Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X4 955 + HD7970 - bottlenecking?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bottleneck
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 4:41:07 AM

I was just about to order my HD7970 GHz Edition GPU when a friend of mine reminded me that my Phenom II X4 955 isn't exactly a high-end processor anymore and likely wouldn't keep up with my new GPU. I OC my CPU to 4.0ghz right now. I know there will be some bottlenecking, but I'm wondering just how much? Right now I'm aiming for a build that will run Far Cry 3 on high settings at a solid, dead-locked 60 fps. I know FC3 doesn't use any more than 4 threads so it shouldn't be that terrible, right?

After almost ordering the 7970 today I'm holding off for at least a few days to think this over. I don't like the idea of not getting 100% of the performance out of what I'm about the drop $400+ on. Just how bad do you think the Phenom will hold back a 7970?

More about : phenom 955 hd7970 bottlenecking

December 28, 2012 5:36:55 AM

A lot of bottlenecking. It's pretty simple: $90 dollar processor and a $450 graphics card. There's going to be a lot of bottlenecking.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 8:27:54 AM

At 4.0ghz you won't notice the bottleneck. Seriously people bang on about it too much. The Phenom ii easily has a couple of years left, even at stock speed. Yes the sandy bridge i5s will kick out more fps but who notices the difference of a few fps, when both kick out smooth frame rates. Get the 7970 and upgrade later on if you want to. A new GPU always gives a better performance boost than a newer cpu too
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 8:39:46 AM

Blahman11 said:
At 4.0ghz you won't notice the bottleneck. Seriously people bang on about it too much. The Phenom ii easily has a couple of years left, even at stock speed. Yes the sandy bridge i5s will kick out more fps but who notices the difference of a few fps, when both kick out smooth frame rates. Get the 7970 and upgrade later on if you want to. A new GPU always gives a better performance boost than a newer cpu too

Spot on.

You most probably wont even get a bottleneck at 4.0.

Toms tested some CPU's and Cards at 3.7 with your CPU in a group test a while ago and it didn't restrict a 5970 at 3.7. The 7970 is not that much faster so I would predict that you most probably wont get a bottleneck at all.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/balanced-gaming-pc-overcl...

Mactronix :) 

m
l
!