6310i fax functions

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
Share
August 21, 2004 5:28:19 PM

Is anyone successfully sending faxes via the 6310i?

I recently bought a laptop and got my 6310i upgraded to the latest
firmware (5.52) by a Nokia dealer so as to use it with the laptop
integrated bluetooth. Connecting to the internet via gprs works fine but
fax sending via either bluetooth or via IrDA only works with some fax
machines. I can send faxes fine to my efax (www.efax.com) number but
faxes to my home machine (and every single other fax machine I've tried
so far) fail shortly after the call is answered. The same behaviour was
seen with firmware 4.81

I think it may be a problem with the call handshaking, see here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&thre...

but can't be sure this is the same issue. I'm using the inbuilt windows
xp fax software.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!

Remove spam block to mail me

More about : 6310i fax functions

August 22, 2004 1:46:15 PM

Au 22
Greetings. I regret that I am unable to offer a solution to your problem.
Indeed, not only have I no answer for you, but I wish to ask for *your*
help!

Please; I have been battling for weeks to connect my 6310i -- via BT to my
laptop -- to the www.

After a helluva long time on the 'phone with Nokia t/s, I finally made AND
MAINTAINED the BT connection between the 2 devices...but I can't get out
onto the 'net. I know for sure that it is some stupidly simple setting
problem with the various IP and/or DNS numbers. Actually, it is unclear
which numbers are entered into which of the 2 devices -- cellphone or
laptop -- and exactly where the various fields are located.

I have been supplied with a Gateway for GPRS access, and I'm pretty sure
this number goes into the "IP Address" field of the phone. I have also been
given a username and password, which I have entered into the appropriately
named fields in the phone AND the laptop [DUN] properties. And I have
entered *99# as the dial-up number in the laptop's DUN properties.

So - the laptop will now connect via BT, and it will bring up the DUN
window. If I click "Dial", it will command the phone to create a GPRS
connection -- which it does -- and it is then ready to go out onto the 'net.
But when I open MSIE, it tries for a few seconds, then it pops up a "Page
cannot be displayed" error, with some reference to DNS problems.

Can you or anyone reading this offer any ideas?! Please? I am soooo close.

Thanks very much.
Ron
August 22, 2004 7:34:41 PM

Ron wrote:
> Au 22
> Greetings. I regret that I am unable to offer a solution to your problem.
> Indeed, not only have I no answer for you, but I wish to ask for *your*
> help!
>
> Please; I have been battling for weeks to connect my 6310i -- via BT to my
> laptop -- to the www.
>
> After a helluva long time on the 'phone with Nokia t/s, I finally made AND
> MAINTAINED the BT connection between the 2 devices...but I can't get out
> onto the 'net. I know for sure that it is some stupidly simple setting
> problem with the various IP and/or DNS numbers. Actually, it is unclear
> which numbers are entered into which of the 2 devices -- cellphone or
> laptop -- and exactly where the various fields are located.
>
> I have been supplied with a Gateway for GPRS access, and I'm pretty sure
> this number goes into the "IP Address" field of the phone. I have also been
> given a username and password, which I have entered into the appropriately
> named fields in the phone AND the laptop [DUN] properties. And I have
> entered *99# as the dial-up number in the laptop's DUN properties.
>
> So - the laptop will now connect via BT, and it will bring up the DUN
> window. If I click "Dial", it will command the phone to create a GPRS
> connection -- which it does -- and it is then ready to go out onto the 'net.
> But when I open MSIE, it tries for a few seconds, then it pops up a "Page
> cannot be displayed" error, with some reference to DNS problems.
>
> Can you or anyone reading this offer any ideas?! Please? I am soooo close.
>
> Thanks very much.
> Ron

Ok - there are a number of things that can go wrong with bluetooth ->
gprs connections so I'm going to break this down into steps.

1) For bluetooth connections Nokia recommend having at least version
5.50 of the phone software (the most recent version is 5.52), you can
check what version your phone has by entering *#0000# on your phone
keypad. If you have an older version you need to take the phone to a
Nokia service centre to get the software upgraded. The Nokia web site of
your country will have a list of service centres. The upgrade is free if
your phone is in warranty (if it's out of warranty the typical charge
here in the UK is £10 - avoid carphone warehouse who charge £30)

2) The gprs settings on your phone - I can only tell you about my setup
(with orange UK), your provider may be different, but all I had to do
was set the APN to "orangeinternet" (your APN will be different)

Many providers have two different APNs - one for WAP over gprs and
another for Internet access from laptops and PDAs etc. Make sure you are
getting the settings for internet access from your providers customer
services. Some providers don't allow direct internet access, only WAP
access, you may want to clarify with them that what you are trying to do
is possible on their network.

3) Make sure you have the latest bluetooth stack available on your
machine. A very good guide for setting up bluetooth (with a recent
bluetooth stack from IBM that works with most adapters) is available at:

http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/

Many companies provide old, buggy drivers for their bluetooth adapters
which results in dropped connections etc.

4) Once the laptop is paired to the phone and you have a bluetooth
connection in dial up networking you need to use a dialstring of *99# -
with orange I leave the username and password blank and the ip address
is assigned automatically (this may be different with your provider)

Hope this helps - more help can be obtained on the forums of the site I
mention above.

regards,

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!

remove spam block to mail me
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 23, 2004 3:04:24 AM

drbob wrote:

Couple of other points:

> 1) For bluetooth connections Nokia recommend having at least version
> 5.50 of the phone software

Make sure you back up your phone data (phonebook, sms messages etc)
before you get the software update as it will reset your phone to
factory defaults you can do this via infra-red with Nokia data suite, or
ask the dealer who does the upgrade to do it for you (or better still do
both)

> 2) The gprs settings on your phone - I can only tell you about my setup
> (with orange UK), your provider may be different, but all I had to do
> was set the APN to "orangeinternet" (your APN will be different)
>
> Many providers have two different APNs - one for WAP over gprs and
> another for Internet access from laptops and PDAs etc. Make sure you are
> getting the settings for internet access from your providers customer
> services. Some providers don't allow direct internet access, only WAP
> access, you may want to clarify with them that what you are trying to do
> is possible on their network.

The APN for internet access over bluetooth or irda needs to be set in:

Menu -> Settings -> GPRS modem settings -> edit current access point

This can be confusing as GPRS settings for the phones internal WAP
browser, which have no relation to GPRS over bluetooth can be entered under:

Menu -> Services -> Settings

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
August 23, 2004 3:04:25 AM

Extreme excitement!!

I got it! More detail will follow...but it was another sub-menu [in the
phone]. Something about GPRS modem settings. It was set to use the
Microbrowser APN. Changed it to "internet.com", and BINGO.

<Evil cackling>

So now I need to clarify exactly what "WAP" browsing is. I realize that I
can connect to my cell providers' service with *only* the cellphone. I have
done this, actually. They call it a 'MicroBrowser'. (Seems pretty
worthless, really.)

Or, I can link up the cell with the laptop [via BT] and access the www, AND
my e-mail account at my regular ISP. (!!)

In fact, drbob, I think that maybe you have already been assisting me in the
Jon's forum. If that is the case, then I will def. write to you directly.
But now, I need to crash. (It's 2300h Sunday here)

Cheers!
Ron
August 23, 2004 7:45:47 PM

I've successfully faxed with the 6310i. I used the modem driver that can be
downloaded from the Nokia site and/or is on the CD. Fax program was Win2K
built in stuff - doubt XP is much different.
August 23, 2004 9:39:10 PM

Richard wrote:

> I've successfully faxed with the 6310i. I used the modem driver that can be
> downloaded from the Nokia site and/or is on the CD. Fax program was Win2K
> built in stuff - doubt XP is much different.

Thanks for your input, I just have a couple of questions:

Did you have to set up any special modem init strings to get faxing to
work? Have you made fax calls to lots of different lines or just one or
two (i.e could you just have been lucky)?

regards,

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
August 24, 2004 2:59:37 PM

I just used the defaults that the nokia installer set.

I havn't used it a lot - so may have been lucky.

Is the 6310i the last Nokia to support faxing? The newer ones don't seem
to.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:38:44 PM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:59:37 +0000, Richard wrote:

> Is the 6310i the last Nokia to support faxing? The newer ones don't seem
> to.

I have sent faxes from my powerbook via a 6600.

Simon.
August 24, 2004 6:46:33 PM

Richard wrote:

> I just used the defaults that the nokia installer set.
>
> I havn't used it a lot - so may have been lucky.
>
> Is the 6310i the last Nokia to support faxing? The newer ones don't seem
> to.

This is definitely a fax configuration issue, not a hardware issue.
Using a third party fax application (electrasoft 32bit fax) I was able
to send a fax to a line that fails every time with windows xp fax
services.

I was using the init string: AT&F&C1&D3&K4S7=255 with the electrasoft
fax application, the default nokia string is ATS7=255&D3. However using
the electrasoft string in windows xp fax (by changing "SetupCommand"
string under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fax\TAPIDevices\(deviceid)\Modem\)
didn't work.

I have a feeling that xp fax services may not understand fax class 2.0
(not fax class 1 or 2 - the ".0" signifies a different class defined by
the itu), the electrasoft app was using that fax class on the line that
didn't work with xp fax.

I'm going to play around with the settings some more to see if I can get
windows xp fax to work with all fax machines rather than the 20% success
rate I've seen so far.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!