New Build Complete -- how to use two hard drives?

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hello everyone, I my new build is complete. I went ahed and watched the newegg.com video on how to build a computer. The guy recomends that you use the SSD to install windows on which I have done. My question is--how do I take advantage of both a SSD and a HDD? Windows and all my drivers are on SSD. I have left HDD unplugged for the installation of windows, as of now, it is completely blank.

Here is my build:

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Mem: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive- SDSSDX-240G-G25

Should I install windows on the other drive as well? This is a gaming rig, and my concern is to get max performance. I also intend to use it for school and it will have vast quantities of office documents on it as well. What is my best move?

Sorry for the newb question, it's my first build :eek:

Solution
You only boot from the drive that the OS is installed on. The other drive is for files or programs. 240GB is quite a bit, and it will probably be several months before you need the space from the other drive at all.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
And from then I just choose which hd to boot from each time I boot up? Do you recommend installing games on SSd for best performance? This is a huge blank area in my knowledge of computers. So it's pretty much impossible to switch between hds while windows is running? Again, I'm sure this is common knowledge but I just can't seem to find the answer