Minolta Maxxum 7D vs. 5D

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 2, 2005 12:33:22 AM

As a long time user of Minolta 35mm SLR film cameras, I have been
interested in eventually obtaining a digital camera that will accept my
accumulated lenses. I have been considering the Konica Minolta Maxxum
D7, but undertsand a D5 version has recently been released. Can anyone
provide or point me to a summary of the differences between the 2?

Mark Cutler

More about : minolta maxxum

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:33:23 AM
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:33:23 AM

Mark Cutler wrote:
> As a long time user of Minolta 35mm SLR film cameras, I have been
> interested in eventually obtaining a digital camera that will accept
> my accumulated lenses. I have been considering the Konica Minolta
> Maxxum D7, but undertsand a D5 version has recently been released.
> Can anyone provide or point me to a summary of the differences
> between the 2?
> Mark Cutler

Try the DPReview news release on the 5D, the green asterisks in the
specifications denote changes from the 7D.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071503kmmaxxum5d.as...

Basically the same camera sensor-wise and still has the anti-shake
system built in; many 7D physical controls moved to menus; lower
resolution, but still huge 2.5" LCD; lighter body construction; roof
mirror vs. pentaprism viewfinder (could mean slightly darker viewfinder
image); smaller memory buffer means fewer shots in burst modes.

You can also poke around at the official Minolta site -
http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_came...

I have a 7D and am very pleased with it!

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 5:11:37 AM

"Mark Cutler" <mecutler@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> As a long time user of Minolta 35mm SLR film cameras, I have been
> interested in eventually obtaining a digital camera that will accept my
> accumulated lenses. I have been considering the Konica Minolta Maxxum D7,
> but undertsand a D5 version has recently been released. Can anyone provide
> or point me to a summary of the differences between the 2?
>
> Mark Cutler

Do your lenses fit Maxxum film bodys or the manual focus Minoltas? If they
are maxxum, you can use them on the Digital Maxxum. They won't fit the
Nikon. You'd have to start over if you went with the Nikon or if you lenses
are MF.
John
!