Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 4:39:51 AM

Hello,
I have a Gateway GT5238E desktop machine and I want to upgrade the CPU. Motherboard is INTEL DG965L VG1 Love Valley G Motherboard. Current CPU is Intel Core Duo E6300. I want to replace current CPU with the E7600. Specs look like they match, runs at same FSB as E6300 but faster clocking and 3MB cache. Questions: Do you see any problems with this upgrade? Any BIOS settings I need to or should change? and last is this the optimum CPU upgrade or is there a better choice?. Thanks for your help dkelley45@hotmail.com

More about : cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 5:01:43 AM

you should be able to use any core 2 that runs at 65watts, one site said the extreme model cpu's will run on that board (as long as its 65watts)
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:40:22 PM

papablista said:
you should be able to use any core 2 that runs at 65watts, one site said the extreme model cpu's will run on that board (as long as its 65watts)

Installed CPU and booted. Starts up fine but runs slower than before.....

MOBO has latest BIOS installed. No configuration for CPU clock or any clock other than memory in CMOS.

CMOS sees Processor as Intel E7600 3 Ghz, but Processor Speed shows .40 Ghz, System Bus Speed 400Mhz, System memory speed 533 Mhz

Put CMOS jumper in config Mode, took out jumper, tried all options.

About out of ideas.....looking now like the new E7600 will be a paper weight.......

m
l
!