Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-8350 45Degrees celsius Idle temps, high?

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 9:16:26 AM

So i've recently built my new Workstation computer+ Gaming PC.

Anyways I have bought a Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo with the FX-8350 Eight core processor, and I have a Corsair H60 liquid cooler. When I boot into windows and monitor my temps through Asus' software it's showing 45 degrees celsius with liquid cooling!

I'm not OC or Running turbo mode, i'm actually running in energy saving mode. When it's underload i'm getting 65 degrees celsius and i get warnings saying "Warning CPU centigrade 65 degrees celsius" I get the same results with Stock cooler.

I have Artic Silver 5 thermal compound applied to it, are these normal temps for the Piledriver series? Should i invest into a better liquid cooling system? Should i try to re apply thermal compound?

If it is the cooling system which one do you recommend for this monster CPU?

I don't want Intel fanboys coming on here say " AMD SUCKS BLOWS ETC."

I just need some opinions, i know 125 tdp give higher temps but i think this is a lot or am i fine? Tips please.
a c 78 à CPUs
December 28, 2012 10:12:47 AM

Are you overclocked? If so, what voltages /clock speeds are you running?

If you are stock, those temps are higher than expected, so...

1) Cross reference your temps with another program just to be sure those are the actual temps.

2) Clean and then Reapply thermal paste.

3) A another cooler and test. (A cheap hyper 212 should keep temps lower than that at stock)
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 10:19:53 AM

do you have C1E set in your bios
m
l
Related resources
a c 108 à CPUs
December 28, 2012 10:27:24 AM

How much TIM did you use? Too much is not a good thing.

Temps are driven by your volts. I suspect your volts are on *Auto*

Take manual control of your voltages.

m
l
December 28, 2012 10:45:08 AM

Hi, those temps are quite high even for the stock cooler from AMD, i suggest the following:

Buy some arctic silver 5 and apply it, the stock thermal paste is not that good.

You could buy a new cooler like the arctic freezer pro 7 which comes with thermal paste ready attached to the cooler.

Take manual control of the voltages and put them to what they should be.

Hope these tips helped, using these, my athlon ii x4 640 never goes above 50 degrees, even under full load!

:) 
m
l
December 28, 2012 5:52:24 PM

So now i've got the temps down to 40degrees idle, I think im going to invest in a better liquid cooling system and buy some more Artic Silver compound and re apply it all, i get 57 degrees just playing fable 3 max settings and 65 underload.
m
l
December 28, 2012 9:38:06 PM

bmxcody123 said:
So now i've got the temps down to 40degrees idle, I think im going to invest in a better liquid cooling system and buy some more Artic Silver compound and re apply it all, i get 57 degrees just playing fable 3 max settings and 65 underload.

65 under load isn't actually that bad, but it's bad enough to need to get a new cooler, i recommend the Corsair h50/60.

These are cheap but effective coolers, they are easy to fit and do a great job. If you want to go down the air-cooling route, i suggest getting either a hyper 212 or a arctic freezer pro 7, both really good.

Hope i helped! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 9:50:03 PM

I'm thinking something isn't seated properly, ventilation is poor, or those temp readings are incorrect. Your already running a liquid cooling system. Temps should be lower.

People, read his post. He is running a liquid cooler and arctic silver already.
m
l
December 29, 2012 1:34:35 AM

Yea, with liquid cooling your temps should be way lower. What is your case, and do you have any case fans? Do you feel that air is hot inside the case when u take off the side panel?
And also check your BIOS settings for your fans, maybe you have it restricted or BIOS is doing something wrong.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:40:34 AM

I am using an fx 8350 on asrock 970 extreme3 motherboard with the corsair H70 core cooler (and 2x sp120 fans, using included thermal paste) Idle temps are 8-9 degrees, measured by coretemp. under normal use(games, video converting, etc.) I cant remember ever breaking 40 degrees?

on a side note, my voltage is set to auto, and is really high, like 1.44v measured in cpu-z under full load. haven't had the time to see how low I can get it to, but does anybody have a figure that it should ideally be at?

My guess is either too much thermal paste, or not seated properly (tighten screws on water pump). also, try coretemp or some other monitoring program.
m
l
January 19, 2013 11:03:57 AM

Hi...

I've had 8 amd chip builds in the last year. I built most of them for myself. I have always loved amd. I had a build with the fx-4100, fx-6100(still have this one), the fx-6200(built for a friend), the fx-8120(returned the chip...will discuss later), the fx-8150(sold it back to the seller and got the fx-8350 today), the phenom 2 955BE, and the phenom 1090t. I also built and intel i5 2500k with a Fatality pro board..will discuss this later too. I'm typing this on my Asus m5a97/fx-8350 bulid now.

Here's my experience:

fx-4100: amazing quality for such a low price...kept cool..ran all my games...was completely impressed...end of story.

fx-6100: paired it with a gigabyte ultra durable 3 board...works like a charm..great temps...great with all games...period.

fx-6200: paired with an Asus m5a97 board...temps too high..managed to get them down around 57-58c on prime....tried reseating the heatsink so many times to get those temps...usually ran really high, and I wasn't even overclocking. *all these builds had good aftermaket coolers...I bypass the stock coolers on both amd and Intel. Disappointing results...slow boot times too...generally mediocre.

fx-8120: without any overclock..this could not be cooled..tried numerous heatsinks/pastes..etc...just could not get the temps down at all..very disappointing. End of story there.

fx-8150: thios thing simply could not be cooled at all...tried different heatsinks/pastes...maybe 12 times..even swapped mainboards..etc...on prime it would blow past 64c on the first test no matter what...very disappointed...started to sour on amd after this third chip had heat issues..ambient room temp was 18-20...

fx-8350: just bought today to replace the barbequing temps of the 8150...no such luck...had to overvolt just to get it to run prime 95 at stock! With great aftermarket cooling and paste...it climbed slower than the 8150...but would hit 61 before test 1 and I shut it down as it is a new chip...shaping up the same as the 8150...they have a DEFINTE HEAT PROBLEM...amd appears to be in a rush to catch intel...and I think they are sending these things out with very little quality control...have no other explination. As far as I'm concerned...these chips are complete junk. I'd much sooner have a i3 with hyper-threading...and decent temps...I build my rigs for gaming..its my passion and hobby.

phenom 2 955BE: was ok..ran a bit hot, but al in all I managed to get the temps down...I had it in a newer board (amd 3+)..it worked poorly..sluggish, with high temps..but dropped it in an year old amd 3+ asrock board...and it flew..with great temps too...I actually overclocked it from 3.2ghz (stock) to 3.5ghz on the stock heatsink with no heat issue at all!! *note to all: seems these amd chips are very fussy about the boards they go in...on one they'll run fine...on anopther they'll be totally pathetic in every way.

phenom 2 1090t: amazing cpu...great temps...played all my games with no issues at all..great cpu!!

core i5 2500k: paired with an asrock fatality pro board. I got a simple 212 cooler...never overclocked it (it was a total speed demon already) Set it in the board..with 2400 ram 9the board clocked that down to 2133...which was ok..still rocked everything like crazy). This chip never climbs above 40c on any game...same room as my amd builds! I put prime on it and it took forever to hit 47c! No watercooling...!! After spending the better part of 10 000 dollars this past year on these rigs...I have to say the 2500k just amazes me...I hate it..I love amd...I have thrown so much at them hoping they would justify my loyalty.

conclusion I arrived at: the amd chips (particularly the fx's)..are a crap-shoot...if you get a good one and a board that good too..they'll be ok....but in my experence (b itterly learned) amd may be 'cheaper', but I've spent far more on things like heatsinks..pastes...cases..case fans...hours of my time...that all could have been saved by simply biting the bullet..swallowing my pride..and just getting the core i5 2500k and be done with it. All in all...the fx chips (mosat of them) have a serious heat issue..period. The phenoms are quite good if paired with the right board...better than the fx's and piledriver as I've discovered tonight as I write this on another fx (8350) that could double as a waffle iron while I'm not sitting at it...these fx chips will make your wallet lighter..your head hurt...and your room nice and toasty if the exhaust fans crank tryiong to dissipate the tropical temps these things bake in. Time to let my loyalty go...I don't care if Intel is the 'only player on the market'...just let me pay the piper, buy the i5 2500k..or i5 3570..or 3770k..and be done with it..just give me a machine that works...!!

Now I have another paperweight of a machine (fx-8350)...my gf can use it to chat and fb while I fly past on any game with super cool temps on the i5 2500k...I learned a lesson...as my father would say, I got a 8-10 000 dollar education this past year...and I have my intel 2500k to thank for helping me not sink into total despair. Don't bother with all the water cooling...pastes...heatsinks...reseating them...and desperately searching online like me for answers..just get an intel and be done with it. Sorry...but learn from me...its not worth it at all...unless you can't afford an intel at all..or you just want a workstation, not a good gaming rig. End of my story.

m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:55:55 PM

The FX8350 does not have a heat problem.

m
l
February 2, 2013 6:02:13 AM

interesting, i have a 8120 which would never reach 55deg and since +-3 months i'm having trouble keeping it under 65... changed the cooler, changed paste and same story goes. I bought this thing to do finite element analysis... it def rocks on processing power but now i have to pause every 5 minutes to let it cool down.. def not the best set-up :??: 

I first used this huge OCZ Vindicator then switched to the OEM cooler with the same results. Had cheap past at first and when it started to overheat i tried using arctic cooling MX-2 compound. Even if it's not the best, it should not make a difference from 50 to 65-70 max load temp... thinking about using a bucket with dry ice right now...
m
l
February 11, 2013 10:22:30 PM

bmxcody123 said:
So i've recently built my new Workstation computer+ Gaming PC.

Anyways I have bought a Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo with the FX-8350 Eight core processor, and I have a Corsair H60 liquid cooler. When I boot into windows and monitor my temps through Asus' software it's showing 45 degrees celsius with liquid cooling!

I'm not OC or Running turbo mode, i'm actually running in energy saving mode. When it's underload i'm getting 65 degrees celsius and i get warnings saying "Warning CPU centigrade 65 degrees celsius" I get the same results with Stock cooler.

I have Artic Silver 5 thermal compound applied to it, are these normal temps for the Piledriver series? Should i invest into a better liquid cooling system? Should i try to re apply thermal compound?

If it is the cooling system which one do you recommend for this monster CPU?

I don't want Intel fanboys coming on here say " AMD SUCKS BLOWS ETC."

I just need some opinions, i know 125 tdp give higher temps but i think this is a lot or am i fine? Tips please.

I have the same exact set up as yours. At 1st I thought maybe something is wacked too. My idle is also 40c no OC, Artic Silver, H60, M5A97..... etc... Artic is the 3rd compound I've tried and the best so far. I was at 43-44 idle prior using the other 2 compounds.

One thing I noticed in the BIOS, go to the advance BIOS (F7) > Monitor Tab > CPU Q-Fan Control > Chasis Control > "DISABLE" The H60 Pump should be plugged into one of those headers. This should allow the pump to run at full speed ~4100-4200 RPM / 2 = real RPM.

------------------
Still no cure for the Temp. I suspect it could be the auto voltage applied from the MB > CPU. VOLT = TEMP. However, we are both resulting in about the same temp ballpark. The annoying thing is the H60 Fan running ~1800-1900rpm all the time giving us 30+ dba noise.
I'm on the search for a quieter fan. I found a couple on Newegg but we fall into the same problem > higher temp > PWM > faster fan speed. Thinking about running a 3 pin quiet series in the CPU fan slot x 2 (1 to pull, 1 to push but exhausting out). I've seen some that run 12dba, 44cfm, 1500rpm max. Concerned about Temp thou... not sure if the 1800-1900rpm on the Stock H60 Fan is keeping us about 40c. I found a link that states that the H60 fan is ~30dba, 74cfm, 1900rpm.
Lastly, I've updated the BIOS hoping for some fan control, but again no luck. I really think the 8350 is running hot because of voltage. It's the only thing I haven't messed with and still on AUTO.

m
l
March 24, 2013 10:26:25 PM

OK, so you both have the same board, CPU, and cooling solution?

@drwackwack, you said the only thing you haven't tried is changing the voltage, I may use a different board to you(asrock fatal1ty 990fx professional), but my fx 8350 is set to 4.2Ghz manually (no turbo mode, since that drastically increases the volts) with a CPU VID of 1.3125
Windows in high performance mode, Idle 14c, Gaming 43c, full load (LinX) 55c. Temps from coretemp 1.0 RC4. balanced mode is pretty much the same but with a much lower idle temp (8c or something).
also, I'm using the H70 core cooler, which is double width, so your temps may be a little higher.

Make sure that your cooler is on a fan socket that is set to "full on" in the BIOS or whatever, that might also help. do the fans on the H60 connect to the water block like on H70, or directly to the motherboard?

Do you have ample case cooling? I use zalman Z9 U3 case with 4 fans plus the water cooler.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2jf97nftozoj3x/IMAG0030.jpg <<<Through the side panel of my case:D 
m
l
March 24, 2013 11:36:23 PM

The problem could in fact be the adapter as well.
m
l
June 19, 2013 11:37:24 AM

I think its just the way certain chips are. I have a hyper evo 212 on the 8350 with a 970 extreme4, my lowest on cpu z is 12 but idles around 14-20. Sometimes jumps to 26. Playing planetside2 on ultra got it to 45 max I have seen it at. Played metro and borderlands 2. I think it jumps like that because its processing my slow ass internet mixed with having steam and the internet on when I watch it.
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 20, 2013 7:33:04 AM

Have you tried setting up a push/pull fan config on your H60? The H60 is really a very moderate liquid cooling solution. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO performs about on par...though the H60 is a bit quieter.

To get it to run well, you need to set up 2 fans, one pushing air and another pulling air through the radiator. You also need to make sure the heat sink is seated well with a thin, even layer of thermal paste.

The other thing you might look at, is with your PC being a workstation, things are likely packed in with big GPUs, and lots of RAM, etc. You could add a few case fans to help exhaust the additional heat build up inside your case if it isn't well ventilated, and that will drastically help with temps.

You have to remember, big GPUs give off big heat...so you need to reconcile a method of clearing that heat out of your case...otherwise ambient temps for everything will rise.

Good luck.

m
l
July 16, 2013 6:02:14 AM

My cooling setup is: noctua nh-d14, 1 x 12cm rear, 2 x 12cm top, 1 x 12cm front intake. noctua thermal compound.

Default settings on mobo. Clock speed at 4.1-4.2ghz, v1.3-v1.4 , Idles at 1.4ghz v1.15-v1.25.

I'm getting 41c on CPU at startup. Playing WOT tops at 47c. Idles at 45c after playing for like an hour.

fans are silent. and yeah, when i try to feel the rig , I can feel some heat from within. I'll definitely add bottom/front intake and side panel exhaust.
m
l
July 20, 2013 11:49:39 PM

Hi, I was having similar problems keep my A10 6800k cool.
It was idling at 48° with stock cpu fan and x2 140mm chassis fans.
In the bios I disabled Turbo Core Technology and changed fan control from Auto (target cpu temp:45°, target fan speed:Level 9) to Full On on all 3 fans.
Its now idling at 35° which isnt bad with stock fans i guess.
m
l
July 21, 2013 1:00:47 AM

Wow ! what an old post. But there is a solution here, I myself am the proud owner of a amd fx 8350. First thing I did was buy the corsair h80 to cool it, then some fans then more fans because the first fans were to loud { stock fans are too loud too} then fans that wouldn't work with the corsair speed controller located on the actually unit. btw people have had issues with buying new fans and them acting loopy? well it took me awhile to figure out but its the fans not the corsair, the little three prongs on certain fans are not placed correctly or set up differently so that they will not react to the corsair h80 push button speed adjuster. Put the stock fans back on , controller works fine! dough! anyways the stock fans are to loud for me seeing that I like to record audio with high end mics that pick up everything. So back to your problem my friend , your 8350 is running at 45 idle and you have tried everything to get it cooler' {good thermal paste \ turn fans all the way up.} Well im here to inform you ITS THE FANS!!! ha I have the same corsair sp120 fans which are totally silent and very nice build quality but they have one krux , they don't push a lot of air, with my stock fans my cpu idles at 31 c with the sp120 fans 41 c you tell me? Ive kept in the sp120 because I love how silent they are but it has been frustrating to me from day one when my cpu jumped 10 c after install, silence is golden for me but if your not that concerned ditch those fans or for people thinking of purchasing them think twice. I hope I have saved some of you fx8350 people out there some trouble and some corsair h series owners as well : ) happy building.
m
l
January 3, 2014 7:06:32 AM

It is normal to get 45C with the stock AMD cooler if you can afford $35 then consider getting a Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO... the thermal paste comes along with it, but it isn't anywhere near to the Artic Silver
m
l
January 25, 2014 10:57:57 PM

Wisecracker said:

The FX8350 does not have a heat problem.

bullshit. i have a FX8350. i disabled the 5th 6th 7th and 8th cores. enabled cool'n'quiet and its running at 51-54C
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
January 26, 2014 7:02:14 AM

Funny.

You did not list your volts. cooling or motherboard in your 'drive-by'

Thanks for playing.

m
l
January 26, 2014 11:10:11 AM

I also have a fx 8350 with a corsair h55 and on idle it sits at 7°C/46°F. on load with battlefield 4 its at 60°F. Maybe just a bad cooler or motherboard
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2014 11:31:51 AM

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376926

Read number 2)

With slight overclock to 4.3-4.4 Ghz with a Noctua cooling my CPU, my loadtemp has never gone above 50 C in any game. Usually sits around 45 C. Idle temp I don't know because of the above.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
January 26, 2014 11:37:19 AM

Ideally you want the socket temp in the low 30s when idle. 45c seems a tad high. But of course what really matters is the load temp.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2014 11:40:45 AM

I'd bet some of your heat is coming from your lack of VRM heatsinks on that motherboard. The LE version doesnt have them.
m
l
June 6, 2014 4:07:18 PM

fwe thing to share hope it may help some one. I have phenom II X4 965 BE, my ambient temp is 49 C, But I have enabled Cool & Quite from bios also disabled QFAN Control both cpu & chassis & runing cm hyper n620 at full speed @ 2000+ RPM chassis fans @ full rpm as a result I am getting 39 Degree Celcius cpu temp as idle @ my VCORE is 0.94Volt, & Iam not gaming.But My GPU HD 6870 is showing 45 C @ 65% fan speed.......idle
m
l
June 23, 2014 6:19:44 PM

hi guys.i bought fx 8350 3 days ago.and i bought an deepcool beta 400 plus with it.when i run rome 2 at extreme quality my temps goes to 64 c. is it normal? do i need to buy a better cpu cooler? i cant get it but in every game when i lunch the game my fans goes at full speed in about 15 min.
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 24, 2014 5:52:22 PM

pedi9004 said:
hi guys.i bought fx 8350 3 days ago.and i bought an deepcool beta 400 plus with it.when i run rome 2 at extreme quality my temps goes to 64 c. is it normal? do i need to buy a better cpu cooler? i cant get it but in every game when i lunch the game my fans goes at full speed in about 15 min.

Yes, the best solution you can get is a CM Hyper 212 EVO if you are on a budget, and pick up a pair of matching aftermarket fans for it...I like JetFlo 120s, but get what you want, set them up in push/pull config (front and rear of cooler working together) and it will make a massive difference, 64C is too warm.
m
l
June 25, 2014 5:48:52 PM

i got a gamer storm deepcool and its so nice and quiet and it keeps the cpu temp under 53c and cpu core temp under 40c in full load.and what i understand now is that cpu temp shows the chipset temp(up to 70c is okay) and u must get a program that shows core temp and the most important thing is the core temp(for amd fx 8350 is up to 61c).
m
l
June 29, 2014 8:47:09 PM

I invested in the Corsair H100i for my FX-8350 build. And I could not be happier with the temps. It's sitting in an Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 board. At the moment, my bedroom is about 20°C and the CPU is idling at 30°C. After playing BF4 for a couple hours, the highest CPU temp I have observed is 42°C! Two AF140 intakes in the front of the case, one in the back. H100i rad is exhausting out the top (just 2 fans pushing). Maybe I got lucky with my chip, but I think the H100i is a worthwhile investment for anyone with heat concerns.
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
June 30, 2014 7:49:12 AM

Quote:
u must get a program that shows core temp and the most important thing is the core temp(for amd fx 8350 is up to 61c).

AMD does not use 'core temp'

AMD uses 'thermal margin' and as it approaches -5C you will begin to see 'core-throttling' ...

edit: that should likely be " ...may begin to see 'core-throttling'..."

m
l
July 11, 2014 6:46:17 AM

I have an AMD FX8350, Asus M5a99fx, Corsair H50. I had problems with idle temps between 50-60c. My problem was the push/pull fan setup on the H50. I had the outside intake fan (push), backwards (blowing out)! Once I flipped it around I am sitting at idle temps of 30c and lower. Under load 47c. I know this is old but this post turns up a lot for people with similar issues so sharing my solution.
Here's the order and flow direction I have things sandwiched:
Intake fan --> / Case wall / Radiator / Exhaust fan --> / Inside case
My ambient room temps are around 24c (75f)
My push/pull 120mm fans are at 1200rpm (according to monitor)
m
l
!