Sign in with
Your question

Brand New ASUS Radeon HD 6670 over heating problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2012 11:36:14 AM

I just bought an ASUS Radeon HD 6670 less than a week ago and it seems to me it is over heating. Idle, it is at 65 Degrees Celcius, When running games, such as MW3, on High Settings ( Extra settings is highest ) and at my monitors Native resolution ( 1600x900 ) , it climbs up to over 100degrees Celcius. And just now, my computer turned off while playing, this can't be good. What is going on ?

Here are my system specs:
CPU: Intel E6750 Dual Core @2.67Ghz per core.
Memory: DDR2RAM 3.25GB
Power Supply: 400W
June 23, 2012 11:48:09 AM

Definitely shutting off to protect the card from burning up. 100 is pretty high.
June 23, 2012 3:59:49 PM

iLejend said:
I just bought an ASUS Radeon HD 6670 less than a week ago and it seems to me it is over heating. Idle, it is at 65 Degrees Celcius, When running games, such as MW3, on High Settings ( Extra settings is highest ) and at my monitors Native resolution ( 1600x900 ) , it climbs up to over 100degrees Celcius. And just now, my computer turned off while playing, this can't be good. What is going on ?

Here are my system specs:
CPU: Intel E6750 Dual Core @2.67Ghz per core.
Memory: DDR2RAM 3.25GB
Power Supply: 400W

That is way too hot. Turn off the computer. If you want to try something, open the case, turn the computer on and try to see if the fan on the GPU is spinning. May be a loose connection, which may or may not be easily fixable depending on how the board.
Related resources
June 23, 2012 5:15:48 PM

I had that same card from XFX and it crapped out after about 2 weeks of gaming. I would RMA that card and get a replacement or a different card.
June 23, 2012 5:39:09 PM

avenseth12 said:
I had that same card from XFX and it crapped out after about 2 weeks of gaming. I would RMA that card and get a replacement or a different card.

You had the same Asus card from XFX eh? Interesting.

Anyways, make sure the gpu fan is spinning. If so, you can go into Catalyst Control Center and turn up your fan speed. This should cool the card down, it may be stuck on 25% or something.

An overstressed power supply could also overheat and cause your temps to rise in your case. If it's a generic 400w, it's likely really a 300w, and it may be on it's last legs.
!