Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Effect of PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2012 7:56:45 AM

Hello, friends, I was hoping for you all to confirm something for me.

I've done a little bit of reading around on these forums, and I've learned that for the most part, the difference between PCI Express 2.0 and 3.0 are negligible, to the point that not a large number of motherboards in the market today come equipped with it.

But I have read that should I use a GPU with PCI-E 3.0 in a motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 slots, I will suffer some performance/speed issues. How significant of a hit will I take should I do this? What kind of speed issues will I face e.g. frame rate?

I was also hoping for you guys to take a look at the CPU, GPU, and motherboard and tell me if there are any compatibility issues/limiting factors.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks in advance!

More about : effect pci

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 23, 2012 8:44:59 AM

No single PCIe 3.0 card will be bottle necked significantly (or at all) by a a 2.0 slot. You would need to go SLI/CF with high end cards to really see a measurable difference.

Regardless, with the card you selected, you'll be absolutely fine. Nowhere near fast enough for it to even be a consideration.

And the compatibility looks fine.
June 23, 2012 9:14:13 AM

Many thanks, friend. I appreciate the comment. =)

But for future reference...should it be fast enough, what kind of performance hit would I see? Just want to make note as to what a "drop in speed" is specifically referring to.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 23, 2012 9:24:37 AM

gigadager said:
Many thanks, friend. I appreciate the comment. =)

But for future reference...should it be fast enough, what kind of performance hit would I see? Just want to make note as to what a "drop in speed" is specifically referring to.

It'll be fine, you won't see any performance hit in a 2.0 slot with a 7750. Like I said, almost no single card configuration will be affected, even at the very top end. Basically, only a GTX 690 would be affected by it. After that, also like I said above, you'd need to go SLI/CF with a 680 or 7950 to see a small difference.

PCIe 3.0 is really nothing to worry about with current cards. A PCIe 2.0 slot at x16 equals a PCIe 3.0 slot at x8, but that's really not important, for now.

All you need to know is that you'll be just fine with ANY single card you want to go with.

m
l
June 23, 2012 9:31:46 AM

Best answer selected by gigadager.
m
l
June 23, 2012 9:32:11 AM

Many thanks! Learned a bit more. =)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 23, 2012 9:43:17 AM

gigadager said:
Many thanks! Learned a bit more. =)

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
December 3, 2012 9:26:57 PM

With hardware as of now the only time you would notice a notable difference with PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0 would be if you used triple or quad SLI

The PCI-E transfer rates are as shown
v1.0: 4 GB/s (40 GT/s)
v2.0: 8 GB/s (80 GT/s)
v3.0: 16 GB/s (128 GT/s)

it may seem like a large significant but other than the GTX 690 absolutely no other modern card would be able to make use of those speeds..... that is unless you were to use 3 or 4 cards, because when you use triple or quad SLI you are only able to use PCI-E x8 speed. PCI-E 3.0 x8 speed is equal to a PCI-E 2.0 x16 meaning if you tri or quad SLI it's obvious how fast the speed differences would stack

In other words, unless you're going to put over 2k$ into graphics cards it won't be an issue
m
l
!