CPU fan very high and loud!

G

Basically, I have no other fan in the case apart for the CPU fan. I would get the chassis fan later on but I wanted to install the OS first. When I was installing I noticed the fan was making a lot of noise. I checked the bios and it said the rpm speed was around 6700. The cpu temperture was around 55 and the motherboard temp around 50

I have the Asrock N68-VS3 Fx and the Amd Phenom II 965 BE. The motherboard has a quiet cpu mode which was enabled and the target cpu temp was set at 50 and the fan speed was set to "high" Interestingly, I switched the fan speed to "low" and the overall noise was considerably lower. But I quickly changed it back to high because it showed me the CPU temp was going up to 59

So is it simply a matter of buying a chassis fan or two which would take the load off the cpu fan or is it something else?

G

I had this build put together at a local shop. Although I know the CPU had pre-applied thermal paste. Would a chassis fan make a noticeable difference in the temperature of the CPU?

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

hmm, not really :/ it might reduce the temperature a few degrees but it wont do much.

do you have the stock hs?

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Have you succesfully installed the OS? if you havent then do it, your CPU should be fine under 75°C or lower and after you do that check the temps using a win program.

Dantheman1129

Honorable
May 20, 2012
If you have 0 case fans, this is a big issue. Those temperatures aren't particularly high, but they are bloated due to the lack of airflow in your case. It's tough to cool the CPU if the only air your CPU fans can grab is hot air. Also, what CPU cooler are you using? If you really wanted better performance (if the problem persists after buying case fans) there are better fans to buy, such as the Cooler master EVO 212+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

or the Noctua NH-D14, granted your case has the space for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=noctua%20DH
EVO should perform fine, but if you wanted a quieter solution the noctua is the way to go. There are also closed loop water coolers

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

The EVO 212 is rated at 36 dbA and the noctua DH-n14 19.8 dbA

That's because the rating for the 212 EVO is for the max speed at 2000RPM. It's 9dBA at it's minimum speed @ 600RPM. PWM means it ranges between those speeds as required automatically.

The Noctua has 2 fans running at 1200RPM and 1300RPM all the time, it doesn't change automatically. You have to use the adapters, meaning you have to trade cooling for quietness. Even with the ultra low noise adapter, the fans are roughly 15dBA each. That equals roughly 18dBA for both. That rating of ~19dBA is for each fan on the Noctua so you are looking at roughly 22dBA for both without the adapter.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

anyways...depending on where he places the case the noise will be ok