internet address box on taskbar

I have not seen this addressedon this thread, and in the larger scheme of
things it is not earth shaking--just annoying.

In ME I could type in an internet address in a box on the task bar rather
than first going to IE. Now I have XP. The instructions say I can set it up
(right click on empty space on taskbar; click on toolbars; click on
addresses) I did that and the word "address" is now on my taskbar. According
to the help menu, I should be able to double click it to enter an internet
address, but when I click it nothing happens.

Help??

Tucson Writer

In news:3D67D2A4-5477-4737-BE7F-98BC0CB30935@microsoft.com,
tucson writer <tucsonwriter@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have not seen this addressedon this thread, and in the larger
> scheme of things it is not earth shaking--just annoying.
>
> In ME I could type in an internet address in a box on the task
> bar
> rather than first going to IE. Now I have XP. The instructions
> say I
> can set it up (right click on empty space on taskbar; click on
> toolbars; click on addresses) I did that and the word "address"
> is
> now on my taskbar. According to the help menu, I should be
> able to
> double click it to enter an internet address, but when I click
> it
> nothing happens.

If there is no small window after the word "Address" to enter a
URL, it may be that there isn't enough room given to it. There
should be a vertical bar to the right of the word "Address" that
you can drag to the right and make the window visible.

If the bar won't move, the task bar may be locked. In that case,
right click on a blank part of the task bar and uncheck "Lock the
taskbar," then try again.

Please reply to the newsgroup

You can also type or paste internet addresses in the Start | Run box.

Windows key + the R key also brings up the Run box.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3D67D2A4-5477-4737-BE7F-98BC0CB30935@microsoft.com,
tucson writer <tucsonwriter@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have not seen this addressedon this thread, and in the larger scheme of
> things it is not earth shaking--just annoying.
>
> In ME I could type in an internet address in a box on the task bar rather
> than first going to IE. Now I have XP. The instructions say I can set it
> up (right click on empty space on taskbar; click on toolbars; click on
> addresses) I did that and the word "address" is now on my taskbar.
> According to the help menu, I should be able to double click it to enter
> an internet address, but when I click it nothing happens.
>
> Help??
>
> Tucson Writer

Thanks everybody. I'm very happy to have TWO alternatives now for typing in
internet addresses on the desktop. WOW!
Tucson Writer

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You can also type or paste internet addresses in the Start | Run box.
>
> Windows key + the R key also brings up the Run box.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3D67D2A4-5477-4737-BE7F-98BC0CB30935@microsoft.com,
> tucson writer <tucsonwriter@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have not seen this addressedon this thread, and in the larger scheme of
> > things it is not earth shaking--just annoying.
> >
> > In ME I could type in an internet address in a box on the task bar rather
> > than first going to IE. Now I have XP. The instructions say I can set it
> > up (right click on empty space on taskbar; click on toolbars; click on
> > addresses) I did that and the word "address" is now on my taskbar.
> > According to the help menu, I should be able to double click it to enter
> > an internet address, but when I click it nothing happens.
> >
> > Help??
> >
> > Tucson Writer

Try unlocking the Taskbar. Then clicking on Address.
"tucson writer" <tucsonwriter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have not seen this addressedon this thread, and in the larger scheme of
> things it is not earth shaking--just annoying.
>
> In ME I could type in an internet address in a box on the task bar rather
> than first going to IE. Now I have XP. The instructions say I can set it
> up
> (right click on empty space on taskbar; click on toolbars; click on
> addresses) I did that and the word "address" is now on my taskbar.
> According
> to the help menu, I should be able to double click it to enter an internet
> address, but when I click it nothing happens.
>
> Help??
>
> Tucson Writer

TRENDING THREADS