Sign in with
Your question

Will Ivy Bridge be discontinued?

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 12:09:56 PM

I was reading online and Intel is going to discontinue its Sandy Bridgs processors in March and as well as an Ivy bridge too.

When Haswell comes out, wi Ivy bridge be discontinued shortly after? Should I get an Ivy bridge now or can I wait later?
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 12:13:03 PM

Select models will begin to be phased out to make room for Haswell. It will not be an overnight killing off of every single processor previously made. Ivy will remain available, as even when Intel kills off the previous generation, stores will still sell whatever stock they have.

Though, if you want to wait until Haswell to buy Ivy... wha... why not just get Haswell?
December 28, 2012 12:28:16 PM

Problem is Haswell will have a new chipset LGA 1150, which would require me to get a new motherboard, I could do this yes but I have to unplug everythig remove screws, it's just a lot of work. I see what you mean though, it would be better to do to future proof it but I'm not sure yet, if the prices are good then maybe.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 12:33:31 PM

Well, hopefully Intel won't pull a Ivy and put their Haswell processors at a higher price than Sandy, and keep Sandy prices the same. Previously, new processors would be released either at the same price or cheaper, and the previous generation then got a nice discount. Didn't happen this year, but maybe when Haswell comes out it will happen again and you can pick up Ivy for a little cheaper.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 12:33:53 PM

I read where their discontinuing 150 different models
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 12:56:19 PM

The problem Intel have this time around is the new socket, if you can call that a problem.
Ivy was a straight swap with sandy with better power/perf and the GPU side was increased.
So we ended up with CPU's that were pretty much on par with Sandy, better in some parts but not enough to make a real difference.
Basically if your buying new get ivy if you were waiting for an upgrade then hold fire unless you wanted to go from a lower tier CPU to the next one up. As has been said Sandy prices didn't really move.

I don't know what to expect from the motherboards/chipset. Will there be a reason due to support or new features to switch to the new socket ?
It could be that the performance will be reason enough. Trouble is I cant see Intel moving much on the price vs performance side of things as long as AMD are not challenging them to do so. I expect the Haswell version of the 2500K/3570K to be priced about the same as these chips are now.

The i3 chips may be the ones that prompt the upgrade, usually the Motherboards have released the cheaper versions by the time the i3 is released and midrange budget conscious buyers could well get a decent upgrade for a decent price. Intel's next chip (Broadwell) is said to be the same socket, there are also rumours that it wont but the latest is that it is ? so it could be a good time to change up knowing there is a future upgrade path.

Mactronix :) 
December 28, 2012 1:13:14 PM

Wtf, first I learn about Haswell now there's Broadwell. Why can't they just stick releasing new CPUs every 2 years or so rather than a new year. Basically, If I get ivy I am good to go, I just get a processor and I'm done. Haswell, I need a new motherboard and I still have to buy the processor. Should I wait for Haswell then?
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 7:13:51 PM

Well what do you want your PC to be able to do ? Something like a 3750K will give you plenty of gaming power for a good few years to come if you take over clocking into it then you could go further.

Mactronix :) 
a c 446 à CPUs
a c 110 å Intel
December 28, 2012 11:11:36 PM

Even if Intel was to immediately stop production of all Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs the day Haswell ships there should still be residual inventories of those CPUs that are warehoused by e-tailers and Intel. There should be a readily available supply of those CPUs (especially ivy Bridge) even at the end of 2013.

Naturally, if there are discount sales every now and to empty out existing inventories to make room for other things, then the supply of socket 1155 CPUs could decrease faster.

If you already have a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU, then you may or may not want to bother upgrading to Haswell. There are no real hints as to the actual performance boost Haswell will have over Ivy Bridge. I say someone post this morning that he heard it will be a 50% increase. Not even in his wildest dream will it even come close to 50%.

I think it will be less than a 10% increase in performance (assuming same clockspeed) because Intel is focusing more on reducing power consumption than on performance. Broadwell will likely see a 10%+ improvement over Haswell. The die shrink down to 14nm will allow the CPU to reduce power consumption. Intel at that point can increase CPU performance to where Broadwell CPUs do not consume more power than Haswell CPUs.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 7:18:12 AM

Altiris said:
Wtf, first I learn about Haswell now there's Broadwell. Why can't they just stick releasing new CPUs every 2 years or so rather than a new year.

Huh?

Intel has been doing this since... forever? It is also part of their tick-tock strategy. And hey, why stop progress because you don't like it? NO ONE is forcing you to upgrade. Its like saying "Hey Apple/Samsung/HTC/LG/etc, why do you keep releasing a new phone every year?" And get this, they have these processors planned all the way out to 2016. Haswell -> Broadwell -> Skylake -> Skymont. So just stick with what you want to upgrade to and keep it until its time for a suitable replacement. Since you already have the current socket (thus wanting Ivy), I want to know what processor you have. If its already a 2500K, then there isn't any point in upgrading until either Broadwell or Skylake.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 11:10:08 AM

It's a communist plot, I'm building a CPU called BACON when it sizzles you just eat it, my next model is going to be JERKY it should last longer than BACON... :sol: 
!