My CPU keeps making a noise

finboy2k10

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Two days ago I noticed my Computer kept making a constant noise. After turning it off and leaving to for a bit I turn it on again and the noise was still there. After switching and checking all my ram I came across that when I changed the power setting it stopped for a while, so I believe it is the CPU. It is a horrible scratchy beeping kind of noise, please can anyone help?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Is it a clear constant beeping tone or more of high pitched whine ?
If its a beep its the board telling you the cpu is getting hot and the bios is giving you a warning alarm, this can be setup in the bios, and the alarm can be changed to trigger when the cpu reaches a defined temp setting in the bios. Setting a higher value will stop this in the alarm section for the cpu in the bios.
But as said it could also be an old capacitor, as they often make the same type of noise as they get older with use, or a loose choke coil on the motherboard.

Maybe the system needs a clean out, and you should have a look at taking the cpu cooler and fan assembly off and cleaning it all then re apply some thermal paste to the cpu fit it all back together and see if the problem goes away as a last resort.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Is it a clear constant beeping tone or more of high pitched whine ?
If its a beep its the board telling you the cpu is getting hot and the bios is giving you a warning alarm, this can be setup in the bios, and the alarm can be changed to trigger when the cpu reaches a defined temp setting in the bios. Setting a higher value will stop this in the alarm section for the cpu in the bios.
But as said it could also be an old capacitor, as they often make the same type of noise as they get older with use, or a loose choke coil on the motherboard.

Maybe the system needs a clean out, and you should have a look at taking the cpu cooler and fan assembly off and cleaning it all then re apply some thermal paste to the cpu fit it all back together and see if the problem goes away as a last resort. One more thing a long beep could also mean that the extra power to the Pci-e graphics card is not connected so check it is, some boards make a long beeping sound to denote this.

finboy2k10

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
It is a constant whine, but the cpu heat sink should not be clogged as it is only a week old.

Amd fx 6200
Asus m5a99
Nvidia gtx 650ti
Corsair 60gb ssd
Seawater barracuda 500gb hdd
Xigmatek Loki CPU near sink and fan
Zalman z9 case

finboy2k10

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
It is a constant whine, but the cpu heat sink should not be clogged as it is only a week old.

Amd fx 6200
Asus m5a99x
Nvidia gtx 650ti
Corsair 60gb ssd
Seawater barracuda 500gb hdd
Xigmatek Loki CPU heat sink and fan
Zalman z9 case