Need help choosing graphics card...x16 v1 slot

Mike MPD

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I've spent hours researching and I'm just not seeming to get anywhere. There are so many choices and my knowledge is somewhat limited. I need some insight.

I just got Diablo 3 and I need a new video card. My motherboard(IPIEL-LA3 Eureka3) has a PCI Express x16 v1 slot. I know that v2 and 2.1 cards are backwards compatible however I may not be able to take full advantage of the faster v2 cards.

Here are my issues so far...

- I am unsure which v2/2.1 cards I would be able to take full advantage of, I do not want to overspend on something that will just be limited by the speed of the v1 slot.

- I have heard that some motherboards don't play well with v2.1 cards and some need updates. I have been unable to find info on whether or not my motherboard can support a v2.1 card.

Last card I was looking at was a Radeon HD 6850 or something similar. I was looking to spend around $100-$150 but that could be somewhat flexible.

Can someone please recommend a card or at least get me pointed in the right direction?

Also I have a spare 650w Corsair PSU that I can use to power the new card.

G

first of all a PCI 1.0 x16 slot is fine to run even a PCI 3.0 card:
perfrel.gif

second a PCI 2.0 is fully backwards compatible, a pci 2.1 card may give you problems unless you can download a BIOS later than it release (looking at your mobo page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01746799&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en it doesn't look like it)
so really a PCI 2.0 will work w/o any problems a 2.1 card is a toss up.

EDIT:
AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 Graphics PCI Express® 2.1 x16 bus interface
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#2

nope not that . . .

Mike MPD

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Any resources to help with overclocking? Any for this processor specifically? I'm still a bit of a noob to the whole comp tuning/building game. :??:

Also my native resolution is 1920x1080 if anyone was wondering.

G

Intel Pentium E5400 Overclocking Guide!
i had my E5300 up to 3.9 without breaking a sweat on a evga 730i board; not the best board for overclocking. get a better heatsink though!

the 7770 is fine at that resolution.

and i just realized you have an HP computer. before you buy that . .make sure you CAN adjust the FSB speed in the BIOS . .you may be locked out from doing that . . :(

Mike MPD

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Yeah doesn't look like I will be able to overclock my CPU with the current MOBO unfortunately. Maybe a new motherboard will be my next upgrade...

G

you'd need to look at the whole ball of baloney; cpu, motherboard and ram. the system you have is a little outdated and may be too costly to upgrade individually.

G

i understand, though that CPU will have a hard time keeping up with that graphics card i recommended.
though for D3 you probably won't notice.

Mike MPD

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I read some reviews on the card you recommended and a lot of people complain about how loud it runs. Know of any similar cards that may run a little quieter?

G

MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition $124.99
a comparison on noise with other cards:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-hd-7770-oc-edition-review/7
if are looking for quieter and since you cannot overclock that cpu which *could* limit that card; there might be reason to look at a 7750:
ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7750 1GB $109.99
a comparison of the two cards with others.
AMD Radeon HD 7750 and 7770 review

G

*sigh*
no offense but i wish some folks would do their own homework. (not saying you don't just getting that asked too much . . :p )
the 7770 will play D3 @ max settings just fine.

usually i scoff at newegg feedback but, read the first review on that MSI link . . .
Alycat - Works great for diablo III

Mike MPD

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I had read mixed reviews. Some said it would run it fine at max settings at some said otherwise... figured it wouldn't hurt to ask again on here instead of google.

G

oh? some say no?
high%201680.png

though it isn't benched, i would put it above the 550ti and below the 7850.
(closer to the 6770/ 6850 mark)

Mike MPD

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
So i received and installed the 7770 today. only problem I've run into so far is that the largest resolution I can set the card to (catalyst settings) is 1680x1050. When I try and set my resolution back to 1920x1080(windows settings) I get a black space all around my screen.

Any solutions?

G

i'd suggest starting a "7770 resolution problem" thread that will draw the attention of someone that has found a solution to your problem.

and sorry i don't know myself.