinhedd didn't get the nausea/headache feeling I had with the small text on the u2711. Energy96 may be lucky with better eyes or a better monitor than the one I had.

I've never seen a u2711 so I can't relate. I'll take your word for it though