Adding parts to my old computer to reuse it $100

bluemagic

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hi.

I recently built a new computer which i took some of the parts from my old computer.

I took out the PSU and the GPU

So basically the old computer is missing the PSU and GPU but i'm trying to make it reusable for my mother.

Here are the spec for it.

Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz
500GB HDD
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
2GB x 2 Ram

I had a 700 watt PSU in it but i'm guessing that isn't all that needed?
I think i had an unnecessary amount of wattage for the old computer.

So i'm considering

PSU
-----------------
Price - $50 or around that

GPU
----------------
Price - $50 or around that

I don't know what wattage because that would depend on the GPU.

The computer will be used a lot for just watching videos, at most HD probably. And a bit of web surfing, so not too much.

Thanks.

Solution
actually that video card will be perfectly compatible with your system. PCI Express is backwards compatible you could put a PCIE 3.0 card into a PCIE 1.0 slot and it would work perfectly fine. PCIE 2.1 will work in a PCIE 1.0 slot...provided the 1.0 slot is x16 (which it is).....also that PSU would be more than enough power for your system...you could even get by with a 250watt psu in this system...the 450watt psu I have picked out is overkill. in that link you sent me amazon is incorrect

drums101

Distinguished
since this pc is not going to be used for games you can get away with a really cheap video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339

this is a good option consumes very little power but has pretty much every type of port you will probably need

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

this psu is actually a little nicer than what you need but it has a great rebate right now....for $25+ shipping you cannot go wrong plenty of power and a great brand

both of which are under your budget but will serve your purpose just fine you so it makes your wallet happy too

bluemagic

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for replying but i'm not sure if that video card will be compatible.

I went to amazon link and it says that pci-e 2.1 card is not compatible with pci-e 1.0 slot.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Radeon-HD5450-PCI-Express-GBK3-SH/dp/B00372X8UC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344835930&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=PowerColor+Go%21+Green+AX5450+512MK3-SH+Radeon+HD+5450+%28Cedar%29

A review on newegg states the same thing

My motherboard seems to be only supporting 1.0 unfortunately.

Also, would the psu be ok because sometimes the computer might be on load for whatever reason and i'm worried about that.

Thanks.

drums101

Distinguished
actually that video card will be perfectly compatible with your system. PCI Express is backwards compatible you could put a PCIE 3.0 card into a PCIE 1.0 slot and it would work perfectly fine. PCIE 2.1 will work in a PCIE 1.0 slot...provided the 1.0 slot is x16 (which it is).....also that PSU would be more than enough power for your system...you could even get by with a 250watt psu in this system...the 450watt psu I have picked out is overkill. in that link you sent me amazon is incorrect

Solution

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

the MB you listed actually has PCIe 1.1
PCIe 2.0 and up is backwards compatible with 1.1. I am running one of these with a GTX 570 (PCIe2 .1) without any issues

bluemagic

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Ahhh I see.

Thanks for that information~

I think i will be purchasing those then.

I appreciate the recommendations.