Sign in with
Your question

Windows Login

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 12, 2002 9:38:28 PM

Hey guys, my question for anyone who can help me is; the pop-up box that asks for your password during the start-up screen is always a bothersome. How do I get rid of this pesky box? I have Win98SE. Thanks for your help!!! Dave

More about : windows login

January 12, 2002 9:46:31 PM

Easiest way is to bring up network properties and select 'Microsoft Family Logon' as your network client instead of 'Client For Microsoft Networks'. After a reboot, it should no longer prompt you for a password.

P.S. If family login isn't there, add it by clicking Add --> Client --> MS Family Logon (under the Microsoft heading)
Related resources
January 13, 2002 4:06:24 PM

That popup supposed to say that you don't get it again if you don't enter any password, just click ok. In case it's the network log on pass popup, right click the Network Neighborhood icon and go Properties, and change Primary Network Logon from Client for Microsoft Networks to Windows Logon.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;) 
January 13, 2002 5:33:05 PM

SUMMARY

This article describes how to prevent Windows from prompting you for a password when you start Windows.

Note that this information applies only if you are not using user profiles. If you have user profiles enabled, and you follow the steps in this
article, Windows is not prevented from prompting you for a password. If you have enabled user profiles and you would like to disable or
delete them before you follow these steps, view the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q156826 How to Disable and Delete User Profiles

MORE INFORMATION

To prevent Windows from prompting you for a password at startup:

Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click Network .

On the Configuration tab, click Windows Logon in the Primary Network Logon box, and then click OK .

When you are prompted to restart your computer, click No .

In Control Panel, double-click Passwords .

On the Change Passwords tab, click Change Windows Password , select any of the check boxes that you want, and then click
OK .

NOTE : If you cancel the network logon dialog box when you start your computer, the Change Passwords tab may not be available.
You must log on so that the Change Passwords tab is available.

In the Change Windows Password dialog box, type your current Windows password in the Old Password box. Leave the New
Password and Confirm New Password boxes blank, click OK , and then click OK .

NOTE : If you have forgotten your old password, view the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q189126 Microsoft's Policy Regarding Missing or Invalid Passwords

On the User Profiles tab, verify that the All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings option is selected,
and then click Close .

Click Start , point to Search (or Find ), and then click For Files or Folders .

Type *.pwl in the Named box, click Local Hard Drives in the Look in box, and then press ENTER.

Right-click one of the .pwl files, click Rename , and then rename the file with an .old file name extension. Repeat this step for each
.pwl file.

NOTE : If you do not rename the .pwl files, the passwords from those files may be detected by Windows and the Windows Logon
request may continue to appear.

Shut down and then restart your computer.
January 16, 2002 11:54:03 PM

The easiest way to remove this password dialog box is go to Start--->Control Panel--->Settings. Double click on Network, click on Windows Family Logon and click remove then reboot your comp.
January 17, 2002 8:45:06 PM

Windows Family Logon isn't the cause of the password prompt, Client for Microsoft Networks is. You don't need to remove it, just select Windows Family Logon as your Primary Network Logon.
!