Sign in with
Your question

Is my Sapphire HD 7850 OC heating up too much?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 12:39:27 PM

Hi guys, I honestly don't know anything about cooling, my brother said it was fine, but I just want to check with you guys :D 

I have a Sapphire HD 7850 OCed Edition, and was wondering whether hitting 45 degrees while Idle was too hot. I don't have any special gaming case, but there is plenty of ventilation and space in the case. I also hit around 65 degrees while playing Blacklight Retribution at the resolution 1920x1080 with max settings, so is that fine too?

EDIT: My gpu seems to actually idle at 39 degrees, it was a little higher since I just finished a game. CPU is 37 degrees as well if that helps.

Many thanks,,

JJ1217

More about : sapphire 7850 heating

June 23, 2012 12:55:31 PM

depends on your ambient temperatures now that is summer my gtx 560 OC ir getting arround 41-43º idle with Direct CUII at 2250rpm, I think its pretty normal. OC Gpus tend to get higher temperatures. I was thinking getting lian li Bs-08 to cool down the top of the graphic card, it get hot near the psu connectors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 12:59:28 PM

Ah ok, it is Winter here in Australia, so would that make my GPU cooler than what it would be in the summer? If so I might have some problems in the summertime.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 2:18:31 PM

dont worry mate same here india delhi winter u pc run cool and summer spending more bucks on cpu gpu cooler just ok with stock one or u can remove the dust from gpu and change thermal may also affect temperature
m
l
June 23, 2012 2:41:28 PM

Well since it is winter over there the inside of your house might be warmer. So in turn your ambient temperatures. The temps in your local environment or room is what the real factor is.

It is summer here in NY but I have my air conditioner on so my ambient temps in my case usually float around ~20-25c depending on what I am doing. My temps for my OC CPU is at around ~40c and my graphics card is at around ~48c.

As long as your load temperatures don't go anything above ~90c you are fine. If it goes above that then you should worry. And I mean heavy load, not playing some 5 year old game, I mean running Prime 95 or BF3 maxed out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 3:32:41 PM

JJ1217 said:
Hi guys, I honestly don't know anything about cooling, my brother said it was fine, but I just want to check with you guys :D 

I have a Sapphire HD 7850 OCed Edition, and was wondering whether hitting 45 degrees while Idle was too hot. I don't have any special gaming case, but there is plenty of ventilation and space in the case. I also hit around 65 degrees while playing Blacklight Retribution at the resolution 1920x1080 with max settings, so is that fine too?

EDIT: My gpu seems to actually idle at 39 degrees, it was a little higher since I just finished a game. CPU is 37 degrees as well if that helps.

Many thanks,,

JJ1217

Don't worry...your temps are fine. GPUs tend to run much hotter than CPUs and are okay even into the high 80s or low 90s.
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:46:48 AM

My Idle is 25°C now in winter.. while ambient is 15°C..so if ambient is 30°C when its summer the idle temperature will raise to 40°C. So this means that if you have 41-43°C on your non very good PC case then everything is normal.
m
l
!