Is water-cooling worth the money? (opinions)

halfblazed

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I was wondering if open-loop water cooling is worth the money (and risk), as in will the drop in temperature really justify the high cost?

I was recently on the Koolance website and went through and made a mock shopping cart for a water cooling system. I am trying to cool a 2600k CPU and 2 GTX 680s.

By the time I got the pumps, fittings etc the total was around 700 bucks!!

I chose Koolance because, from what I've heard, they make really high quality stuff. My gaming computer is worth around 2200 bucks and I really don't want to cheap out and fry a bunch of parts.

I realize that cost is subjective and water-cooling not only produces low temps but looks AWESOME to boot.

I am getting pretty decent temperatures right now. My 680s never get hotter than 71C on full load and my corsair H80 keeps my over-clocked 2600k around 50C. Will I see a significant decrease in my temps?

Obviously there isn't a definitive answer to this question. I am more or less looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance guys.. :bounce:

In a word, no.

It's for enthusiasts who want insane overclocks and obsess over low temperatures really, it's never good in terms of price/performance.

I'm not saying those guys are wrong in any way though, I'm guilty in a similar way for quietness. I spent like £400 just trying to make my PC quiet haha. It isn't even quiet at the moment (because of my GPU), I'm waiting for a decent passively cooled version of the HD 7850/GTX 650Ti or something.

halfblazed

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

Thanks.

Hey I don't know whether you like Nvidia or not but I just read that this Company called Colorful came out with a fanless GTX 680.

Heres a link if you wanna check it out.

http://www.techpowerup.com/167975/Colorful-Unveils-Fanless-GeForce-GTX-680-Graphics-Card.html