On and off power switch on a atx power supply

dmason

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello,
I am building a computer from scatch and a friend of mine gave me a case. But the case front panel had some components remove and so I have to modify the front end to include a power switch. I did not have one so I took a switch from the rear of a bad ATX power supply and when I put the switch in the on position and get a open circuit then the pc boot up for 2 seconds and the power is kill. And I try to boot up again and it does the same thing. I want to use this front end switch on the front panel of my pc. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. Thank You ! David

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A PSU switch is either all on or all off. The power switch to start a motherboard (keeping this very simple) just makes a very quick connection (sends a signal to start) and then goes back to the off position. It does not stay in the on position. Understand?

Get a momentary switch(effectively a switch that will not stay in the "on" positions it will return to off once you let go) that looks like you want it to look like.

Its not worth going to that trouble.

Just turn the switch to "on" position for a second then back to off. The pc will boot.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As all said, you need to use only a "momentary on, then disconnect" type of switch for this. The reason it turns on and then off again may not be clear to you. On most mobos, there is a second function for the normal on-off pushbutton. When the system is already running, if you push in the button (closing the switch) and HOLD it in for 5 seconds or more, the mobo immediately shuts down - a forced emergency stop. The switch you used, once you turn it "on", is ALWAYS closed. So the system starts up and, in 5 to 10 seconds, finds that the "pushbutton" is being held in and shuts down!

dmason

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
:hello: Everyone thank for your suggestions on my thread and I got some great answers. All I did was to take a power on and off switch and put it in the rear of the computer to turn on and off the power supply like in the old days.